1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My take on Harris.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Jball, Jan 10, 2023.

1. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I agree with OP. Taking a RB in the 1st round is a mistake. I don't care who the RB is, they're not worthy of a 1st round pick.

Harris is a good RB, but he's not a home run hitter. There's a lot of teams around the league that grind out wins the same way the Steelers are hoping to. The only one finding any real success with it is the 49'ers. The rest are all pretty mediocre. A grinding style possession game works if you have a great defence to back it up. Otherwise the high scoring offences like the Chiefs and Bills will just blow us out of the water. The game favours offence way too much these days. Grinding out wins is possible, but much harder than it used to be.

2. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    I didn't mean any offence. All in good fun.
    I don't think there's anything wrong with evaluating our players, both good and bad. If the only thing we did was offer solutions to improve the team, the message board would be awfully quiet. There's only so many possible solutions.

But I'll give you one. Playaction!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am all about improving the Steelers to WIN BIG, this native is restless.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t think the plan is for the Steelers to win games by grinding them out. I think they are hoping to build a balanced attack that can move the ball up and down the field via the ground and air and put up a lot of points.

The ground game is so undervalued, KC would be unstoppable if they could run the ball. I don’t want a team that can do only one or the other, much easier to defend, especially when you get to the playoffs.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Harris did improve his running style in the second half of the season. Just read where Ray F on his chat said that on the bye week the Steelers told Harris to quit dancing and run straight ahead. Finally somebody said it to him. That makes him serviceable but he will never be a homerun threat.

6. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Time will tell I guess. Harris will never be a home run hitter though. He's going to be much more of a 4 yards and cloud of dust kind of guy. I agree that a ground game is important, but I think big play ability from your RB is also important and we don't have that.

As for KC. They run the ball better than we do, they just don't run it as often. I don't think they're interested in running it as often. They prefer to throw to the RB. Pacheco has been very good for them and McKinnon has been a beast in the passing game

7. 4124life

4124life Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2018
    I hear you, we will see next season, I think Najee breaks out. We tried looking past the second and we had a roster filled with Benny snells and jaylen samuels type talents.

RB has become undervalued, look at all the premier backs taken in the first round in history. We will see next season if Najee over etienne. Year 3 will tell us a lot after we address the OL

8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    since he was hurt, why way Tomlin HELLBENT on playing him - when all of us saw it? another reason why we went 2-6 the first 8. Warren should have played more then

9. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    That’s not saying much. KC doesn’t have what anyone would consider a good ground game.

Bell wasn’t a HR hitter either and that worked out pretty well for our offense. I see Harris in that same mold. They got away from throwing it to him as much, probably because he was injured.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Tomlin is not a soft guy, if you can go out there you’re going to play. Maybe he didn’t feel Warren could handle the full load, maybe he was still learning protections. I don’t know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They have a higher average per carry, but they run a lot less. It also helps that every defense is going to prioritize the passing game and largely ignore the run. Defenses aren't going to play the Steelers that way.

12. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

It worked well for Chase and Fields!!!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I will forward this to Art, Omar, and Mike to let them know. lol

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    If he can bottle what he did in the last 2 games, we are good!

15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Harris, Warren with Kenny. I got high in the sky apple pie hopes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    13 more yards per game

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You are not mentioning that when they played a 14 game season they ran the ball more , and threw the ball less per game.

• Like Like x 1
  18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This :this!:

• Like Like x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    it hurt the team, it was not the best assessment and plan. Harris looked awful for a good part of the season. Yes, it is Tomlin criticism. Why not mix and match with our other backs? Things we will never know, but playing him almost exclusive was myopic, it hurt us. Play 26 and Snell some, anything.....

when Harris WAS out, it was a nice mix with those guys

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    This thread reminded me of a Steeler killer in the late 50's and 60's. Jim Brown. Now I understand the game has changed and they really ran the ball more back then. In 12 game seasons Jim would put up 13-14 hundred yard seasons. When they switched to a 14 game season he'd put up 17-18 hundred seasons. Why I don't get to impressed when a guy rushes for a thousand yards in 17 games.

Granted back then the run was so much more important then today. QB's throwing a lot more passes in todays NFL. I was young so memory so-so but I was at a game in 63-64. Pretty sure it was the year the Cleveland Browns were NFL Champs. Yes, you read that right. It was at old Pitt Stadium. They beat us that day but I remember we hung with them until late in 4th. Brown would simply carry a few guys as he ran. Linebackers are a lot bigger and faster in today's NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  21. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Run blocking improved as the year went on. Najee became healthier. Warren stepped in when needed. Looking forward to the running game in 2023.

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Harris had a number of factors holding down his production this year. The blocking wasn't there early in the season. The quarterback play was erratic all season. He was severely limited by his foot injury for half the season. He had to share carries with Warren. Given all of that and how he finished strong, overall, it was a positive season for him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. GoldBurgh

GoldBurgh Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2022
    Yeah and from what I'm seeing, he absolutely LOVES being a Steeler. That means a lot.

• Like Like x 2
  24. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    Oh for sure, I am definitely against drafting RB in the first round and spoke out against it when we drafted Harris. The position generally just isn't worth a first round pick unless you get super lucky. The only reason I am good with it now is because Harris is a darn good player and a locker room leader. Brings more than just what's on the field.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I'm very envious that you saw him play live.
    Are you familiar with Jim Brown's lacrosse career? He simply could not be stopped, to the point the entire game had to be revamped. He looked like he did on the football field, only the defenders didn't have the option to tackle him.

• Like Like x 1