1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Potential free agent targets

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Ender, Jan 9, 2023.

1. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Well, take Smith off that list… Looks like the Ravens are giving him a 5 year, $100M contract. Wow.

Maybe they’ll just have Lamar and Smith playing next season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Awe damn man, you beat me by a minute!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Hey, we should probably stop considering Smith now. ;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Well they just made Roquan the highest paid Lber. Man, TJ's contract is looking better and better

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    They have their lil rayray or Suggs now.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Cam Sutton

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes, we knew that offer was coming. I guess he likes.....losing!!!! LOL

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Yeah, let them do another Flacco like contract.

11. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I heard that earlier, then got home and saw this thread and ws like..yea you are going to get these guys cheap huh? lol

I just checked and we have an estimated Cap free of 13 million. That accounts for rollover and dead cap, it might go up if more TV revenue gets added..as the 225 million is estimated. I'm sure they will also do the standard contract adjustments and cuts to get more, but some on this board think we have a mountain to spend, we don't.

They have their own FA's they need to sign and extend, will likely go after a couple of mid tier positions on 1 year prove it deals like they did this year after the FA initial signing was over. I know we want splash, but rarely do the steelers do it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    So how do you counter Ravens signing R. Smith?

Can’t let him wreck the game for you again.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    :eek:
    Holy smokes! $20 million a year for an inside backer

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    The guarantee is only 45 to 49, so likely an out or restructure after 3 years. Still mind boggling though.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    His career is about finished anyway. Like I predicted. LoL. It's simple. Just look at the most injuries by a Qb in the last two years, and what do most have in common??? They all love to run around like a chicken with their heads cut off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    At least Flacco won them a SB. Lamar has won...one freaking playoff game period.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Funny there is a lot of talk about Edmunds being allowed to test the market because of the bloated contract they gave to old man Von Miller. They are still talking about $20 million per year for him. If we sign his brother will we get the Friends and Family discount?

I just heard this today, but Tremaine Edmunds is 1 month older than Kenny Picket. Both currently 24. (5 years in the league, but only a month older than our rookie QB.)

If Sports trac is correct the Bills have 39 players under contract for 2023 and are 7 million over the cap.
    upload_2023-1-10_22-22-36.png

I will give you $20 million to sign both Edmunds brothers, if you give me 2 offensive lineman and a WR with our first 3 picks. Deal?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    Like the idea of signing Orlando Brown, we need an upgrade at LT.

Go DL, CB or ILB in the draft.

also sign Brisset or Keenum as a backup QB

19. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    By not paying a middle linebacker 25 million when your franchise QB needs his own big deal.

20. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Chuks is fine at RT, doesn’t miss many games and he is earning middle of the road money. Leave him there IMO

Two realistic free agent targets that stand out to me are Tremaine Edmonds and Javon Hargrave as I think both will be on the move and have ties to Pittsburgh

I don’t think the Bills can keep Tremaine Edmonds, they are quite tight against the cap and don’t have much room to move money around. They are already paying Matt Milano a lot of money at LB as well. If the Steelers hold on to Terrell (which I think they will) he would probably love to come play with his brother. Word of caution however, signing him probably means cutting Jack and paying Edmonds a lot more. He is better than Jack but is he that much of an upgrade?

If Ogunjobi leaves in free agency they might look to re-sign Javon Hargrave. Eagles are another team that have limited resources. They’ve pushed a tonne of money into the future for a Superbowl run this year and they have a lot of young guys that are going to be looking for money soon, most notably Jalen Hurts. As much as I think they will hate to lose someone like Javon they can’t keep everyone

The first priority in the offseason before looking outside the building IMO should be to re-sign Sutton, Edmunds and Kazee, and maybe Ogunjobi, all depending on the money they want of course.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    Absolutely!

Seriously though, I NEVER thought I’d see Roquan Smith or any ILB get $20 million a year. My guesses were way off. We will likely have to get ILB help in the draft.

22. Ender

Ender

Apr 5, 2014
    I agree with you about Sutton. That should be a top priority.

Also I think you’re right about Tremaine Edmunds. Probably not gonna stay with the Bills, but wow did Roquan Smith just reset the ILB market. Not sure we can afford him.

You’re probably right about Hargrove too. Eagles have tons of talent on the DL and won’t be able to keep everyone.

I disagree about Chuks though. He looked like a matador for the last three games.

23. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Chuks allowed 3 sacks all season according to PFF and he played virtually every snap.

Don’t get me wrong, he is not great by any means, but he is not so bad that you’d cut him, deal with the dead money charge and bring in a much more expensive replacement. He is fine IMO, and his salary is about what it should be.

I’d be more concerned about Moore on the other side quite honestly, albeit to my eyes he improved a lot as the season went on.

24. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Allen is looking pretty good :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  25. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i'd pay sutton, but i wouldn't break the bank for sutton. depends what he has in mind worth wise.

wallace is solid.

pierre is OK.

kazee and maulet i would try to keep.

offer sutton a good deal but not outrageous money.

i really would like to see gilbert brought back to compete.

dawson is signed.

witherspoon is still under contract.

draft the kid from iowa.

bring in edmunds and sign his brother. keep jack. move with robinson. as much as i like spillane, i'm not sure the money would be there to include him as well.

leal, loudermilk, cam, wren, carl davis. draft one maybe 2.

o-line moved up 15 spots from last year. give meyer another year with them. i'd like to see cole moved to LG and keep trent scott as the backup tackle. drop green. keep mccullom or hasenauer as depth maybe both. keep dotson as depth. a couple of UDFA's signed.

drop gunner. keep sims. hope austin finally plays. maybe draft one.:cool: