1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It wouldn’t surprise me at all…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 30, 2022.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    My Problem.
    The last 6 games - None of the opponent are anything special.

Let's say the Steeler run the board and score 30 or more points in each of the wins.
    That's going to get Canada a lot of Kudos and the Sad Wings of Destiny (the reality) is that he didn't do it against any legit defense which he crumbles against, like KC and Buffalo and the Jets.
    So, we get him in '23.

I also prefer that he move on from here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    He’s not the only one who needs to move on. 3 wins in 12 years……

3. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    You're moving on? Yay!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I said make Playoffs not win in Playoffs. I believe the Cowboys have made it once more then us in the SB era.

5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought you were referring to Super Bowl wins.

• Like Like x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    You people do know tie breakers only matter in a tie....correct????

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Dude give it up, the Steelers aren't close to being a playoff team this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Shhhhh.
    Don't tell the Steelers that. LoL

9. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I also dont care about Tomlin's streak, but I would MUCH rather go 6-0 to finish the season and lose in the first round than go 0-6.... For the simple reason that if we go 6-0 it is because Kenny Pickett plays great football down the stretch. I would feel GREAT about Pickett taking another step and leading this team to a mediocre overall record and getting pick 18 than having him suck and have us drafting 5th. The only way we become playoff/SB relevant any time soon is if we get a solid QB. This scenario gets us closer to that reality than if we have a top 5 pick and a bad QB.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2022
    I'd be glad to see the Steelers make it into the playoffs, even if they get blown out in the 1st round. You never know when a team can get hot, and they have no chance of another SB if they don't make it to the dance. Highly unlikely though, they would pretty much have to win out to have a realistic chance.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bradshaw12

bradshaw12 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2018
    I'm not understanding why tanking is being mentioned, no one is saying stop playing the starters or not playing to win. We would just rather go 5-12 and get a high draft pick as opposed to 8-9 and a middle of the road pick.

12. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    this is where the owner has the ultimate say: is the owner happy with 500ish seasons, or does he want SBs?

seems like the ownership is more than happy with 500ish seasons.

13. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Problem is Canada just needs to adjust to the NFL as well. He had Ben and did what he could with him, so I don't think he really got the feel of calling plays and adjusting in game. We're seeing some differences here this year and the Oline is working with a new system as well.

• Like Like x 2
  14. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    It's not about tanking, but what the finishing record says about our team. A worse finish and a higher pick doesn't speed up the timeline to us being good again, it slows it down. If we finish really poorly, it likely means we wasted our top pick last year and are on the path to a massive lengthy overhaul of the roster. If we finish well, it says that our team is starting to gel and we actually have viable pieces that will be building blocks for the future.

I'd rather our young offense play well, start to gel, and earn us some wins. That would be better for our development as a team than a handful of slots higher in the draft. We definitely can build off the momentum of finishing 4-2 or 5-1 to end the season going into next year. We have to remember all of our skill positions on offense are SUPER young. Rookie QB and WR1, 2nd year TE and RB, 4th year WR2, and our rookie WR3 spent the year on IR. Let's get those guys clicking with one another, stacking up some wins, and going into next year super confident.

We can still get killer players in the middle to later part of the first. TJ Watt and Cam Heyward are perfect examples. We will have 3 picks likely in the top 50. Just gotta make sure we get them right. If we can snag a few more really good players and sign a stud or two in FA, we can be real competitive next year (assuming KP keeps progressing).

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I am not as adamant hater of Matt Canada as some are where apparently, he slapped their kids or wives or something.
    But I know some folks around the NFL that know the job very well, and some of the critique is deserved.
    Even then, they don't give him an "F" but rather more of a "D"
    And because I have the ability to sit down and go through the X's and O's with them, schematically, they make sense.
    So, my angle is more of defining the perceived weakness of a defense and utilizing the players he has to exploit that.
    "Innovation" would be my gripe.
    And some want to include Tomlin as controlling but that is quite simply not the case. I don't toss the baby with the bath.

I guess to address your response, I do agree. The question is, can Canada 'grow' in the NFL?
    I personally think he needs to be an assistant for a few more years. It wouldn't hurt him to serve on a Shanahan staff or even go over to the NY Giants and work under Dabol.(sp?)

I think the Zone blocking schema is fine, as I said probably mid-preseason, "they need to learn to play together as a unit" which is key in that scheme.
    I agree that they are coming along. They do need to find a stud LT in the draft and work the depth some more.

• Like Like x 1
  16. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    It’s a tough question and I can see it from both angles. A higher draft pick means more likely a can’t miss stud LT or CB while finishing strong gives us some momentum heading into next season and more than likely KP improving. The bigger issue I have is this mediocre level of play we seem to be stuck in. Never really a legitimate playoff contender but never low enough to draft studs and rebuild. I call it the MT Purgatory that we are all stuck in since the previous regimes players have all retired Ben being the last one.

17. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Basically what you said. He really needed to sit under an experienced play-caller and develop his game a little more for the NFL. Cat's out of the bag now, we're seeing some growth, but is it enough to stick with him?

You got to realize it's more than just the zone blocking. He's got them using different technique than they've ever played with. Apparently they are punching with different hands and Supposedly making first contact on pass protection. I'm just going by what I'm reading from folks that watch the o-line. Those guys have to get that down and learn to work together, that's a tough thing to do. This is Moore and Chuks 3rd line coach in as many years too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Pickett is taking steps in the right direction.

To not have a better draft position with so many quality needs is mindless.

Don't get me wrong I want to see them win. But this just isn't the year. And i'm fine with that. Can't go one with this current roster and certain coaches.

If they can build this roster up with some solid picks (hopefully 1-3 will be starters and major contributors) and go get some quality free agents not scrap heap help next season could look promising.

It depends on who we lose as well after the season.

19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

It is zone blocking, but even in zone blocking pass pro is the same. The zone comes in the run game and that's what Harris excels in when he's healthy.
    Dan Moore concerns me some. In this scheme, you want more agile OT's (Think Trent Williams) that can get that first block and get to the next level quickly.
    Dan Moore is playing like a 4th round pick and hasn't elevated his game much. Plug in a better LT and Dotson probably gets better.
    Pat Meyer isn't doing a bad job, he has some decent schemes to maximize what he has.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :thumbs_up:

21. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Unfortunately, seems like we need him more and more over the past 15+ years. I'm sure most would agree, he's ALWAYS welcomed in these parts. :bowdown:

• Like Like x 2
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Even if the ridiculous happens and they get a winning record w/o making the PO..I hope they can see that this team sucks lol. I was thinking about this today. 4 of their losses have been by a TD or less, the games were winnable, but it's the same we have seen the last few years. We are mediocre, middle of the pack..but have little or no identity anymore. I understand close games are all over the NFL, and bad teams are other right there with good teams, but there is nothing we really set as a definition of elite in any area of the game. Hell even homefield advantage has been lost the last couple of years.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Your a bigger homer than I am. Love it.

• Like Like x 1
  24. SGSteeler

Sep 9, 2013
    Everything he said is true tho lol It really makes some of those close games we lost/should have won early in the season hurt that much more. We are a securely caught punt against NE and a caught INT vs the Jets away from being 6-5 right now. How much different of an outlook do we have at that point instead of 4-7. This team is close. Its not there yet, but with all of the young players we have on offense and the money we have in FA... its not unreasonable to think we are not far from being solid contenders to win the AFC North soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    trub would be the QB if they had won those early games.

Regardless, I had the sentiment as well that the team isn’t far from being solid contenders going into the season. But I’m now on the fence - for me, the OC simply doesn’t belong and will always limit the offense.