1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Those are not rookie mistakes . . .

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Steel Acorn, Oct 24, 2022.

1. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    they are just mistakes. While an NFL rookie, Pickett has been a high level QB for years. Sure, facing NFL defenses is an adjustment, but the game is the same. Ben, Brady, Mahomes, Rogers, etc. all have games where they make boneheaded decisions, and defenses sometimes make really good plays. The decisions need to be made in a split second, and mistakes will happen for even experienced QBs.

What is needed is some offensive schemes, plays, and designs that minimize the need for spectacular comebacks in the 4th.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Scoring a single TD anytime after the 2nd half KO would not have required a "spectacular" comeback. Improved field position via grabbing a few gimme INTs wouldn't have hurt either and maybe have shifted momentum. A very winnable game in spite of the TOs. Hats off to the D after the 1st TD for adjusting and keeping it within reach.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    It was his third NFL start, so yeah, they are rookie mistakes. That means he has ample opportunity to learn from them. He showed the ability to do that at Pitt. Hopefully, he will adjust more quickly to the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Please, offensive schemes, like the other fella said, “ its run, run, pass, punt! Thats all canada is capable of, oh n maybe the always tricky end around that fails constantly!

• Like Like x 1
  5. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    For a gunslinger mentality he needs to start scoring and having a bigger YPA lol Canada is crap though so I don’t know

• Like Like x 1
  6. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Hate that! I'm hoping Canada is relived of his lack of being an NFL offensive coordinator duties and shown the door at the bye. Make Sullivan interim Offensive coordinator. Get some stones Tomlin and get rid of that scrub!

7. waywardson

waywardson Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    Next week is gunba b a disaster too!, philly is our kryptonite over the years, n to make it worse, my wifes a philly fan n thats ALL i bin hearin, we r 6-0, we r 6-0, well pitt was 11-0 two yrs ago n wheels fell off! I think id rather stare into the sun than watch this game next week, 28-6 philly

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  8. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada has no feel for the game or when to call certain plays for certain situations. He is terrible at it. Pickett needs help out there and can’t do it all on his own and Canada does absolutely nothing to make his job easier.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RONN

RONN Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2020
    That last INT the WR never made a play for the ball,was just standing there in the endzone waiting for the ball coming to him.
    Lack of game situation, coaching etc. a combo of both

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    So why don't guys who win the Heisman which is the most prestigious award in college just easily translate to then nfl since you're using what Pickett did at Pitt to say what he possibly will do in the pros.

11. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    :facepalm:

Proof that education in America is failing!

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    SDOT is looking for a boycott partner. J/S.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I don’t understand Rookie mistakes other than maybe misjudging Pro defensive speed.

He’s been a QB all his life, he knows where to throw a ball.

The final INT seemed to be a miscommunication between he and the Receiver, you could see him directing his hands like a missed route.

I’m not dissing him.
    I believe if you can get him into a Playoff game he could pull a win out if he’s not physically beat up by then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The pro game is faster and more complex. It is going to take time to adjust.

Miscommunications with receivers are part of it, too. That is where not starting him sooner hurts now.

At least Roethlisberger had training wheels of a sort as a rookie. He had a strong defense, a quality offensive line, and a running game. He didn't even throw 30 passes in a game until the playoffs his rookie year. Pickett threw over 50 in his first start and 44 last night.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Johnson had no shot at that. I guess he could have made some effort, but really, that one was entirely Pickett's fault.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    I’ll have to see better video of the play, but I always thought when your QB is scrambling, the receivers are to come back to the ball. Not sure what Johnson was doing, but clearly not on the same page. I also wonder about the previous pick - was Johnson supposed to cut in front of the defender? Communication between QB and receivers takes a while to develop - hopefully not too long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    One reason is that playing quarterback isn't one skill. It is an array of skills. That means there isn't just one way they can fail in the pros. There are many ways. Maybe they don't have the physical tools. Maybe their processing speed hit its limit in college. Maybe they were fine as long as they had overwhelming talent around them in college, but they could never adjust to facing opponents with as much speed and skill as the guys on their own team.

My point about Pickett is that he demonstrated the ability to learn from his mistakes and willingness to put in the work to improve during his time at Pitt, where he did get better over time. Of course, if it takes him as long at the pro level as it did in college, both he and the Steelers are screwed.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think Johnson did anything wrong on the previous interception. The defender as in better position to break on the ball.

On the last one, you have to consider the remaining time, too. If Johnson comes out of the end zone, he could easily be tackled in the middle of the field with time running out. Johnson clearly thought the ball would be thrown toward the end line rather than back toward the field, which is not an unreasonable assumption. Maybe the two of them just need more time working together, but also, Pickett needs to make a better throw there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 58stillers

58stillers

Nov 14, 2011
    aside from the obvious mistakes by Pickett...... I wonder if DJ could have come back to the ball and at least challenged the defender or nudged him out of bounds.

Yes I know if the through had been more to the inside, he would have a better chance...... but I was a bit disappointed to see DJ just stop and start walking back to the sideline..... I would have hoped for a little more effort from a guy expecting a big pay day.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The first pick wasn't a pick. It will go down as one in the stats and give some a stone to throw.
    It was PI.

The second 2.

The first one was just purely aggressive. He had Harris for nearly as much yardage.
    And if he had looked opposite side, he might have tricked the Safety into following his eyes there. but he looks right at DJ and fired one right in there.
    Bad throw, I think he learned. I do think he will remain aggressive though.

The second on, he was rolling and should have elevated the ball... he said he thought DJ would come in but I think it's more of becoming familiar with his receivers.
    That will work out in the upcoming practices and games. For now, I mark it as a right read/wrong throw. This is a rookie thing.
    25 seconds and you do tend to push a little.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    They also tried to keep the play to one side of the field when Ben did pass. I wonder if they would ever tailor the offense to specific players on the field. It doesn't seem like it as the offense looks as terrible as always with any of the 4 qb's over the past 1.5 years.

22. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I, just don't see, bonefide franchise play from any of our qb's

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    THANK YOU. that's been my main point. Not saying Pickett is complete trash but I don't see a guy that can go toe to toe with these other top guys in the afc. He can't even go toe to toe with anyone in his division tbh.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Not saying he can or cannot, but its been 3 games with what everyone seems to agree is a bad OC.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    The 3 games are not why I'm saying this. I thought this the moment they drafted him.