1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Do the Steelers Need to Trust Pickett More?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Formerscribe, Jan 7, 2023.

1. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    https://theathletic.com/4057998/202...rs-clutch/?source=weeklyemail&campaign=602288

That is Mark Kaboly's argument in this article, which is behind the paywall. He thinks the Steelers should trust Pickett to play the whole game more like they did in the final moments of the last two weeks. He also thinks they should be throwing more play-action passes. According to his article, they only tried two against the Ravens, which is nuts when they ran the ball so well.

So, should they be trusting Pickett to do more?

I don't agree with the assertion that they have been asking Pickett not to lose games all season. They did put too much on him in his first two starts, mostly because the running game wasn't working so well then.

He started playing better when they went more conservative, but now he has a running game opponents have to respect and a little more game experience at this level. I don't think they need to go crazy passing, but maybe trusting Pickett a little more would make sense.

• Like Like x 3
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I Like exactly how they are managing Him right now.
    He had what ....about 27 pass in the last game, and about 30 the game before???
    I've always thought....unless You fall way behind....29- 34 passes a game ....no matter what kind they are.... is plenty.
    It keeps the D honest, and hard to key on things.
    I don't need My Qb to win passing titles. I need wins.
    IMO let Him slowly develop, teach Him and build confidence every game. JMO

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I think the Steelers are using him correctly as a game manager.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    I think they need to trust him more. That’s all on Canadas ****ty conservative play calling! It’s gonna bite him in the ass cuz u can’t expect Pickett to have game winning drives every game.

Canada needs to go!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    I say trust Pickens more.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Considering how much they have been struggling to score TDs in the red zone, I would have them go no huddle whenever they get to the opponent's 30 yard line.

• Like Like x 2
  7. jamie

jamie Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2015
    Here’s an idea, whatever your calling during the last 4 minutes of the Raiders & Ravens game, do the whole damn game.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    When Pickett first started he threw a lot of passes, that didn't work out too well, as long as the running game is working I'm good with him just being a game manager.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Must be Ben took over the play calling again.;+)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    Agree 100% and the timing of those passes is important. For the love of God, can we get a play action pass on a first down or 2nd down after establishing the ground game and it doesn't need to be a 50 yard pass down the sideline. A quick slant or the TE finding an empty spot in the zone, it doesn't need to be a long developing play but a play action that catches the LB's or DB's cheating on the run and hit the pass quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    At some point, they are going to have to open things back up. Maybe that is next season, but scoring 13 to 16 points per game isn't going to cut it long-term.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Agreed. Play action needs to be a bigger part of the offense, especially with the way they are running the ball. I don't want them to go back to having Pickett throw the ball 50 times, at least not yet, but they are just so conservative right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...sedgntp&cvid=c0176c1810eb4a9192d3955938c080cd

Just saw this about consulting Kenny about Canada's future. I get it, kinda. You are establishing your young QB, have seen so many teams fall apart when these changes take place and there is no communication between the QB, but I hate the word 'consulting' lol..should be Hey Ken we are making a change, wanted to let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Busman

Busman

Oct 18, 2011

Yes Kenny The Cube is matured dramatically and gets better weekly. I thought he should be on the field when we were running our QB experiment. He is ice, chill and the future franchise QB.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tarasovic

Tarasovic Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2020
    Yes, He is the future.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The number of pass attempts is not a big problem for me,the problem is the number of pass attempts of over 10 yards,this is way too low.In 2004 and 2005,the steelers did not pass very often but very often when it was a pass attempts it was for a deep shot(8.9 yards per pass attempts in each of the first 2 seasons for Ben)

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    IMO....if We quit shooting ourselves in the foot every time We get in the Redzone.... with all the self imploding penalties....that in itself should fix some of the scoring.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    I like what they are giving him right now for the most part. Would like to see him go down the field just a little bit more though.
    I want to win every game and go to the Super Bowl every year, but at the same time I’d like to see them develop Pickett in a reasonable timeframe.
    Things are looking very promising for Pickett and the Steelers.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think anybody wants to see them go back to throwing 50 times in a game, but mix in some play-action and deeper routes. If they do get into the playoffs, going super conservative just isn't going to work against the Chiefs or Bills.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agree. I few more shots down the field to loosen up the defense could pay dividends.

• Like Like x 1
  21. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    For me, I want 40+ passes a game. Of course I want the Steelers to win, but this offense is like watching paint dry.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Most definitely they should trust him more. It’s absolutely perplexing that with our running game, Canada doesn’t seem to have play action as part of his Saturday playbook. If Pickett can demonstrate that he’s got the ability to go over the top, the short to intermediate passing game should get even better than it already is. The sky is the limit for this offense but to reach its full potential it’ll have to be with a new OC designing the playbook and calling the plays.

23. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    I think they should definitely trust him more, but I think Coach Cower said it best when he said you can't put a rookie QB in a position to feel like he has to carry the team when everyone else is not playing well. He needs a good supporting cast to help carry him, while allowing him to grow in confidence and grow into a leadership position where he can help carry the team as he improves.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I say go....no huddle, all the time... if Steelers make the playoffs vs Bills.

• Like Like x 1
  25. doubleyoi

doubleyoi

Apr 26, 2012
    Definitely need to use play action more. Freeze the LB to open up middle for muth

• Like Like x 1