1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

“I severely, in my opinion, underestimated Kenny.":Roethlisberger said sky is the limit for Kenny

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Jan 4, 2023.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 3
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I think Tommy Maddox said the same thing about Ben. :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  3. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    Don't jinx him Ben.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    :lolol:

5839189A-DDD2-4F54-8860-619159A193ED.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  5. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    Did Ben previously say something publicly about thinking Kenny had limited potential? I don’t remember seeing anything like that but haven’t been following him.

6. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    No...he further explained he thought it only and didnt say it.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Ben did what we all do, judge a guy after a handful of NFL games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I was watching that clip yesterday morning, early.
    Ben is right for saying what he says and I have nothing else..
    Ben is a Tic-Tok guy now, I am fine with his show.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am a KP fan, I am withholding my judgement for some time until
    I see him consistently play at a high level week in week out and show
    his leadership skills week in and week out. Let's revisit this in a couple years.
    I love what I see presently.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I think the leadership has been there all along, at least as much as it can be for a rookie. The team seemed to respond to him immediately. His decision-making has gotten a lot better. My question is if the coaches are keeping him reigned in or if he is doing that to himself.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    all that I had read from Ben was very positive, so this is news to me too

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I hadn't heard anything negative from him, either. I think the point was that he initially thought of Pickett as good, but limited, and now he thinks there is more potential there than he had realized.

13. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    Ben never said he thought poorly of Kenny. It was just how he framed it. He explained that you expect to see growth in the 2nd and 3rd years (Look at Josh Allen). Given that expectation we are seeing some growth from Kenny that he wasn’t expecting.

Bottom line, Ben was paying him a compliment and the headlines tried to create drama, to be believed by the folks who don’t watch his Channel7.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think it was the growth that surprised him, though he did comment on that as a positive. I think he was surprised by Pickett's talent. He talked about how Pickett throws the ball better and that he is a better runner than he had expected. I think he is far from alone in that. Many people on and off this site still think of Pickett as a guy with a low ceiling. Roethlisberger seemed to be saying he thought that way, too, but now he sees that Pickett has more upside than he expected.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    This is why you have to see a full body of work and not a portion here or there to judge, either way, good or bad. Lots of media knuckleheads throwing out judgements which are usually wrong and are not accountable for making any of them. Still, they have followers I guess as some want others to do the thinking for them. Just look at their weekly projections and that is all you need to see to prove that they can't guess better than anyone else. People are finicky so let's hope KP doesn't throw 3 picks and we lose as we'll be right back where we were mid-season with talk about KP"s future. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Listening all year to different broadcasts the comments generally are sometime in the 2nd year you really start to see a new QB get a command of the game. We see the growth, he has the team with him, like you this is what I want to see next year. Some of this is personal growth..which I believe his love and passion for the game will help him, but the rest is how the organization moves to help him in that growth. There are some pretty good core players around him, now will they provide a system that can use these talents to sustain drives and put TD's on the board.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I like what I'm seeing from Kenny. But, I need to see, a complete and dominating lead offense ... for this last game. Give them a preview of next season!

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joshi

Joshi Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2019
    In some ways KP is the opposite of a young Ben who had arm talent and size which was obvious very early, but completely lacked leadership. Of course Ben was 21 and KP is 24 so that may okay a part in the difference in maturity.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Trevor Lawrence reportedly had the highest character and leadership grades any scout had ever given since Andrew Luck. For me personally, even at the QB position, age does not factor into maturity. Hell, CJ Stroud will be 21 and there have been very few concerns about his character.

20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think Ben's comments are fine and people that didn't actually see him say it and are simply reading it are making more out of it is than should be. Ben is tipping his cap.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This. I watched it....So I agree :this!:

• Like Like x 1
  22. The Sodfather

The Sodfather Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    That's where I am as well. The article I read had the tone that Ben is complimentary NOW, so he must have had his doubts before. I never heard that from Ben. Truth is that Pitt fans undoubtedly saw KP play much more than Ben and had a better idea of what he brought. Ben had to wait and see.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    There was no reason for Ben to talk about his previous opinion if he hadn't shared it before. Little bit of "the look at me" in there as usual. But these guys need to fill airtime.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  24. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I love the potential I see in pickett. The game isn't too big for him. The pressure isn't too much for him. He has all the tools. It's just whether he can put it all together. Time will tell if coaching is holding him back or if he's going to be a guy that flashes but can't consistently put up points.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I agree I think he’ll continue to surprise but Canada gonna have to go

• Like Like x 2