1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Bengals LB Says They Knew What Steelers Would Run In 2nd Half

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Nov 21, 2022.

1. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  2. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Do the same plays over and over again. Just dink and dunk.

3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Hell, most of us knew it, too, especially the runs between the tackles on second down.

People complain about Pickett's yards per play, but the YAC for this team is almost nonexistent. Much of that is the screen game, which is terrible. There were some plays they missed, too. Pickett missed badly to Harris on first-and-20. He had Freiermuth for a first down when he threw to a well-covered Harris early (thought that ball was right on his hands). Freiermuth and Pickens had big drops. There were times the line gave Pickett no chance or took killer penalties. There are problems on offense beyond the coach, but man, Canada is terrible.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Not surprised at all. Unfortunately nothing will change. Tomlin will once again throw a bunch of cliches out to the media and all opposing fans will continue to say that they really like Mike Tomlin. Had that said to me again yesterday by my neighbor bengal fan. They will probably sign Canada to an extension in the offseason. Defense is not without blame either. Won't win many games giving up 37 points.

Oh' but let's all point the finger at Pickett.

What a dumpster fire train wreck.:facepalm:

• Like Like x 7
  5. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Firing Matt Canada at the end of season will help, but the biggest gain will be when Canada and Tomlin are both gone.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    so does everyone else in the stadium or at home. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Otherwise we're just rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic. :facepalm:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Tomlin is the common denominator to the constant droughts year in and year out. Until you get a new voice in there, nothing will change.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Not enough life boats by half

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
  11. shaner82

shaner82 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    This is nothing new. We've heard this for years. It's not a Matt Canada thing. It goes higher than that

• Agree Agree x 7
  12. SteelersFan369

SteelersFan369 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2022
    And opposing defense coordinators

13. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    This also happened in 2019 when Ben was out, no offense at all. I specifically remember the 49er game. Defense forced 6 turnovers? Offense didn’t do nothing. So yes sir you are correct, this sputtering offense started before Canada.
    Saying that i think it was 2020 we started the dink and dunk, which in fact worked until we were 11-0, btw we were the worst 11-0 team in NFL history. After that offense has steadily went downhill.
    I know a lot of people dont want to hear it, but if Ben didnt play last year we would have only won a few games.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  14. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    That throw to Harris was because he correctly read that he was covered by a DE. Harris has to make that catch.

Harris blew a delayed run call that caused an illegal man downfield when Pickett tried to make something happen.

The Freiermuth "hold" was suspect as hell and if they called that, there should have been way more called on the Bengals O-line (Spoiler) none were. It's easy to go 90 yards when you're not getting called for holds.

Many of those "we knew what they were going to call" stuff actually works if they don't make mistakes. Damn near every offense runs the same plays over and over they just change the pre-snap looks.

If that flea-flicker doesn't get botched, he had a guy coming wide open. Those aren't "the same thing over and over".

• Like Like x 1
  15. MattCanada

MattCanada Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2022
    Impossible. Our offense is designed to be highly, sophisticated, competitive and explosive, unpredictable. We take shots down field , we have a serious run offense. It’s simply not possible !!!! I mean when it’s 3rd and 11 and we get a nice 2 yard gain on a half back draw , it’s simply speaks for it self. One word folks . High power

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    If AR cant see/ or refuses to see, that coaching changes need to be made from the HC on down. Then he is a bigger fool than I think he is.. Enjoy the 6 SB's we have because as long as the same coaches remain we wont win another ..

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  17. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I've said this for years. This franchise needs a house cleaning. Getting a new voice in the FO (Weidl) will help but coaching is a problem.

Tomlin is the common element in this team looking unprepared, playing down to bad opponents, and poor in-game management.

In regards to Canada, once you peel away all of the motions and trickery, the offense is high school caliber.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. YinzerBuckeye

YinzerBuckeye Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2015
    We really need to revamp the offense.

Pickett needs better coaching and play calling. I've always felt that Pickett would fit the Shanahan-style West Coast system like a glove.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Yes I agree. I had just read that article today and seen others opposing and former players saying the same thing. It's really been right in front of us the last 15 years. Ben's come from behind victory total is a testament to this. We would use the same predictable stuff until Ben started going no huddle before the half or in 4th quarter and we'd move the ball. Plus we used to have one of the top defenses in the league on an almost yearly basis which helped a great deal. Was thrilled they put up 30 pts and hope they can do it more but don't foresee it happening much. We haven't have a true killer instinct on offense for a long time. If we had the lead we always seemed to stop doing what got us the lead and let them back in the game or outright losing. This is just my observations and feelings over watching the team religiously my whole life. Every coach and staff have their things to fix and shortcomings but the steelers have literally been the same old song and dance for almost 15 years and now there's no dominant D or hall of fame qb to bail us out. Either they change and fix it or it's going to be a long rebuild.

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with all this, but the ....worst 11-0 team ever. There is No such thing.
    What about the 2011 Packers .....they went 13-0 , and got bounced from the playoffs the 1st game???
    13 teams have reached 11-0 in the SB era....only 5 of them won a SB.

• Like Like x 2
  21. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Remember the Patriots from a few years ago. They were the absolute worst 18-0 team ever! Had one game to win and couldn’t do it.:dancing::rawk:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Steelpens65

Steelpens65 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2021
    Steelers were winning with mirrors, but ill take 11-0 at anytime.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    I thought the dink and dunk stuff was because of Big Ben’s elbow.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Hell, Cam said as much in his response. The Perine TD's were checks and they didn't have a counter to that check. Sounds like the same thing over and over to me. We get this "X" look; we're checking to this "Z" play. Problem is they didn't have something to counter when they checked.

Again, most offenses run the same basic plays, just dressed differently.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Wolfepack88

Wolfepack88 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2022
    And if the ownership decides its completely a business then you slowly become the Pirates. I hope I don't see that in my lifetime but AR II has to make a change. How many years do you give a head coach? I think Tomlin will get the chance to rebuild but I just feel he and his coaching staff don't have the team fully prepared mentally for all 16 games so we lose game we shouldn't due to mental mistakes, clock mismanagement and virtually no ability to make half time adjustments (or the ones we try never work).

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2