1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chris Johnson Was Almost a Steeler

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Damn, who knows for sure if they would have drafted him, Johnson certainly thinks they were going to but this would have been so much better than Mendy.

Who knows, maybe they even win that SB with Johnson. Guy was a beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    That's gotta be the dumbest reason if it's true...

3. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Not really. Obviously they wanted him to take an MRI for a reason, if there were health concerns about him at that time and he refuses to take the MRI, you can definitely understand the Steelers hesitation.

I’d like to know why the Combine one wasn’t good enough for them. Maybe the people at the combine told them they rushed through it because he was smashing the button to get out. Who knows.

4. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    You don't think that having your career so impacted because of claustrophobia is a dumb reason? Just close your eyes when you get in the machine...

5. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I thought you were saying the Steelers were dumb because they passed on him over that reason.

And phobias aren’t that easy to deal with or no one would have phobias.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’m guessing people with claustrophobia don’t find it that easy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'm pretty sure that if we would have drafted CJ 2K the Steelers would have one more Lombardi on the shelf.

8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I never like these if stuff. Because never is it just one for one change. Once you change one thing it's really a domino effect. So who knows.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    U saying we would have won 7 more SBs?? Dammit! :)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  10. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Clearly you don't understand anxiety or phobias.
    Besides, I don't think his career was harmed. He did just fine

11. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Clearly you don't know about taking pills that would relax you to the point of dealing with anxiety and phobias in case, you know, you want to play for a super bowl winning team.

12. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Yes, because his choice was between playing for a losing team or getting the MRI and playing for a Superbowl winning team. if only we all had that luxury of predicting the future. He chose not to take an MRI because it obviously terrified him. A pill can help at the time of the MRI, but the anxiety is still there at the time he needed to make the choice. Anxiety is crippling.

Besides, if he hadn't gotten hurt in 2008, maybe Baltimore doesn't beat the Titans and maybe the Titans beat us. Lots of maybes and the end result is the only thing that matters, but it's not as if Johnson went to a bad team. They were the best team in the league during the regular season. He didn't make the choice of not playing for a SB winning team, that's just how it worked out in the end

13. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My older brother just lost his job because he couldn't handle the MRI machine and had to try 4x to get the scan. They finally had to put him under to find out he had a bulging disc and it was causing numbness on his left side. He missed too much work and was let go. Claustrophobia is a real problem for some people. I'm sure it looked to the Steelers like he was hiding something and even an explanation won't settle all the fears.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I don’t even have claustrophobia and I was a little freaked out being in that tube. I imagine someone with that phobia it would be crippling.

My phobia is heights and I can’t even lean against a window in a tall building.

How did your brother make out?

• Like Like x 1
  15. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The four try worked but he was sedated in order to get it done. The bulging disc was putting pressure on his nerve causing his left side to go numb. Apparently he freaked out the first time and the second he was screaming so it was quite the ordeal. I did a stress test and imaging six years ago and I fell asleep in the machine. He didn't appreciate the humor in me telling him that unfortunately.

• Like Like x 2
  16. shaner82

Oct 16, 2011
    Also not claustrophobic, but I just recently had an MRI and it was brutal. I'm not a small guy. I have quite wide shoulder.s My shoulders were touching the sides the whole time. it was so narrow that I literally couldn't bring my hand up and touch my face. All I could do was leave them at my sides or resting on my stomach.

On top of that, because it was a scan of my head, I had to wear this mask thing over my face that bolted onto the table I was lying on. I was truly locked in and unable to move at all.

When they first stuck me in the thing, I had to fight through some anxiety and get my breathing under control. I wanted more than anything to hit that button and tell them to get me out. If I was claustrophobic, there's simply no way I'd do it. It would have to be life or death.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    I meant with the bulging disc? I have two lower discs pressing on my spine and causes numbness in my feet. One day I was walking and noticed my right foot was just slapping against the ground while I walked, it was very strange feeling, I was like wtf. Had the MRI and revealed the two discs. The doc gave me exercises to perform and I was able to strengthen the muscles around my foot to be able to walk normal again but the sensations are still there.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Same, barely fit in it but I didnt have the mask/bolted thing, damn, I can definitely see that being tough to deal with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I had to do an open MRI because of claustrophobia. My ears are so bad now from hyperacusis I can no longer get MRIs

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Oh yeah last I heard they were going to try and treat it with pain medication because that is what the local health care system in ND likes to do. Pills for everything. Problem is my brother has already struggled with substance abuse and has other issues to go with that. If he gets a new job he is hoping to be able to schedule surgery if the problem persists .

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blast Furnace

Oct 16, 2011
    Good luck to him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. dobbler-33

dobbler-33 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    I never had anxiety or fear of heights until I tried chantix to kick the smokes. Bout 6 months after that routine of eating the psych pill ended those phobias popped up and it ain’t no joke. I test myself constantly to try to over power em but the MRI ride ain’t cutting it… I have to be doped up or we’re fighting. Crazy stuff I have 5 and 2 more on the way bulging discs and that was why I was forced to retire from my 25 year career… it hurts everyday but I’ve made friends with it. No more pills as I’ve found out you never know what can they’re kicking down the road. So rest assured if a mofo don’t dig tight spots or heights or whatever else, they probably ain’t hardly BS’n ya

• Like Like x 2
  23. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Ahhhhh! Good to know....afraid of Heights. :butcher::twisted::twisted:
    LoL

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    We promise not to use the info against him.

istockphoto-908160726-612x612.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Honestly I didn't want Chris Johnson in the draft that year. I was thrilled with the Mendenhall pick.

Even looking back I wouldn't have drafted Johnson. I just wasn't a fan of his running style. Mendenhall could have been an overall better player. His biggest problem was that he is just a weird dude.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1