1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

World Cup 22

Discussion in 'Other Sports Talk' started by Animus, Nov 19, 2022.

1. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm right there with ya!

2. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    I feel that way about Brazil and Argentina!

• Like Like x 2
  3. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I kind of pull for Argentina but for a lame reason. That Sega soccer game I mentioned earlier in this thread, I played as Argentina and my buddy played as Germany. They were the two highest rated teams in the game. Low and behold, in the 1990 World Cup championship, those two teams played each other. Germany won, damn it!!

4. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    They should have won in '86 too!

• Like Like x 1
  5. UKSheffieldSteeler

UKSheffieldSteeler Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    Yes I love seeing the Argies lose too.

• Like Like x 1
  6. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Good match between Portugal and Ghana.

7. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Ghana damn near pulled off the tie!

8. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Yeah, that play at the end with the keeper was crazy. Talk about a lapse in concentration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. UKSheffieldSteeler

Dec 7, 2020
    Can't wait for Soccer v Football tonight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. UKSheffieldSteeler

Dec 7, 2020
    HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA Wales. What a bunch of daft b*stards. :cool::roflmao:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. UKSheffieldSteeler

Dec 7, 2020
    Onto the game later.

USA have a great chance, once again, to completely stick it to the English who live and breathe the national team as if it was a religion. It's our typically hugely disrespectful and arrogant view of USA's 'footballing' abilities that could be our downfall again like it has the only 2 other times we've met competitively. For every jibe that likens America's team to being like Ted Lasso you can completely mug us off with a win tonight and give us some humble pie. I'm sure you'll have Scotland, Wales and Ireland all palling up with you and getting on board tonight. They'd rather see us lose than see their own teams win.

I'd LOVE a win, love it. I live for these tournaments and we've got so close the last two times. We have quality all over the pitch with weapons like Saka, Foden, Kane, Sterling, Grealish, Bellingham... talent we could only dream of a few years ago... but we are England after all and are always prepared to fail when it matters.

I like the balance and ability that USA has, Pulisic and Weston McKennie in particular and I've watched Josh Sargeant live a few times recently.

Score predictions, 2-0 England. I think we have the quality now is our time. But I think USA will beat Iran in the final game to also progress to the knockouts.

Good luck!

12. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    The US can't play one half of ball like they did against Wales. They're going to need to be aggressive and play fast but not get caught out of position. Soccer will never be as big here as it is in every other country of the world. Personally, I dont see the US pulling off a win and I'm not confident they can get out of the group.

I really do hope they can pull it off though. I'm still sore about that whole Revolutionary War against you English pricks trying to rule our country!:lolol::drinks:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. UKSheffieldSteeler

Dec 7, 2020
    I'm sure we will try once again when we come over in 2026 :drinks:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  14. UKSheffieldSteeler

Dec 7, 2020
    Yeah I agree with your analysis on how to play. I think teams should press high and pack the midfield against England if they want to beat them. In years gone by team sat deep with a low block in a very defensive mode would do better as England couldn't unlock them but that wouldn't work against this team in my opinion. Press high and aggressive and that is when they find it tough, but it depends how well the team can press together and consistently.

15. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Absolutely. The US squad is very young with no World Cup experience. This isn't a do or die game for them but they have to beat either England or Iran so might as well get it done today.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's days like today that makes me feel that USA is the Pitt Panthers of global soccer. We beat teams we shouldn't and lose/tie to teams we shouldn't. Wales was that game against a MAC school where we tied a game we shouldn't have. It's going to be a fun day.

• Like Like x 1
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This part I agree. While over there they worship the game....While over here it's not, and may never be that big... We just don't care about it as much..
    Most of the times in a lot of schools it is what the kids that couldn't make the Football, baseball, wrestling, and basketball teams play....the leftovers. LoL. Now that is not 100% ....nothing is, but from what I've seen it's not far from the truth.

18. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    You are right. In nearly every other country, kids dribble a soccer ball from the time they can walk. In the US, the best athletes are playing other sports. Imagine if Tyreek Hill played soccer from the age of 4. Or LeBron James as a defender. Until we get uber athletes playing this game from a very early age, the US will never level the playing field against these other powerhouse nations.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    Alexi Lalas has me wanting to run through a wall on the pre-game!

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This exactly.
    It's something of exactly what You said that I tried explaining to a friend of mine. I said You can see We don't really care because their best athletes play soccer everywhere else, and In the USA...our best athletes play different sports. I'm just regurgitating what You just said, but I totally agree.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    That tide is shifting in a way. We got pro players from the NBA and NFL tweeting that they wished they stuck with soccer. It's doubtful that soccer will ever pass basketball or football, but more and more teenagers are heading to overseas academies. That trend started with Christian about ten years ago. The pipeline is merely starting. And the better this team gets, the bigger the wave will get. 2026 is probably the most important year of US soccer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    This makes me wonder which great athletes in the NBA, NFL, MLB, AND NHL would have been great soccer players.

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. METALMAN_68

Jan 4, 2022
    I do wonder that as well. This was brought up on a national sports program the other day and they dropped a lot of names. My thought was just because these guys are good at other sports, does not mean they would be good at soccer, or any other sport for that matter.

24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I don't think it will ever be as big in our lifetime as the Big 4 in the USA. They can all say that these athletes wish this, and that, but look at what they actually have chosen to play. Hell look at How long Hockey has been in the USA.....yet during the Olympics former athletes say the same....Wish I had played, and yet How many of the best Hockey players aren't even from the USA???
    Go to 90% of the High schools, and go look at what most the best athletes are playing. Unless that completely changes...it will always be the same.
    Just be happy that We compete with their finest athletes at a game they worship...with not our finest athletes at a game that half our country only watches every once in a while.

25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Soccer practically already passed hockey. Look at the TV Deals European leagues are getting collectively. Soccer practically matches baseball in terms of youth participation. In the younger than 20 demo Soccer passed baseball in tv viewership. It won't pass football or basketball, but it'll pass hockey and baseball, and relatively soon.

• Agree Agree x 1