1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When it will be the time to fire Matt Canada?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steelersfan43, Sep 18, 2022.

1. 34!

34! Member

May 12, 2021
    What is the actual basis for wanting him fired? Compare him to all of his peers and it's pretty clear he's still one helluva coach. Big Ben bailed him out? Cause Big Ben had more than his fair share of screwups in those years you mentioned.

This is a common phenomena in the NFL amongst fans. In New Orleans they wanted Payton gone for years. They got their wish; it looks ugly. Steeler fans want Tomlin gone, even though the bust rate of a new head coach is staggeringly high. I bet they would take him back. The Bears fans wanted Lovie Smith gone. He was gone and it was a long time before they did anything without him. How many of us wanted Cowher gone before he finally won the Super Bowl? Denver fans wanted Shanahan gone (and he was a horrible GM and ironically loyal to one of the worst DCs in NFL history, Slowik), but things got worse after he left, too.

Point is, it's hard to justify firing a coach who finally will have one losing season. The NFL is a brutal league, longevity is rare. I'm sure Ravens fans are calling for Harbaugh to get fired; I hope they get their wish.

2. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

MT is a very low tiered X's and O's coach. Sure, we could do worse but I don't think he belongs in the HOF by any means. JMO.

3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I just don’t understand how fans can see so little postseason success over a decade and still defend this guy. The arrow for the Pittsburgh Steelers is pointing way down and we no longer have a franchise QB. This is the perfect time to start fresh but Rooney just can’t come to grips. Tomlin wasn’t even able to win big games with Ben the last 10/11 years and now his fraudulent coaching will be seen by everyone. Still we will have fanboys stick their heads in the sand and pound their chest about regular season records and non losing seasons. Guess what if Mike sticks around another 5 years I’m guessing they won’t have that BS trump card to pull anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. 34!

34! Member

May 12, 2021
    His resume is what his resume is; facts are facts. Ironically, what DJ noted above is the same complaint, the exact same argument as well that Chief fans made about Andy Reid. Then Mahomes showed up and magically he was a great HC again. Regarding the point about QBs: judging him on what will be his first losing season ever without a franchise QB is curious. I think I would be the one making that argument, but for my side of things.

5. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I’ve been judging Mike since the Jaguars debacle that was when it was clear this guy would never lead this team to anything great. Since then 0 playoff wins and now his first losing season. If he sticks around, which unless he gets burnt out will be the case, this is only the beginning. KP isn’t Patrick Mahomes so Tomlin would actually have to out coach teams to win not just rely on BB to beat teams with worse QBs.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. 34!

34! Member

May 12, 2021
    But he already did lead the team to something great. How likely was it for him to get a playoff win with a declining Ben the last two years? Sounds like you're arguing the QB is more of a problem than Tomlin is.

Honestly, it feels like the fans are largely going "we're not SB contenders every year and because of that Tomlin is bad and must be fired." I don't think that's a good take.

7. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I don’t necessarily want Tomlin fired, but to continue to tolerate mediocrity year after year is unacceptable. I understand what you were saying earlier and I don’t necessarily believe there’s any guarantee that we’ll find the next great coach once he moves on, but there’s no guarantee we won’t either. Our playoff performance has been abysmal for the better part of the last decade and that’s where the rubber meets the road. Better coaches have lost their jobs for less (Dungy, Reed, Schottenheimer). Tomlin’s been there 15 years now and his message is getting stale. I think we need an offensive minded coach to help with Pickett’s development. Honestly, I don’t trust Tomlin with Pickett. At the VERY LEAST, Rooney and Khan better not allow Tomlin to unilaterally make another junk OC hire after Canada is fired. It should not be Tomlin’s decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Or...If we continue to really struggle...If we were at say 2-10, 3-11...And the National media are all talking about the Steelers demise...

Tomlin will THEN cut Air Canada loose...His reputation will start to be compromised, and that loyalty BS will fly out the window if Popcorn starts feeling the Heat

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    How many more years do you think we have our brilliant x's and o's coach head cheerleader. Add 3 more after he goes until we have a shot at a super bowl.

10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
  11. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    We have had some downright embarrassing playoff losses over the past several years. Should have lost to the Bengals and AJ McCarron if you want to take it a step further. The Steelers looked shell-shocked and unprepared too many times. That's coaching. The only two postseason games in the past decade we played with heart were the dolphins WC game in 2016 and Broncos divisional game in 2015. The rest were weak efforts we either lost or squeaked by thanks to Boswell and some dumb luck.

13. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I wouldn't think it would take much to get Haley to leave the USFL and come to Pittsburgh.

And, I have no Idea what Mike Sullivan could bring to the table if promoted mid-year. Former OC of Tampa and the NY Giants.

I don't see how we can get any worse on offense right now.

14. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    The physicals will hinder any new coaching hire so...

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    If Canada is not back next year which is very likely, what OC or what type of OC would you like to have with the Steelers?

• Like Like x 1
  16. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Finland comes to mind

17. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    No

18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I was a supporter until then

Especially when he did an interview with Dungy discussing New England before we played Jaguars

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    One that doesn't have to have a specific skill set to design, or run His offense.

20. paul m

paul m Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Playoff wins and super bowls.

• Like Like x 1
  21. paul m

paul m Member

Jan 22, 2017
    Guys like Mahomes come around maybe once every 5-10 years, and you have to be in right position to get them.

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    There is a fine line. Cowher came in and a fire was lit. Went to a SB and lost, some good and not so good seasons, then a new life when Colbert came on board.

After the SB Cowher lasted one year and bolted. Tomlin has had his success, he also has went a decade without much if any post season success. There comes a time when you just need a fresh start. Could the Steelers do worse? Certainly, but mediocre is not the standard.

23. MattCanada

MattCanada Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2022
    Once this offense comes full circle a lot of people will have egg on their face , this offense has weapons and systems in place to be successful, trust the plan . Without a doubt moving forward we can execute certain plays and put our selves in the position to make a splash play and control the game

24. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Sarcasm is green font just an fyi

Otherwise welcome new guy you are an idiot

25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Say what you will about Haley and I get that he’s a douchebag, but he does know offensive football. And the Rooney and Haley families go way back so it wouldn’t surprise me to see him make another appearance with the Steelers in some capacity in the future.

• Like Like x 1