1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm starting to believe....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RockyBleier, Dec 8, 2022.

1. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Ok you don’t want them to tank

But you want them to go for a higher draft position

Exactly what do you want them to do

No need to use the word mediocre for the 47th time

• Like Like x 1
  2. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah, in general though you have to finish with less than 5 wins to have a shot at a top 5 pick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Old Buffalo team, yes, this Buffalo team not so much. Lot of arrogance for a team that still hasnt done anything.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That is not a fair comparison and I think you know it. Lemieux and Crosby were on an entirely different level. There is no player in the upcoming NFL draft who is regarded as being as much of a sure thing as either of those guys. I'm not sure you get that sort of sure thing in football. Some might say Peyton Manning, but there were actually people who thought Leaf would be better. Sure, those people look foolish with hindsight, but it was a more reasonable take at the time.

Also, one elite player makes more of an impact in hockey, which has smaller rosters. I'm not sure even a quarterback could make a long-term impact comparable to that of Lemieux.

So yeah, if there was a guy comparable to Lemieux, maybe it would be worth rooting for a few more losses, but that guy doesn't exist in the 2023 NFL draft. There is no prospect even close to that level.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Isn’t that true of most/all teams

Those whippersnapper kids now a days ain’t not the same

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Once again fair points and well articulated thank you

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I want them to be contenders and come January have the same excitement I once had….

I realize neither option is a guarantee

• Like Like x 1
  8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I’m asking how you propose they achieve your/my/almost everyone’s goal

Keep in mind I want you to be excited in January

• Like Like x 2
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. Lost Boys. I took My ex old lady to see that movie.
    I watched something not too long ago that they were using that in.....I can't remember what , but whatever it was was making Me laugh.

• Like Like x 2
  10. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Yeah everyone says that now, but I promise You 50%(not sure of the %, but a lot:smiley1:)people were not saying that then....
    This is basically what they were saying.
    1. Last year was a fluke
    2. What's it matter if We make it , or not....Cowher chokes in the big games.
    3. We real weren't as good as We showed last year. It was our schedule.
    4. Troy P is a midget.
    5. Belichick show everyone how to beat us.
    I'm not saying We are that team.....I am saying....even then same type of , and amount of people were doubting it all.
    Also I'm saying if only 3 teams have a chance....why even should anyone other than those 3 even go to the playoffs.
    Any given Saturday/Sunday/Monday, and Thursday. LoL
    That's Why.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly.....I was comparing the doubt.

12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And No Matter what.....that is very important. :thumbs_up: There is a reason No Rookie Qb has ever won a SB. They need that experience.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    [​IMG]

14. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    There's a 1st time for everything. Once upon a time, a 6th seed never won a SuperBowl

• Like Like x 3
  15. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If TJ didn't get hurt, we might've been right in the middle of the playoff mix.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm certain of it. If Watt is healthy, they win at least one of those games against the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins. That puts them at 6-6 without losing the tiebreaker to every single team they are chasing. It would still be a tough road, but it would at least be possible.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    At least. I think with Watt they take two of those three. It would’ve been an exciting time right now. Instead we’re pretty much looking forward to next season.

18. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    i kinda thought it was drafting well...regardless of what # the pick is....but carry on. They haven't dont great even with first rd picks regardless if they moved up or not.

19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022

20. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    The number we need to be concerned with that speaks the loudest is 0-6. We are 0-6 against teams that are in playoff contention this year. I dont know what more proof or evidence you all need to see or hear or whatever, but that stat alone speaks volumes. We are not contending against the teams that are good. I dont care how close the scores were in those games, the only numbers that matter are in the wins and loss columns. I have been a fan of this team for an extremely long time, more than half a century, I dont ever want this team to lose, but I have seen good teams and I have seen bad teams. This team is closer to the bad than the good. Thats just an honest opinion. Are we 2-3 players away from being great or contenders again, possibly, which is why draft position is even more crucial at this time. Its not about tanking or quitting, I know I have never suggested that. I am simply stating that the earlier we draft the more likely we are to find the players or player we need to bring us back to the ACTUAL STEELER STANDARD!!

21. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Ive brought that up several times. We are better than the bottom feeders which seems to be the goal around here. “ go root for the Lions and Browns” I guess that’s our new comparison and rightfully so. We rarely beat good teams and we don’t win playoff games.

22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They are just an average team. No better no worse. They were below that line early on. They have a lot of work to do in the off season.

Both ILBers are junk

The left side of the offensive line needs an upgrade.

The corners are in tatters. They are probably going to lose Sutton, he's not taking the crumbs they will offer him.

You want Edmonds back? Inconsistent. He will get a contract else where. Kazee should be the replacement.

The defensive line which I thought was improving showed yesterday that they are not. Is Heyward becoming a liability?

So many needs for this team to even sniff being above average.

Weidl and Kahn have their hands full in the off season

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    No, that isn't the goal around here. Please stop putting false claims in the mouths of others.

• Like Like x 2
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    eh - hem

we suck.

25. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Perhaps I'm being pedantic, but these two sentences don't make sense together. It's fair enough that wins and losses are what matter at the end of the day - can't really dispute that - but that's different to say we aren't contending with those teams. Sure, we've been blown out by some. But the Steelers were in contention up against the Ravens up until the end, even with 3 interceptions.

Unless you weren't counting the Ravens, which I suppose would be fair given their injuries.