1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Bengals' bungles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 20, 2022.

1. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Can somebody tell me why Sutton wasn't moved to line up against Higgins? Also How does a back up rb take 3 swing passes for touch downs?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    That's what happens when your inside linebackers suck and your safeties aren't much better.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Very tough day.
    Burrows is a good QB and nobody could cover T Higgins. This should be an asterisk on next year's list of "Things to Do"
    I have an issue with Canada's play calls too, like the Flea-Flicker.
    I also think he should have kept running the ball.

The Defense actually played well, and the secondary did get two picks, but they just could not find an answer for Higgins.
    TJ Watt, What???! that guy is truly awesome.
    I didn't have a big issue with the LB's but they did pull them into the line a little too much.
    My guess was they were trying to shorten the timing to help the secondary - they need to get a shutdown corner in FA or the draft.

Back to the Offense, I don't like the mix they call when in the Redzone.
    You've got a very mobile QB and play-action rollout is always a good call down there.
    I do not like 'fancy calls' in the redzone.

Overall, I see the Franchise QB coming along.
    They have to do something about the secondary.
    Need to upgrade (speed) LB
    Manage the depth a little better
    and replace Canada.
    Austin, I just teeter on the fence with... he had a decent plan but not the right people to man it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The defense did not play well. Two interceptions do not make up for giving up 37 points. The inside linebackers were terrible. The safeties were invisible. Austin never adjusted to Higgins. It's not like it was a surprise to see him featured with Chase out.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Actually, the interior did well, and for the most part the LB's played well enough (far from great)
    But as I mentioned, they had no answer (across the board) for Higgins, which is on the pathetic side.
    We have two Safeties that one should have over-under(ed) him all game.
    Then Austin tried to apply pressure, with the LB's up close and that didn't work (he needs a speedy LB or two)
    And of course that led to Perrine (Ex Redskins castoff) to have a good day as they are not fast enough to play that way.
    Austin doesn't sparkle with me at all, but he is undermanned. They have got to find a shutdown CB and get some speed at LB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    #4 - he was horrendous. Thank GOD Jamar Chase didn't play.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Me too, well done.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We have problems at this position.

9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    And Mixon missed most of the game as well but the Steelers D still couldn't stop the Bengals offense. Very disappointing performance by a defense that was supposed to be at nearly full strength.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    Highest paid defense in the league allowing 37 points at home totally unacceptable.
    Even more so that the offense didn't even have a turnover the whole game.
    Especially when they are minus Jamar Chase and Mixon got taken out the game by injury early.
    Other than forcing a couple of Turnovers on basically amazing plays by TJ and Wallace just a bunch of crap.

You can blame Pickett or Matt Canada, Najee or the O-Line for offense woes, but the defense this year is terrible given the money investment.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Should a Top flight CB be on the board by the time we pick and not that OT, logic dictates the team should opt for a CB. As it stands currently, there is not much in terms of CB FAs come 2023.. minus a few names.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    These are top CBs in draft, I watch a bit of SEC games and Kelee looks like the real deal. Some have Steelers taking Antonio if the others are gone when they pick in the 1st.

Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn State
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 192.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.48.

Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.50.

Antonio Johnson, CB/S, Texas A&M
    Height: 6-3. Weight: 200.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.48.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Would not shock me if Peezys Son is in contention at this point. That said, I still would give a quick look at Kelee Ringo. He did have a rough start to 2022 but has gradually gotten better since.

14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

The Defense is terrible as there is no Number One CB option. Rather, that was supposed to be Ahkello Witherspoon. That did not turn out to be the case. Between me and you, I doubt that WJIII is going to move the needle much either.

Best bet is to acquire one in the draft. I would also state FA but outside of James Bradberry... I do not see anyone else.

15. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    Kelee has come on. I haven't seen Junior much, as I typically watch Big 10 if there isn't a good much up at the time in the SE. I never saw Pickett play at Pitt.

I would take Jalen Carter from Georgia for the middle of the defense if was available

16. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

If it is of any major selling point, while Marvin Harrison Jr did go off on Penn State, he was only targeted nine times when Jr was guarding him. Only 2 catches given up. Ran up the stat sheet against the rest of the PSU DBs though. My major push back to that is as to why James Franklin did not commit Jr to... well.. Jr more often?!

Makes little sense to me.

17. SteelersFan369

Oct 31, 2022
    I didn't see that game. Though I'll be watching Ohio State vs Michigan this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    One of the highlights was moving down field with 36 seconds left and at least getting a fg. Yes we want the tds but that kind of thing shows you can do it quickly when needed. There was good and horrible all over. Kenny was missing throws by a mile at times, but a couple catchables we're dropped as well. The failure to get more than 19 yds in the 3rd is the game. Cincy has done this most of this year...but we had the momentum, the chance to take charge and we didn't.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well as You know ......You don't have to sell Me on that.

20. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    We had an interception from the OLBs, batted balls from the DL and an interception from the secondary. Only group that we don't get contribution from is the ILBs......

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    The only int from the secondary came from a batted ball from a ILB/MLB
    Spillane hit it which caused it to wobble for the pick.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Watch the 22 film, and then you will be able to see why the announcers kept talking about Steeler WRs being wide open down the field when Kenny was throwing the ball short or out of bounds.

23. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Not sure if we'll have any cap money to make some FA signings that mike make a difference. Offensive line, Defensive line, Corner, and safety all look weak. This is not a well coached team nor is it deep at player quality. Hopefully picking in the top 10 will get us a few good players.

24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Perrine was already hurting them before they started playing the inside linebackers up. Burrow was torturing them with passes over the middle because the linebackers all sucked in coverage. Take the early one he hit to Hurst when Jack was completely out of position. Regardless of where they lined up, the inside linebackers couldn't do the job on Perrine, which led to those three scores. At least one of them was a brutal missed tackle by Spillane, too.

25. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I agree with most of what you said. However it seemed to me that Pickett missed a few plays downfield where guys were really open. He's not reading the field very well at this point. I agree that the D giving up 37 points pretty much sealed this game shut. Why can't the Steelers double cover Higgins? Did they even think about that? He killed us all game. Don't know the answers but it would seem the coaching is pretty bad all around