1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Analysis

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelpens65, Nov 21, 2022.

1. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    With respect to lack of ignore button, why not just stop responding to someone you want to ignore?

Kind of odd saying various buttons are needed, but then conversing with the same people...

I've already stopped conversing with the gang that just respond with :facepalm: thinking they're better than everyone else.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    agree.
    They wouldn't remember the 80s or 90s because they are still in their 20s and have no clue what they are talking about.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I go by the rule that if what I'm typing will likely get me punched in the mouth saying it out loud in a bar, I'm not typing it here. Social media makes people type things they wouldn't normally say to someone's face.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  5. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think you need to get punched in the mouth just for typing in a bar.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 7
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It's going to be a tough season.
    I did have them winning over the Bengals, but the loss changed my mind some.. instead of maybe 8-9, it might be 6-11.
    Depends on injuries.

I continue to remain objective about the QB..
    and to dispel any 'homer' accusations, I think he isn't top 15 and might struggle to be top 25.
    This offense just isn't complementary to much anything.
    'you gotta run the ball' that's it pure and simple. You can't run flea flickers until you can run the base offense.
    He might as well called 'the swinging gate.'
    But heck, trot the rookie out there and let 'er fly 40-50 times.

I have far, far, far more concerns than Kenny Pickett with this team. Higgins isn't even an Adams, or Chase and he single handily hung 148 yards on our secondary.
    Together, they caught passes for 355 yards. Christ on a crutch, that's terrible.
    They could have brought in the girls from St Mary's Christian Academy for the deaf and blind and threw 200 yards to them.
    About the only Cincinnati Receiver that Joe couldn't hit was Boyd: 2-7. The rest were perfect or near perfect.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Well played

• Like Like x 2
  8. RobertoC#21

RobertoC#21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2011
    You are responding to the Steeler fans who most of them ( not me ) wanted to run Terry Bradshaw out of town, ( Won 4 Super Bowls ) then once we got through the Mike Krucek, Mark malone, bubby Brister era of the 80/90's, they wanted to run Ben Roethlisberger out of town based purely on some accusations of some questionable women ( I am not saying he did or didnt, its not my place to judge, I do however believe in innocent until PROVEN guilty in a court of law by a jury of your peers ) who also won the only other 2 Super Bowls. So take their opinion on talent and QB play with a grain of salt ( preferrably lemon and tequila as well ) and I assure you it will make more sense.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

That's damn good.... Well played.

• Like Like x 1
  10. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

This.

A Big Ben, Dak Prescott or even Justin Herbert Rookie level season is not just exponentially rare but also tremendously unfair towards any rookie; Kenny Pickett or otherwise. Now, do specific circumstances dictate this?! Of course they do.

However, what we are seeing from Pickett is nothing more than the mere growing pains of a Rookie QB. Pickett has shown progress though these past two weeks. The most critical aspect now is how much more progression he can showcase despite the odds against him.

That will tell many of us where he not only stands but how high his ceiling can be moving forward.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mike Sullivan, the QB's coach was brought on this season. Some here will scream "He's a bum and needs fired" having never knowing what a QB's coach actually does.
    That aside, I do know QB's coaches, and I thought they could have done better knowing that they were going to have to move on from Ben with either a rookie or the limited FA QB's of which we scored Mitch from or possible Mason.

In Mitch's case he had him throwing really conservatively, too much so. In Kenny's case, he's got him dialing it down a bit as now we've gotten 2 games without a pick. I do see a better selection coming from Kenny. I've seen the gripes about him missing receivers, but you don't really know that since you don't know the play call and design and haven't had a 6'4" 330lbs D-Lineman crashing down on you.
    I think he will adjust to that as he is an aggressive QB. I think the game is slowing down to Kenny.

I think anyone expecting a miracle season from Kenny is really over optimistic.
    But is says a lot that they trust him to throw 40-50 times a game - Ok, we probably all know that isn't a good game plan, but it is Canada.
    Also, the plan was not to start Kenny at all this season though many of the experts knew Kenny would see the field sooner.

He's not getting sacked all over the place, he is not turning the ball over, he is getting the deeper strikes, but he is some distance away.
    This is most definitely a very good learning season for him, and the lessons learned now will pay in the future.
    I hate the idea of a New OC, but it appears that very well can be an option.

Pittsburgh is ~27th in defense, this is no friend to a QB, even a pro.
    They also rank about the same in points allowed, ~23.3/PPG.
    So, it is a bit of an acid bath for the rookie and it will continue to be very hard to get an accurate assessment on his ceiling until they can figure that part out.
    * One could note that Joe Burrow gets sacked stupid and still performs very well... Joe is exceptional.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022

I like Dak, but how many times have the Dallas fans wanted to run him out of town. He had a great game against the Vikes yesterday, I think the fans want him to do better in getting to the playoffs and winning when the team gets there.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have never been a Dak fan, but I don't think He sucks.....He's about average in this league of 1 great great Qb(Mahomes), and 2 really good Qbs(Burrow, and Allen)....Then the rest....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I will have to go back and re-watch. Like I said, I haven't watched the breakdown yet. My initial thought was that he had time to step in and make a better throw there, and panic-ed. I might feel differently once I see it again.

MT, either way that pass was far from perfect. Very fortunate coverage broke down.

15. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    please go watch the replay before you sound any more foolish.
    What in God's name would make it a better throw ? Him handing it to him ? Did Pickens have to dive for it ? WTF ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    Just watched it. Pickett has PLENTY of time to set his feet. Ball sailed. Had the coverage been there that ball is incomplete. Perhaps it is you that should re-watch.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    Dude your insane, the coverage wasn't there, and he threw a perfect pass for a TD. His lineman had to pick him up from the floor.
    I have officially heard it all now.

18. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Pickett's weak throwing spots to me, the uneducated armchair QB, have been in the middle and the deep ball.

The deep ball, he was throwing way past the receiver, giving them no chance to get it. He has tightened that up, but now it is lofting in and the receiver is having to slow up a bit to time it. So it has improved, but he needs to improve the timing a bit more so that he hits the receiver in stride and gives them a better chance for more yards after catch.

His throws to the middle were bullets that were often higher up on the receiver, sometimes over their heads. This resulted in a lot of his early interceptions because it would be deflected and intercepted. Now, the adjustment seems to have been to throw bullets into the dirt 3 yards short of the receiver. Can't say why this is happening, but it is a wasted play for sure.

19. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    The cadence in the first half was Pickett having to match score for score. For a rookie, I was impressed by that. It looks like one team made the proper adjustments at the half and the other team didn't.

1st half
    They punt
    We punt
    They kicked FG
    We kicked FG
    They scored TD
    We scored TD
    They scored TD
    We scored TD
    They threw interception
    We kicked FG

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are correct

I was there and what you state was very obvious

Maybe that gets lost on tv

• Like Like x 1
  21. Steelers-MT

Nov 9, 2017
    You know he can do no right when people complain that Touchdown passes are not good enough.
    This board is filled with trolls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yup him not seeing the open plays or him missing the easy throws is concerning

23. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I've not seen anything that would suggest anything other than he's a rookie, doing rookie things, at times making a play, at other times looking overwhelmed. I'm not pro Pickett or anti Pickett. If you think he's playing awful...well he should be. He's a rookie with a piss poor offensive unit...late breaking news...they're all bad. And If you think he's showing progress weekly...I'd say few if any of us on this board have a keen enough eye to determine what progress is being made relative to an NFL quarterback. Unless you are looking at the all 22 coaching tape, and have a background in QB coaching...
    They think it's Madden football...or fantasy football.

I'm not pro or anti Kenny. He's doing rookie things...and wait for it....and he's a rookie. Those analyzing his every play are gonna be in for a long couple years. That's what they'll give the kid to pan out. He's the defacto starter next year, unquestioned. Even if he bombs next year...They likely wouldn't be in a position to draft a QB high. And would be picking from the garbage heap in free agency anyway...which like this year...wouldn't be much better. So buckle up, and get comfy. He's the driver of whatever this will be for the foreseeable future.

• Like Like x 1
  24. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    It’s safe to say the O line, Canada and Kenny have collectively been bad. We are looking for progress… not from Canada but the other two. Canada definitely is not the answer

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm concerned Pickett started over throwing guys in the second half.

His accuracy is not great at times, even with routine throws.

• Agree Agree x 1