1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Kenny by the numbers

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelHack, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'm glad you mentioned Favre. People forget that his rookie year was with the Falcons. He was 0-4 passing with 2 picks so the Falcons thought that they had a total bust at QB and traded him to Green Bay after his disastrous rookie year. That's what bad organizations do. They panic if they don't see great results right away instead of looking at the big picture down the road.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i am not sure who claims them to be any good? Claypool is a full blown BUST. and Najee is well on his way..... trade them both if we can

3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Gotta add something. :)

Mitch often went 3 and out (or more importantly, not so much as 3 and out but rather drive sustainment) on say a 3rd and 4 and he opts to the 2 yard instead of the 5 yard pass. Moving the chains is #1. He drove me nuts with that, or even worse that damn incompletion that wasn't even close.

Now the Mitch we saw finish the Tampa game was an exception. He did try to push the chains.

Kenny threw an interception (ill advised) past the chains when he could have hit a wide-open Harris for about the same yardage. I don't see him make that mistake very often. I think he did see Harris, but I also think he went too aggressive. You gotta take what the defense gives.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I'm not sure I'm buying is the same offense. There was a big deal being made about Ben having to learn a new offense when Canada was promoted. Then it turned into Canada was hand cuffed by old immobile Ben.... it looks exactly the same to me except Kenny rolls out

The lowest yards per catch of Bens career were his last 2 years under Canada... but all we heard was it was because he was old and had to get the ball out fast.. couldn't throw the deep ball

Kenny is young, mobile, getting better protection... and the yards per catch is even lower

Kennys average per attempt is 3.9 yards.... and while not conparing him to Mahomes but more offense to offense. KC is 8.9 per attempt...ie everytime KC throws the ball they try to get 9 yards... everytime Pitt does they are hoping for 4.

It's like they are not even playing the same game. ... and before everyone gets all Mahomes on me....Bailey Zappe is at 8.1 per attempt and I do not think Zappe is better than KP

HACK

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    That is true for every quarterback though, is it not? Every young QB has a better chance of being Kordell Stewart (or worse) than they do of being the best ever. Or even a great QB. No one said anyone is going after him, its just the prevailing narrative of his struggles is pretty lame. Kenny and Mitch have a different FEELING about their struggles because one is a rookie in his third game and the other is a 6 year vet who has started 54 games. People feel better about Kenny going 3 and out than they do Trubisky in the same way a boss (in nearly any profession) feels better about mistakes coming from a new hire than they do coming from a seasoned vet. You expect mistakes from rookies (and hope that they learn from them) you expect the vet to know better and not make those mistakes in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly....a very true, but simple concept that a lot are for some reason are overlooking.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    Let’s wait until after the second half of the season before assessing Pickett’s numbers. Three of the defenses he has faced so far are top-10 in the league (with the Bills at 1). Philly is number 4, so Kenny’s numbers may not improve much this week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I predict that Kenny will have 10 TD passes and 14 ints by the seasons end. Meaning that he will throw 8 TDs and 7 picks from this point forward. I did see one positive stat for him on the NFL Network today. His 68.5 pass completion rate is ranked 4th among NFL QB's.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011

That was my point.... he is not likely to be Stewart, but everyone uses the best in the league to compare him too

Yes he is a rookie but he is getting way more excuses than we give o other rookies?

Kendrick Green didn't get any where close to he is a rookie

People wanted Claypool gone about mid way through year 2

Thru want Najee benched or traded after 1 year

No one is saying Canada is basically a rookie play caller ... give him a chance.....well except Tomlin

Ultimately this was never a bash on Kenny..... it was literally here are the numbers..... make of it what you will.

I too feel good about Kenny.... and I'm not a fan of his... he has to win me over and he is... my biggest concern is he has had 3 drives inside of the final 3 minutes with the game on the line and he has thrown 3 picks.. i don't expect him to be perfect, but after the second one.. maybe lets be a little more secure with the ball.

But as i said.. these are just the numbers... FEEL whatever you want to feel

HACK

10. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    20221024_213802.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013

12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I keep seeing thoughtless posts regurgitating this nonsense.

This ignorant take suggests that Pickett lost the ability to learn and improve. Given the trajectory of his college career, that is nonsense.

Also, if he could translate what he was at Pitt to what he is with the Steelers, that would put him at an elite level. People regurgitating the foolishness of him having already hit his ceiling are the ones trying to argue that the Steelers should be drafting guys with physical talent who weren't particularly good in college. They have done that before and it hasn't worked. Hell, go back to the '80s. Mark Malone has the physical tools. He had the arm. He had size and athleticism. He also sucked. More recently, they tried it with Terrell Edmunds, who needed five years to get to average.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He made a very poor decision there, but oddly enough, he really wasn't off balance. He did what Pickett does well, he managed to stop and set himself before the throw. There were two things that turned that play into disaster. One was misunderstanding what Johnson was doing. Pickett thought he was coming back to the ball, but Johnson went the other way. The other was that he took a poor risk when he could have run for 10-to-15 yards and given himself two or three shots at the end zone from inside the 20.

14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    This is my problem with Pickett's critics. There are genuine reasons to criticize, but y'all would rather post nonsense like this.

15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It's not a Lamar Jackson type offense, which is run-first. They don't run well enough for that.

He did show the ability to improvise and make big plays on throws like that in college. He just hasn't figure out how to translate that to the pro level yet. What he does really well is get himself into a position that he can throw with good mechanics quickly. He actually did it on the final interception against Miami. He just made a very poor decision on the throw.

16. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He wasn’t set, he threw it airborne. One of the reasons I was against them taking Pickett is he’s not the kind of QB to make plays like this, this is a Mahomes/Allen play. Maybe he will prove me wrong in time but I don’t think thats his game. Pulling it off in college is not the same as being able to do it in the pros. I’m not sure I buy his excuse about where he thought Johnson was going to go, not sure why he would think Johnson would cut back to the pylon. I think it was just a poor throw as well as a poor decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada isn't a rookie signal-caller. He has been doing it professionally for a long time. Remember, college coaches are still professionals. He's not a kid in his 20s.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    He stopped to square his shoulders, which many quarterbacks don't do on the run. I don't think it was an excuse, either. He was sharing his thought process. He was clearly mistaken and he said as much. He made a poor read of what Johnson was doing.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Thats not “setting” He was airborne and threw off balance. He needs to win like Brady, stay within himself and play to his strengths.

20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    In all honesty
    I believe the pass was a "no look"

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I get what you are saying. I mentioned in one of the other discussions that it was against what he would usually do at Pitt. He would throw on the run going right, but not while rolling left.

Upon watching it again, yeah, he set his shoulders, but not his feet.

• Like Like x 1
  22. zcoop

zcoop Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2018
    I don't think you can use Farve. The Falcants traded him because of his sauce problem and work habits. He was a 2nd round pick behind the beloved Chris Miller.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don't think you will have to worry about the Rooney's doing this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Give the kid a break he’s faced a brutal debut. I don’t like his mechanics on the run, do like em from the Pocket but the sample size is small. Let’s see what he does for an entire season particularly up against teams post bye. We have to remind ourselves that a HOF QB would be challenged by the same schedule Kenny has debuted in. Wrap your mind around that. So, roll with him good bad and ugly and see what we have by year’s end. At that point we won’t have to speculate we’ll know and can roll into the draft with a plan.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  25. SteelHack

Oct 21, 2011
    Kenny #s

NYJ 2 quarters
    5 drives
    2 TD
    3 INT

Buff 4 quarters
    11 drives