1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It wouldn’t surprise me at all…

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steel_ben7, Nov 30, 2022.

1. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    If the Steelers are 1 game back of the 7th and final wildcard spot after the Ravens game here on December 11th. The Steelers obviously have to win their next 2 games in Atlanta this Sunday and next week at home against the Ravens. That would get them to 6-7. Meanwhile, the Jets who are currently 7-4 and hold the 7th and final wildcard spot have 2 very very tough road games in a row both this week at Minnesota and at Buffalo the following week. I don’t think they win either of those games whether Wilson starts or Mike White starts so that would put them at 7-6. Then you have the LA Chargers who are currently 6-5 and their next 2 games are at Vegas this week then home to Miami the following week. I think they split those 2 games which puts them at 7-6 as well. The Patriots next 2 games are Buffalo at home this Thursday night and at Arizona next week. I think they go 1-1 at best in those 2 games which puts them at 7-6 as well.

So not predicting this is gonna happen just throwing it out there that if the Steelers find a way to win these next 2 in Atlanta on Sunday, and at home with the Ravens next week and get to 6-7 there is a pretty good chance based on what I just mentioned above looking at the Jets,Chargers, and Patriots schedules that they are 1 full game back of all 3 of those teams for the 7th wildcard spot with 2 very winnable games after that coming up at Carolina and home to the Raiders here on Christmas Eve.

So we’ll see how this all plays out but a win this week in Atlanta and a Jets loss in Minnesota and a Patriots loss Thursday night to the Bills and no matter what the Chargers do in Vegas on Sunday and things get very interesting the following week going into that Baltimore game. The Steelers would be very much still alive for that 7th and final wildcard spot.

• Like Like x 4
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    I like your optimistic outlook but watt looks like he’s playing hurt. He needs to get back to form and KP needs to continue to improve. If those two happen, we got a shot

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    The Fat Lady has not sung yet in public on this season but she is just steps away from taking the stage. The Steelers are definitely trending upwards slightly however they still have a mountain to climb and they are only at base camp 1. Do I think they can make the playoffs still as of today? No. It would take a miracle. Take it one game at a time and let the chips fall where they may. Have to win every game from here on out and this team just doesn't seem to have all the pieces to do that. I would like nothing more than for them to prove me wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think the Steelers finish the last 6 games 3-3. They can beat anyone and lose to anyone in these games. I could just as easily see them going 6-0 as I do 0-6, precisely why 3-3 just seems the most logical outcome. Doesn't mean 4-2 or even 5-1 isn't possible. Going to need TJ to get healthy as well. When he's not healthy or out, the defense just isn't good enough to win games on their own. The O will likely have a dud down the stretch. I think we'll probably split the Ravens and beat the Browns. Falcons, Panthers and Raiders are complete toss-ups.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I get it, and could easily see this team winning both the Ravens and Browns.game, divisional rivals can just be that close, or getting shut down in any of their remaining games. We are not a good team, but right now very few are.

It's a mixed feeling..I want certain players to start excelling just to bring hope that indeed we can build and see a good year next year..but in doing so does that mean we get stuck with Canada because it looks like things are starting to gel? Yes we have looked good at times, but also look anemic both on O and D in the second half.

No I don't want to tank, but honestly a top ten pick looks better than a faux hot finish and getting a 18 to 20 pick again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. truckin9999

truckin9999 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Another big problem other than the actual standings is that New England and the Jets own the tiebreaker

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    If we did this, it would make NFL and mathematical history.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Fixed... meant to say last 6 games. 1AM at work kinda typo :facepalm:

• Like Like x 3
  9. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    The D just hasn’t looked good enough for me to think they’ll be in contention. Yes they have a weak schedule, but the offense is still growing and the D just hasn’t been good enough overall for me to believe they’ll come close to winning out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Baltimore is a tough to gauge.
    Thier defense isn't good and teams have figured out how to keep Lamar in the pocket where he is limited.
    They could go 5-1 or 1-5. I figure they will win 4 games to get to 11-6

The Bengals have it tougher.
    I'm having a tough time seeing 3 wins for them. At best they finish 10-7

The Browns are bringing on Watson who hasn't played in over 700 days.
    Maybe they get 2 wins, 3 maybe.. finished 7-10

The Steelers remaining schedule is winnable.
    I figure at best they win 4 or 5 games and finish 8-9/9-8
    We just don't have the complete roster, and a rookie QB... so it's a roller coaster.
    I don't think they can get into the playoffs.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Tomlins streak is still alive the schedule is that easy. Lots of bad football teams besides us this season.

Colts Falcons panthers raiders browns I mean all of those teams you could argue are worse than us.

It’s doubtful they sweep the ravens so I think 9-8 and no playoffs but the streak is alive……

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Right now they are 4-7. They will lose at least 3 more games. 7-10.

To think that were better then any team right now good for you.

Their is no point without a playoff berth which I can't see happening.

For me its seeing Pickett take a step forward which he did against the Colts.

I want to see a better draft position. But hey that's just me.

I could care less about Tomlins streak.

13. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Yea it will hurt our draft position and still another year with no playoff wins but Tomlins streak could live on. The only positive would be in that scenario KP would have to be playing reasonably well heading into next year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    They’ve left themselves with too much to do and all the tie breakers are against them. It would be a miracle if they make the playoffs.

If Kenny continues to develop and they win a couple of more games the season can finish in a positive fashion however. If they address the pass protection in the offseason I think we can look to future with some degree of optimism. Left Tackle has to be the priority if they are picking high IMO

• Like Like x 1
  15. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It's all about next season.
    Draft picks are nice, you do get them.
    The good news; It looks like they can focus on needs (OT, CB, LB)
    And dabble in Free Agency.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. AFan

AFan Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    I’ll indulge this optimistic impulse for now. Let’s say you’re right and the Steelers get to 6-7 and are one game out of the WC. They have a big problem with tie breakers. Losing to NYJ, Mia and NE hurts on head to head. And their conf record will be 6-6 at best. If they’re 9-8 with a 6-6 conf record they’re likely out. They really need to win out to have a decent chance. And that’s pretty unlikely.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Honestly, I don't want the Steelers in the playoffs this year. Think about it. If they get in, they will play either the Chiefs, Bills or Bengals right off the bat. Steelers simply do not yet have the talent and experience to beat these teams. Next year is a different story. With some good draft picks and free agent acquisitions in the right areas.... Steelers could easily become a playoff caliber team that could win at least one game in the post season and possibly win the AFC North.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Isn't it time for Pimply Dan?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  19. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    The entire AFC East owns head to head tiebreakers against us. It’s just not going to happen. Our only outside shot is to run the table. Hell, we probably have a better shot at the division than a wild card.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I think this team is gonna surprise alot of people next season.
    Just saying .
    This season is gravy, and I wouldnt put it past Kenny to show some magic before the season ends.

• Like Like x 1
  21. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I would like the Steelers chances against.. the Falcons, Panthers, Raiders. The Falcons and Panthers will probably have 50% steelers fans at the game. Lot of relocated Pittsburghers live in Atlanta and Charlotte areas and they aren't having great seasons.

The other teams like Ravens (x2) Browns with Watson probably more challenging ( but browns defense hasn't been great at all)

Steelers would more than likely have to win out to make the Post Season.

There just isn't enough evidence there to me to make that even a possibility.

I could see 4-2 over final 6 games. It wouldn't shock me.

It will be just enough to put the Steelers in the middle of the draft and everyone is gonna lose their crap about why they didn't just tank for a higher pick an get into the top 5 or top 10.

• Like Like x 2
  22. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    You know how the talking heads always say it's in their hands, just win and their in? Well, the Steelers just have to win the rest of their games. Simple as that:) 10-7 gets a Playoff spot.

I like the idea of being the team who has been to the Playoffs most during the SB era. I think we are #2 in the SB era and #3 in NFL history right now. You knew we were not a SB contender last season but we got that feather in the cap for making Playoffs. Guessing Dallas will gain on us this season:(

• Like Like x 1
  23. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If we do make the playoffs, I hope no one misconstrues it as Canada being an NFL caliber coach in any manner. That guy needs to do

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    How? I don't see Cowboys making it past NFC Championship. The championship game will be their peak.... if they even make it that far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    That’s the dilemma we are in. Have these 500 or slightly above regular season records and the coaches are never on the hot seat. Even though we will clearly never win with this administration again. Still hard to get in on a tanking mentality though.