1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My observations from the Bengals' bungles

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Nov 20, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. Matt Canada totally forgot the formula that helped the offense score 20 pts in the 1st half

2. George Pickens is a man

3. Dan Moore was a major weak link up front

4. Author Maulet has no business in coverage

5. Nice bounce back from Matthew Wright

6. The Bengals defense looked like they were in our offensive huddle in the 2nd half

7. How was Tee Higgins is single coverage all game

8. Defensive front gave it their best shot in the 2nd half, but can't keep getting sent back out with less than 5 minutes of rest

9. Kenny Pickett's mobility kept the Bengals defense on its heels all 1st half, so naturally, he was the statue of liberty in the 2nd

10. Deven Bush totally disappeared after the Bengals 1st td

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 4
  2. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Agree with all of this.

3. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Can’t be a good defense and have no splash from either of your ILB’s

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Middle linebackers?

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  5. THREE RIVER SHIVER

THREE RIVER SHIVER Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Agree with all.....#3 is an understatement.....But I think inside linebacker is our biggest weakness. Starters are average at best with absolutely no depth

6. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    #5. I ripped Mathew Wright all last week but he performed very well today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  7. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Only aspect I will have major, if not massive, disagreement with the list is number three. At this point, who is worth keeping between Kevin Dotson and Dan Moore Jr. Logic states Moore Jr as Dotson is set to become a FA after the conclusion of the 2023 season. Moore still will have some time before the team decides on him in 2025 when his contract expires. What to do in the upcoming draft is definitely something that is not being talked about nearly as much in terms of either nabbing a CB or a OT in Round One.

As it stands currently, both are in dire need of an upgrade... and that is not accounting for an Offensive Guard, another EDGE and some Interior Defensive Lineman help as well. Should be simple as to taking the best player available at the spot the Steelers pick (who knows at this point) but that is going to be interesting to dive into as this season concludes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The offensive line just wasn't good enough today, even with a decent running game.

The defense wasn't good enough, either. No. 7 on the list was a big part of it. They never stopped Higgins.

9. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    I thought KP could have done a little better by stepping up in the pocket to buy some time to throw the ball instead of bailing backwards into the teeth of the pass rush.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    #7 aggravates me. How about you pull a belicheat and take out the teams best option?? Should have been a obvious halftime adjustment.

11. Lambert

Lambert Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2015
    I wish Moore could play Guard. Adding a franchise LT to the current C-RG-RT would be good. Adding two high pick/FA OL though is going to make it that much harder to improve the Defense.

12. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Team needs a lot of work… just gotta keep improving

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He did do that a few times, but nowhere near as bad as before. He actually stepped up a few times. Which He hasn't done. I honestly see a bit of improvement almost every week. Does this mean He will be awesome????....No , but it does show He is slowly getting better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He did step up and make plays a few times today. One that he tried to go back, he really had no chance at all. Once again, Moore wasn't good and that really hurts this offense. The quarterback just can't trust that his blind side is protected.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022

Can't we get rid of both of them? Why do we have to choose between two evils? We need a new LOT and LOG.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Pickett has no guts right now. So afraid of throwing INTs that he is afraid to throw the ball to the middle of the field. DJ is completely wasted with Pickett at QB right now.

He may not be throwing Ints, but his best pass tonight was to the 3rd row in the stadium. 3rd and 25 you throw the ball deep, if it is an INT at the 10-yard line who cares; would have been the same as a Fair catch 1 play later at the 10-yard line.

I put that loss tonight squarely on bad play by Pickett, no desire to go for the W.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. dirty

dirty Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Yep, looked so much what we saw from Trubisky this year.

18. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    No’s 6 and 9 are on Canada

19. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    If both Trub and Picket are too chicken **** to play proper QB, maybe the issue is the OC or HC.

I can’t imagine *two* NFL QBs, first round picks, both sucking the same way

20. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Fair point but he still was bailing either backwards or at angles that led him right into the teeth of the pass rush when all he had to do was step up and let it go.

21. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    How are you always right on every week? I vote you should be a special assistant like Flores. Spot on assessments that are so much more reasonable than most posters, no offense to anyone.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I really don't know where the defense went wrong. For the most part I felt like the defense played good enough to win. They snagged two really good INT's. They got some pressure on Burrow at times. Even Bush made a nice play or two. In the 3Q it seemed like the D was starting to take complete control of the game. I got to give Bengals some credit for making the plays needed to win the game. I just think the D played far better than the 34 points allowed showed. The offense played well enough to win as well. Most games this team scores 23+ on offense, I believe we will win the game. Yes, there was a huge lull in the 2nd half. The turning point to this game was getting an FG off of the Watt int. I really think the offense needed a TD in that series of reps. Overall, I think the Steelers played good enough to win most weeks; the Bengals are simply a better team than the Steelers. Coming out of halftime and whatever TF Canada called in the 3Q was just a mess.

Pickett, again, played a tale of two halves. First half was definitely his best ball of the season. It was about as good as a half as we can expect right now. The only weird play was when he got called for a foul start. I really didn't see what he did wrong there, but he got called, nonetheless. He was attacking, he was moving far better in the pocket: twice he moved up in the pocket and threw strikes on the run. Canada even let him run two zone-reads in the 1H. As for the second half, it just looked like he got frustrated and started pressing. For whatever reason, the run game just evaporated from the play-calling, and we just ended up in 3rd and long after 3rd and long during the 3Q. Was a Yin and Yang kinda day for Pickett. He's definitely showing signs of progress and other signs of stagnation. His pocket presence in the 2H really resembled what we've seen the past few weeks with him bouncing back and scrambling to his right, as opposed in the 1H when he moved up in the pocket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    It feels like Canada made 'adjustments' in the second half when none were needed...

Starting the 3rd qtr with 3 3 and outs basically lost the game. D did it's job for the most part (other than forgetting Tee Higgins was on the field).

We have a long way to go for sure, but it's also frustrating because it could have been different. A few better play calls on offense, a few better reads from Pickett...

• Like Like x 2
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The defense gave up 37 points and you put the loss on the quarterback? Man, do you ever get tired of polluting this board with terrible takes.

His best throw was a deep ball right on the hands of Pickens late in the game, the one that was dropped. He made plenty of other good ones, too. Also, I doubt he called the draw on third-and-25. That likely came from the coaches. This offense didn't throw to the middle of the field with Roethlisberger last year. It didn't do it with Trubisky. The common thread isn't Pickett. It's Canada.

• Agree Agree x 6
  25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The offense was terrible in the third quarter. Some of that was on Pickett. More was most likely on Canada.

The defense was not good. They gave up 37 points, including a 93-yard touchdown drive with the game on the line in the fourth quarter. Yes, they made two great plays on the interceptions, but otherwise, Burrow picked them apart without two of his best weapons, Chase and Mixon. The inside linebackers were horrid. I think at least part of the reason they started blitzing them more in the second quarter was just how useless they were in coverage. The only time Edmunds was visible was getting beaten in coverage. Fitzpatrick looked like a guy who was rushed back too quickly from surgery. They kept putting different guys on Higgins one-on-one. They never gave them any help and he destroyed the defense. They also couldn't generate enough pressure with the front four. That was a weak defensive performance from the coaching on down.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2