1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

I don’t think some of you recognize how bad it is

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Utpittsburghfan, Nov 13, 2022.

1. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Hell, I'm still holding out hope we can say Tomlin has never had a losing season. I'll admit my hope is very low but IMO this Sunday is the key to season. We win and I believe the climate on this team will change for the better.**

** Now I'm not talking Playoffs and such just not an embarrassing season.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I noticed SDOT didn’t answer

That would require him to admit he was wrong again

Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Are you scared? I’m pretty sure you’re supposed to be scared.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    This thread is totally pointless. :facepalm:

I think we should all enjoy the remaining games. Steelers are gonna wipe out some bottom feeders of the NFL. For once, I'm optimistic.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    SO MANY PEOPLE are listening to the media driven " false narrative " of the Offensive Line...They have been REALLY GOOD...Top 10 all year, and top 5 some weeks...

KP / Mitchburgh
    Najee
    Canada
    WR's

Have all been really bad...But, You just don't lump in the OL, They've been really good...

Just because we don't have the 1st rounders or big names, Many listen to the media and just assume they're terrible, but they're not...

Just ANOTHER media driven false narrative to take any blame away from the REAL problem... Fraudlin

6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Man I heard those same words from a lot of Eagle fans. I do give credit to the Skins for the amazing T.O.P. Though, I agree the refs sure helped them out there.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    You're right, great question. Yes, we get hurt, it seems, each year with too little cap space left and see some good players go away. Just because we are up against cap limits may not always be indicative of good cap management. Sometimes so few players take up so much of the cap. This is the way of the NFL and we're not alone. Maybe we've gotten through the worst of cap issues as of late. We may still be paying for Ben, I don't know. But one could make an argument that when we consider our coaching staff numbers and salary invested, this organization doesn't break the bank as comparted to other NFL teams. I mean really, how much are we paying for a high school OC right now when we should maybe have gotten someone with more G2? jMO>

8. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    It helps to keep the universe in balance :smiley1:

• Like Like x 1
  9. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we will not win. not without Boswell and that suck kicker we have on the roster

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    not sure how you come up with Top 10 all year, but we suck in all offensive stats.
    Gotta hand it to you, you double down on your narratives, that is for sure

they are playing well, better each week - but no way near top 10. GO WATCH some top teams and offenses.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Good lord man. It was sarcasm. A terrible attempt, but sarcasm nonetheless

• Like Like x 1
  12. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    my apologies - someone here keeps bloviating how great they are - they are not. Good, and getting better - but a long way to go.

13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    It's the sites that evaluate and break down every play...There are so many extenuating factors but... Basically it's a method that tracks each individuals play, on every down...And then base their analysis on what " should have happened " instead of what actually did...

So basically...If the OL is getting high grades, and the O is not moving the ball, or scorong... It's another factor...

And those other factors are...

CANADA
    KP
    Najee
    WR's...

The OL is doing their part, the others mentioned above obviously aren't

14. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Are you sure? He keeps pushing it as if he means it. Obviously, they are not a top-10 offensive line. They are decent, but the pass protection isn't good enough and the run blocking is inconsistent at best.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Michael E

Michael E Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2022
    I am talking about trading a good player that is aged and $$$ and when you're not going to contend. I am not talking about trading a good player on a rookie deal when your playing really well. I thought it was obvious.

16. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    The Steelers pay their own players a fair wage, not just superstars, I am not sure how they pay their coaches other than MT.
    He is one of the highest paid HC in the game. Steeler organization usually tries not to overpay for talent. Hence this is why
    you don't see too many third contracts, IE Peezy, Faneca, FRANCO , James Harrison. If you plan on sticking with the Steelers
    you better get that 2nd contract.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    You do realize that the Steelers are now one of those bottom feeders? We are now the teams check on the schedule as a win for them. No one is worried to play the Steelers anymore. We are

18. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017
    Things we all need right now that could help:

1. Faith- that the organization takes the necessary measures needed to get back to Steeler football

2. Hope- that it doesn't take too long for this to happen

3. Patience- during 1 and 2. JMO>

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we are a bottom feeder and will be for a while, underdogs for a couple years to come, and certainly as long as Tomlin is here

20. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After spending time with the All 22 film watching our offense, and watching every play at least 2-3 times, I think this is certainly accurate. The key word is “inconsistent.” On almost every run play, someone on the O line, or Freiermuth who is a mediocre run blocker, gets beaten badly. I’m thinking back to one play in particular vs the Bengals as an example where everyone handled their assignments except for Daniels, but Daniels was blown up so badly that the one guy coming through ruined the play. It happens so often. So while a site like PFF will grade all of our lineman in the 60’s (which is an OK lower-tier starter grade), as a unit they fail too often. Another great example of the line failing was a TE screen to the left side to Freiermuth. Moore, Dotson and Hassenauer were leading: 3 linemen vs 3 DBs. Perfect setup right? Moore whiffed at his guy and Dotson for some reason ignored the next guy and doubled up on the innermost guy (Hassenauer’s guy) and left one unblocked. Just awful to watch it unfold on film and think of how explosive that play could have been.

Adding to run game issues is that Freiermuth is a bad run blocker, and other guys are frequently not doing their jobs as blockers when called upon either. Thinking back to another run play vs the Bengals, everyone did their jobs on the line and at TE, but Gunner had to seal off Hilton, and Hilton tossed him aside like a half empty cereal box even though the play setup put Gunner in perfect position. It’s pretty much a failure on the part of everyone who needs to block.

As an aside, Gentry is a really good run blocker. The one consistent bright spot in my All 22 session.

Moore is the worst by far, followed by Dotson. Chuks is ok on most plays, but when he loses, he loses immediately and badly. Setting aside my example above, Daniels is the best of the bunch. Come was solid. Hassenauer is what he is: a meh backup.

• Like Like x 3
  21. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020

1) NO Faith in Rooney, he is clueless, has been for 6 or so years..........

2) Hope is not a strategy

3) Patience is.....waning

22. Steel Hog

Dec 6, 2017

• Like Like x 1
  23. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I don't believe that for one second. Maybe teams aren't scared of them necessarily but there are no guaranteed wins in the NFL.

The Chiefs got beat by the Colts, arguably the worst team in the league at the time.

The Bills got beat by the Jets, who look awful right now. They also got beat by the Vikings, who beat the Commanders that ended Philly's unbeaten streak but not before Philly beat the Cowboys who hammered the Vikings but also lost to a bad Packers team.

How's that for run on sentences? I'm sure you get the point. Any given Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    Did Mike Tomlin put in some cameo coaching appearances for those teams, because everyone knows only Tomlin loses to inferior competition?

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  25. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    Ding ding, we have a winner!

• Winner Winner x 1