1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

In the end, Tomlin's team came together.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Karl, Oct 16, 2022.

1. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    A rag tag bunch of defenders stepped up time and time again to shut down Tom Brady and the Tampa Bay Bucs. I found myself constantly looking at the game flyer to figure out which DB was who but by the time the final whistle blew, I knew who Josh Jackson, James Pierre and Tre Norwood were.

Even a hapless Mitch Trubisky came in and made a few plays that sealed the victory. Mitch can thank
    Chase Claypool and Geroge Pickens for helping him out. Claypool in particular made some highlight reel grabs.

It didn't look like the Pittsburgh team I had seen the past few games. Pickett was sharp early on and drove the offense right down for a TD. It took what I thought was a blown roughing the passer call to take Kenny out for the concussion protocol. Najee Harris started off hot with a couple good runs, Jalen Warren chipped in with some more. Together they only combined for 77 yards, it could have been better.

I think the day belonged to the defense which frustrated Tom Brady time after time, holding his to 4-14 on 3rd down conversions to the delight of the hometown. Tampa is no juggernaut on offense but most everyone was expecting the Tom Brady led offense to find a cure for what ails them against the banged-up Steelers. Even a be lingered Devon Bush stepped up to make a very good play in a potential game tying 2-point conversion, batting away a near perfect Brady pass.

Good game Steelers. This is something you can build on.
    Upcoming road games in Miami and Philadelphia and then the bye which hopefully some ailing players heal up for the 2nd half of the season.

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Today was one of the gutsiest performances I’ve seen from the Steelers in a long time. Everything was stacked against them and they pulled through. Time and again they got crucial stops on defence, and while the offence was stuttering all day they closed it out really well.

You have to hand it to the players that were out there, they played above the sum of their talents.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    I feel that all the criticism got to this team especially the defense. Add Tomlin in to that. He had the players he had available ready to play. Wasn't perfect. But a gritty win! Have to give him props for this game. And Mitch showed up big as well as Claypool.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I picked the Steelers all week to win this game. Didn't have any confidence that they could actually pull it off but they did big time today. I've been known to give Tomlin a lot of grief but today he did a heck of a job with banged up roster.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    When’s the last time we saw this team getting timely stops and key first downs.

Hats off to this team today, fantastic effort and gutsy win as others have said.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Tomlin pulled the usual "lets give the other team some points at the end of the first half" BS, but the team bailed him out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I was really close to the Steelers sidelines.. real nice energy and I liked how they sort of banded together.
    Myles Jack was everywhere. When he came out, I was wondering how they would fill his spot, but Allen came and did well.

I did not think they would pull off the 4 minute drill... Najee kicked it nicely with that 8-yard run.
    You could see that offensive line feed off that too.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Heart / passion are very important, at any level of competion. You have
    To want the game more than your opponent.

• Like Like x 3
  9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Tram.
    I keep reading Team.
    Maybe there is something there?

10. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I’m glad we won today but we know the real reason lol

D022FC15-5BED-4D0B-B5E1-255CAD65FAC2.jpeg

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  11. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    It certainly was a team win, everyone definitely lifted their game.

No name defense did enough to get the W.

• Like Like x 1
  12. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Time to dump big contracts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  13. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Like who?

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    On the right....is He powering up to Super Saiyan???

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  15. bigbenhotness

Nov 1, 2014
    Yea haha

• Like Like x 1
  16. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Cannot believe Tomlin led this team against a Tampa Bay team that was nearly 100% in terms of its personnel. Steelers were down three Corners and Minkah. Hell of a win for the team.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Well Tampa has no run game this year, Ryan Jensen was a big part of that.

18. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Does not matter.

Pittsburgh did not and still does not have one either. Truth be told, Tampa should have won this game given how they have nearly all their weapons at the WR Corps back.

19. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    I think part of the performance on defense was them seeing the offense actually trying to score this game got them pumped up that a win was possible.

Let`s not go brown nosing Tomlin after one game where the team gave their best. If you give credit for the good, you have to rake him over the coals when the team quit too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. SuperSteelers

SuperSteelers Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Exactly. This should be the standard week in and week out. My only concern is will they revert back to the standard and make this a one time anomaly.

• Like Like x 1
  21. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    With over half the D out to injuries, the players with the least amount of coaching performed well.

Hey,
    upload_2022-10-16_22-25-44.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  22. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Seriously, does your name translate to dumb s***, because that seems to be your MO in regards to comments you leave on this board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    A big shout out to Mitch T for making key plays when KP was concussed.
    also Claypool and Bush

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Tomlin did a pretty good job but at the same time, I can acknowledge that this team isn't the best he's fielded, and every game is going to be tough.
    The current Tampa Bay team is nowhere close to the Super Bowl Tampa Bay team.

But to make an example using the brown-nosing statement, one should notice that when the offense executes, the plays are there. When the defense executes, the plays are there. When both are executing, you get nice plays from guys like Claypool and Bush and Trubisky, etc. They do the things we expect. It kind of underscores how misaligned those strawman coaching knocks are. The blame goes around.

I've been down on Austin's defense. For the most part, it is because I see miscommunications on plays - players not aligning right or blowing assignments. That's coaching. Players whiffing tackles, getting ran over, blocked, or committing stupid penalties is more of a player thing. I do think Canada and Austin (and by default Tomlin) still own a percentage of that. This win does not absolve anyone.

The next 2 games may not turn out well.
    Are the Steelers at Miami's level? They can certainly win this one. Injuries are the wild card.
    Are the Steelers at Philly's level? I think Philly is a farce, probably the worst undefeated team I've seen in a while save for the 11-0 Steelers coming to Washington and laying an egg. But I do think Philly is the better team.
    Hopefully 1-1 into the bye and hopefully some players can heal up for that second half run. .500 is not a goal to strive for, and hard to do with 17 games, and I see the Steelers at best a 7-win team with a lot of adjusting to do this coming off season. That's my long game viewpoint.

• Like Like x 2
  25. D0bre Shunka

D0bre Shunka Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2012
    By the eloquence of your response and the fact that my name translates to something very Steelers the only Dumbshat, is you! Seriously, get a clue, wad.

Kettle meet pot.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2022