1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm starting to believe....

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by RockyBleier, Dec 8, 2022.

1. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s not about wanting the Steelers to lose it’s about being stuck in purgatory or mediocrity. It’s a cycle we seem to be stuck in where the coach is never questioned because he’s always at least 500 as if that is some type of goal for the Steelers. If we do make the playoffs we get fing embarrassed and in either scenario end up picking early to mid 20s which you can give me every Brady or AB scenario you want I can give you 5X as many top picks panning out comparatively. Of course there is always busts and nothing is guaranteed. Well one thing is guaranteed MT will not make even another AFC Championship with the Steelers.

Every time people need to call one another out for being a bad fan or wanting the team to lose I call BS. I’m amazed so many fans on here are OK with no longer being an actual contender. We have not been a contender in 12 years now this isn’t some recent 1 or 2 year phenomenon. Yes we are better than the Lions and Jets of the world but why are we even comparing ourselves to those bottom feeder organizations? When did the mighty Steelers become OK with 0 playoff success and no real hope of winning another Lombardi?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Not buying your theory that they need to tank to get back to the top is not the same thing as accepting your claim that they have no hope of winning another Lombardi. It ain't happening this year, but assuming that a few more losses this year will fix it? That's crap.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I never said they should tank and they obviously are not or they wouldn’t have won these last two games. I’m simply saying in this thread people have stated if they say finished 5-12 as opposed to 8-9 or whatever it may be beneficial for the rebuild as they would have better draft capital. I’m really not sure how that is debatable? I do understand the idea of a losing culture and affecting young guys like Kenny but to say the idea of wanting higher draft picks instead of another mediocre non playoff winning season as ludicrous, that’s crap as well.

I understand nothing is guaranteed in a draft and players can be busts however I’d take my odds of consistently drafting at a higher spot thus getting the highest ranked prospects as opposed to drafting players ranked lower or with more flaws. I’m not saying it will fix everything by any means but it could help us to speed up the rebuild.

You telling me the Penguins for example having terrible seasons and then getting players like Mario or Sid didn’t completely change the trajectory of a franchise??

Last edited: Dec 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. AtlSteel

AtlSteel Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2021
    If I thought drafting high would give us different results, it might be a desirable silver lining to a terrible season. One high draft pick won't move the needle much. IMO as long as Tomlin is here, we will be stuck in the pretty good zone at best. As long as the organization is happy with a pretty competitive team that never sucks too bad and is usually in the playoff mix but never elite, then get used to the purgatory you describe. I would also prefer higher expectations and less patience from the organization. Something between Art II and Amy Strunk would be better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    This is a fair response and I somewhat agree. I do think getting better draft capital can help to speed things up with a rebuild however it’s fair to say none of this matters as long as the leadership stays the same. This entire group has become a colossal failure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He is progressing. Has nothing to do with making the playoffs. The game seems to be slowing down for him. He still has a lot of work to do but I like the direction. This was the number one priority for me this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Your avatar better have resulted in a extra special holding call as it seems 4 Titans are holding Watt and it still looks like he is about to eat the QB:)

• Like Like x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I'm sure the zebras had their heads turned not to see it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It would be great to have a miracle and make the playoffs in the rookie year of Pickett, but at the same time, the steelers would have no chance once again in the playoffs against a team like the chiefs.

10. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Consistently drafting high means consistently losing unless you’re consistently getting those high picks via trade.

I’m going to provide some simple facts which should end this debate. Here are the 2021 1st team all pros and their draft positions:

QB Rodgers 24
    RB Taylor 41
    RB Chubb 35
    RB Mixon 48
    WR Adams 53
    WR Kupp 69
    WR Samuel 36
    TE Andrews 86
    TE T Kelce 63
    T T Williams 4
    T Wirfs 13
    G Bitonio 35
    G Z Martin 16
    C J Kelce 191

Edge Watt 30
    Edge Garrett 1
    DT Donald 13
    DT Heyward 31
    DT C Jones 37
    LB Parsons 12
    LB Leonard 36
    LB Campbell 115
    CB Diggs 51
    CB Ramsey 5
    S Byard 64
    S Poyer 218
    S James 17

Just win.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    You completely miss the point. I don’t see any fans being Ok with not contending. What people are saying is the there’s absolutely no need to perform at a low level and suffer a very down year or two to become great. Look at my last post on the draft positions of last season’s all pros. Very, very few top 10 picks in last years all pro 1st team. Drafting high comes with being bad. Being bad breeds being bad. Great players can be had outside of the top 10 if you evaluate talent well. Just win and allow guys to grow in a winning culture.

Now… our coaching is another matter, but I’m not going to go there right now :beathorse:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Nice rants

Again

And again

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Do you think the Bills can take them out???? I'd love to see a Bills/Vikings SB. I think it would add interest if two franchises with 4 SB loses each play each other.

I would think the betting is on Chiefs/Eagles but I think there is a chance for my scenario but most I talk to about it feel both will lose respected conference championship games. Problem is both will be on the road for the games.

14. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

I don't believe in the vikings....I think it will be cowboys or eagles in the NFC.The 49ers would have a chance if Jimmy G would been healthy

For the AFC,I don't trust the chiefs defense.They can win the AFC but at the same time,they are 1-5 combined vs Bills and Bengals since last year and their win were their miracle win vs Buffalo in the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Fair enough and valid way to look at it. Nothing is a guarantee for sure.

16. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Really.....name Me a team in the AFC that really has a chance outside of Bills/KC/Bengals????
    So that's 3 for sure teams.
    So the playoffs should now only take 3 teams???
    Not trying to be a smart a$$ My Friend, but think on this.....outside of New York in 2008, and Pittsburgh in 2005 fans.....who in the world thought at the same time in the season... then....that either would/could go to the SB.....let alone win it??? :shrug: Hell even a lot of the Steelers fans didn't. I remember listening to them on the old board that year.

17. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Steelersfan43

Aug 10, 2016

Don't compare this steelers team with the loaded 2005 team who were much better that their seed and record(11-5) and who were 15-1 the year before....The only reason why the 2005 steelers did not win 13 game in the regular season was because the injury of Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Dolphins are a worthy and a number 4 outside chance at a run. After that? I mean I think Baltimore is a fraud we shall find out more about that tomorrow. Titans don’t have a good enough offense or QB

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    I don’t think he’s comparing this team to that version at least I hope to God not.

• Winner Winner x 1
  21. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    A lot of those guys are early second round which is part of the drafting early process. You don’t only get an early first rounder you get an early 2nd as well. I’m not disputing your facts and it was well thought out and calculated but you can certainly look at things from different perspectives. To me it just feels as though the Steelers are in this never ending cycle of mediocrity and I have to imagine some of that stems from always drafting players in the back half of a draft. Not only are you not getting the highest prospects in round 1 you are not getting them in rds 2-4 either.

22. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You can stop wasting thoughts on a high draft pick, they are already at pick 14. At this point, might as well see if they can catch lightening in a bottle. The very worst, Pickett and others will get some much needed playoffs experience.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Lately in the SB it’s not who I’m rooting for but rather who I’m rooting against

It would be hard to root against either Vikings or Bills

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    He should just quit wasting thoughts in general

Just a wasted thought

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012