1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

How do we Fix the Run Defense?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelresolve, Dec 12, 2022.

1. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Need some run stoppers..Have to clog the running lanes and have LB 'S that can tackle and get off blocks...You have to have the ability to make teams one dimensional..Our D line can make plays but they can't substain it ...They definitely miss Tuitt, Hargrave and a younger Cam... Inside linebacker play has been horrible...Think I'd rather see Vince Williams in there, at least he had heart.We have been spoiled, no doubt about it , but after watching this defense get pushed around, not just against the Ravens but even the Falcons ran it down our throat in the second half I'm ready for some new blood on Defense...I think we should draft defense heavy with maybe an o lineman sprinkled in ,but this team needs to get back to being the Steelers I knew and to do that we need to invest heavily on that side of the ball...Replacing Canada and experience will do wonders for the offense..Have some young weapons In place and we just need a few upgrades.....WE NEED SOME NASTY BACK

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Big Snack was unblockable, Bell was flash in the pan, didn't he get traded to KC
    Then fizzled out? Not sure he made 5 years in NFL?

3. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    When Bell was healthy, he was a monster. In the last podcast by Ben, he had James Harrison on and they talked a bit about Bell. It was pretty neat.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    I think Tomlin can be a great leader of men and an observation of talent and unifying a team for a common purpose. All important qualities for a head coach. I don’t think his strong suite is the X’s and O’s. I would have no problem with him remaining head coach if he would just get out of the way on Defense and bring in some truly talented defensive coaches and allow them to do their thing. I think there are too many chiefs on that side of the team and it is mucking things up more.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Get better MIDDLE linebackers.

6. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Get better MIDDLE linebackers.

7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    The best player is the available player, like I said Bell was not
    Available. Making him irrelevant.

8. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    You and I are on the same page. I would love Sewell. I don’t think they will go for him. They could have had Leo Chenal in last years draft who was an absolute beast at both stopping the run and inside blitzes and the Chiefs drafted him in the third I believe and he is sitting on their bench. The NFL does not value these types of guys anymore. They basically want big safeties at ILB now. I don’t like it but if thats what they want then at least put some big guys in front of them to protect them. I would love Siaka as well but this team doesn’t seem to value those types. What are your thoughts on Bresee? I like him he is more old school 3-4 DE like an Arron Smith to me.

9. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Exactly - Ziggy Hood! Square Peg in a round hole. Tuitt and Hargrave were unique in that they were like hybrid NT/DT’s that could play multiple schemes and techniques. Tuitt was bigger and stronger than Cam and athletic for how big he was. Thought guys are hard to find. I am hoping they can get Derron Payne if he becomes available or Siaka but Tomlin will take a 6’4” 280 pounder and try and turn him into something he is not. Meanwhile we will have a 5’10” MLB in Bush behind him not being able to see the play because of his size and getting completely engulfed by a guard or tackle. It gets old seeing it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    need better ilb.-----need younger stronger faster dl----

11. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    need better coaching plans.

12. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    They have been trying for years. Either we can’t evaluate talent, we can’t coach them up or the scheme is not conducive to good linebacker play. I tend to think it starts with the scheme. But we also have been poor in the other areas was well. However the fact we had a guy from the outside come in who supposedly was very good at coaching linebackers in the past and have seen little improvement this year tells me it is more a scheme and personnel problem.

13. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I think Tomlin's defense has sort of conceded the run in an effort to pass rush and defend the pass.

I don't think they will ever truly have a dominant run defense again unless the defense changes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    Honestly I feel like were running a 4-2 now already. We basically made it our sole priority to focus on the passing game and as part of that priority our main priority is to get to the QB. If we don’t get to the QB or they run the ball then it seems we are just living on a hope and a prayer hoping somebody will step up to make a play on the backend. That somebody seem to usually be Minkah both in the run and pass. I don’t think we will ever go back to a true 3-4 because defending the pass is just to darn important. Since we don’t have the DB’s and haven’t for some time under Tomlin we essentially just rush the QB. If were only going to play with two down lineman They better be much bigger space eaters than what we currently have. If I were an ISL I would not like playing in this scheme for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Steelresolve

Apr 16, 2022
    I agree 100%. I think they became so enamored with beating Brady and the Patriots and then Mahomes came along and for some reason that has seemed to cause us to solely prioritize defending the pass....all while never investing in the DB position by the way. I always said with defenses transitioning to smaller faster players to defend the pass, why wouldn’t offensive minded teams build a smash mouth run game?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I love this discussion about more than “we need a “. We need a better scheme and players that can fit that scheme, on both sides of the ball. I suspect on offense we could be fine with player talent with a scheme to fit what we have. Defense needs a bit more talent (and less bloated contracts for only a handful of players who don’t play every down) and a scheme to match the talent we have and acquire. Hopefully does not take too long.

17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Our team should be built to win within our division, very good O lines
    And running attacks in in our division.

18. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    in another thread, I was saying how the organization is not doing anything logical or with a real plan. How they’ve set up the D is another example of bad planning.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This team is obsessed with these hybrid type players that don't seem to be very good at any one aspect. The game hasn't changed that much. It still comes down to positional football and lots of man vs man. They keep trying to jam these players into spots that they don't fit into. If you need a thumper to meet a RB in the hole, then draft a god damn thumper. Don't try to get a guy who can do everything because that likely means he's not particularly good at anything. There's not that many guys out there who are thumpers and speed guys. If they are, they go early in the draft and it's usually obvious what they are.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Agreed TH
    Agreed that's why we need the ability meaning 2 CB'S and a Safety and send Edmunds down the road..

21. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The last 4 teams we play can all run the ball. Carolina just ran for over 220 yards last week against Seattle. The Raiders have Jacobs one of the best RB's in the NFL. We know what the Ravens run game will do to us and then the Browns who are all about running the ball. It could get real ugly for the run defense the rest of the season.

• Like Like x 1
  22. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Need more Calgon!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Problem is.....when We run the 3-4 now .....We run it differently. We actually attack with our line now. Back then We hardly did....they were mainly to hold point, and occupy position, and players so our LBS, and others could flow towards the ball. Now it's not use that way.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I've said, will keep saying.
    The O needs help, but the Defense needs help at one position of every level.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    No.

• Disagree Disagree x 1