1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My take on Harris.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Jan 10, 2023.

1. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    It depends. If we got a Saquon Barkley/Derrick Henry/Nick Chubb in the first round it would probably be worth it. Najee is pretty close, its just the career longevity that hurts. Why take 6-7 years of a RB's career if you can have 10 with a WR or CB, or 12-15 with a QB, etc. I think with another improvement in the OL and offense and him staying healthy, he should have a great year next year.

I don't think we are selling out for the "grind it out" game. We certainly are closer to that in that we are trying to establish a great running game, but I think if KFP evolves that they will let him sling it around some. Really we need to get our ILB situation figured out. If we can control the clock and force opposing teams to throw... then our defense can do what its good at (sacks, turnovers). That's a pretty good recipe to win. Even against the Chiefs and Bills.

2. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Agree. His intangibles help soften the blow. But that center for the Raven's would've looked pretty good in black and gold!

3. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Derrick Henry seems to be doing alright. Harris has a lot of him in his game. With a young Picketts, a lot of pressure will come off him, and with Warren if the Steelers can get an offensive mind that can take them to the next level. Steelers stock pile 2 or 3 offensive lineman in this draft, get one good defensive tackle and a stud inside linebacker, this team starts to look scary. Steelers arent paying anyone big money on the offense yet so gotta take advantage of the cap the next 3 years before Pickett garners 30+ mil per.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They were drafted in different seasons. Harris was 2021. Linderbaum was 2022.

5. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Was Bettis a homerun threat?

• Winner Winner x 3
  6. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Center is another position I hate in the first. Linderbaum looks good for a rookie for sure, but quality centers can be had so deep in the draft that a C has to be All-Pro to make them worth it in the first.

Also, Harris and Linderbaum weren't in the same draft.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    no - which is why I don't buy into needing a homerun threat.

the Najee of the last 3-5 games - I'll take that for 5 more seasons. THAT would be a win. the Najee of the first 8 games this year, he was a bust and could have been dealt in a trade for all I cared.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I really wanted them to take Linderbaum. He is already a lot better than Cole. It was also clear the Steelers were never going to take him. They didn't even go to Iowa's pro day.

Of course, if Pickett looks like he could develop into their long-term quarterback. That trumps everything else.

9. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The man can play, also was not used in the receiving game this year for some odd reason. We have two quality backs barring injury we will be fine
    at this position for the next 5 years.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He played a lot on third downs as a rookie. Warren took over that role this year. For once, Tomlin isn't running his No. 1 back into the ground.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011
    you're right. I don't know why I was thinking they were the same!

12. gibson43

Dec 19, 2011

You're right...I don't know why I thought they were the same. That said, I'm good with a C mid to late first round if he ends up being a 10 yr guy.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Not really however Bettis hardly never got tackled behind the line of scrimmage, not nearly as much as Harris. I believe Bettis had better OC and you didnt always know he was going to run the ball. You almost always know when Harris is going to run, usually always on 1st down. I will this Bettis you always new with a lead he was going to get you yardage and get you 1 st downs. Can you say that about Harris?

Just to be clear Harris is very serviceable like he did in the second half of the season. Weather that was due to his injury that caused him to dance too much I don't know. However they tell him at the break to quit dancing and hit the hole faster.

• Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ummm....all backs go down most of the time behind the line of scrimmage when they are met by 2 to 3 defenders behind the line of scrimmage. Do Me a favor friend, and show Me 5 plays He was brought down behind the line of scrimmage running....when this wasn't this way.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    He can't. He is just blowing smoke.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    He could have had better blocking for sure. No disagreement.
    His stats are a bit misleading though. he was too indecisive and picked the wrong lane far too many times, resulting in earlier contact than there could have been. His lack of acceleration is also going to result in earlier contact than other RB's.

17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    he showed great talent late in the season, that is for sure.

18. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    What would the talking heads say if najee was as bad as henry was early in his career?

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    All the top offensive tackles were gone by the time the Steelers pick came up, Najee was probably the highest rated played on their board.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers actually had more rushing yards this season than the Chiefs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. steelersrule6

Nov 14, 2011
    The same story with Creed Humphrey you had fans wanting the Steelers to draft him in the first round, I don't think the Steelers went to his pro day, and I guess they liked Freiermuth more in the second round.

• Like Like x 1
  22. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Najee has proven, especially the last month that he is legit. He was injured almost all year. Najee can ball and I think, barring injury, he will lead the league in rushing TDs next year. If Tomlin wasn’t a dunce, he would have had another TD this year. He has a nose for the goal line and Picketts sneak kills adds to the advantage.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It seems that they really thought they could get Greene in the third and he would be their center. Oops.

24. Trellaine

Trellaine Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2015
    As much as a jerk that he was I miss watching a back like Le’veon Bell :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    if we are sticking strictly to the question, i can assure you that we all can find 5 plays where he went down behind the LOS and it was not due to 2-3 guys gang tackling him. come on children. Najee was awful the first half of the season. he could not get out of the way of his own shadow.