1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Things Ben says. Need for sticky

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by thorn058, Oct 5, 2022.

1. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    NFL news alert that pushed to my phone about Ben's take on Mitch getting yanked and Kenny providing a spark.

Long and short of it Ben says it's not Mitch's fault. Offense was stagnant. Of course putting in Kenny generated a spark but can't be a permanent thing and that he would not have benched Mitch. Yes the guy who has never been yanked from a game in his professional career even after a 4 turnover performance and at least 14 points against off those turnovers would back Mitch. I'm still betting that he thinks he can make a comeback too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. A lot of Qbs have had many turnovers in a game, and have not been yanked. P. Manning had 6 one game....still played.....
    K. Warner had 6 one game still played....T. Romo the same.....I could go on....hell I believe Drew Brees I believe threw 5 in a game twice in one season, and didn't get benched. :shrug:
    All He's doing is the Qb brotherhood thing. They never talk bad about each other.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Seems like Favre threw more INTs in his career than TDs... :lolol:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  4. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Comparing Mitch to Ben is where you lost me. Not understanding the purpose of the thread beyond a Ben bash thread.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    In a lot of instances where you have a franchise QB or top teir talent the guys behind them are lower quality QB'S who in most likelihood are not better than the starter even on that starters worse day. At no point in the last 15 years or more were any of Ben's backups particularly noteworthy. I can't even think of who Manning's back up was. I mean it's less of a Jim Miller /Kent Graham type thing than a Montana/Young one. In most cases you have to weigh is leaving a guy who caused 4 turnovers in there a good idea or do you put the waterboy in just to stop the bleeding?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Against The Rules Against The Rules x 1
  6. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    The purpose of the thread is that for let's say the next two seasons conservatively people will still be going to him fir his opinion and sometimes that opinion will be funny and really slanted in his direction.

7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Ben is, well, what Ben is.
    A retired QB that still has a fire to play the game, but the body says something else.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I don't think he feels that Mitch is a threat to his legacy but Kenny has near cult like following in Pittsburgh right now and that is something Ben feels that threatens his standing with Steeler fans.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    No doubt.
    But Kenny is a long way from proving anything. :)
    I do hope he even better than Ben in his prime.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe so but I don't get the comparison between Ben and Mitch. Big difference when talking about a guy who is barely .500 and now on his 3rd team in 6 years compared to a HOF'er who already played in 2 AFCCG, got a Lombardi, and offensive rookie of the year in first 2 years in the league. You don't bench a guy like Roethlisberger. Mitch isnt on the same level as Ben. You just seem to want to take a shot at Roethlisberger for some reason.

• Like Like x 2
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Guess I'm just not following the logic. Was Terry worried about Ben threatening his legacy? Are you saying that Ben is critical of Mitch getting benched because he is worried about Pickett hurting Ben's legacy??? That is ludicrous.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Agreed!

• Like Like x 1
  13. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm saying Ben is critical of Tomlin's choice to bench Mitch. He is critical of people looking at the offense and breaking down the issues and giving the majority of the blame to Mitch as QB because he feels it is an overall problem not just Mitch. Ben was as realistic as the rest of us and knew that no matter what the chances of Mitch Trubisky taking this team to number 7 was slim so his place in Steelers Nation was secure. No real worries.

Then we have Pickett. He is a flavor of the moment. He had great success at Pitt. Yinzers love him. The tiny hands things haven't diminished that. Has a good camp. Shows well in preseason action, seems to have a spark. Steeler Nation defends him when Tomlin makes the mistake of make him QB 3. Chants of Kenny fill the stadium while the offense continues to struggle. So yeah the fan love for the rookie who may never do anything to the level of Bradshaw and Ben may be looked at as threatening to the guy who has always been unsure about how the fans feel about him. Especially after his public struggles with the law and his attitudes the last few years where he was cold towards Mason but trusted Josh to the point of actually listening to play break downs. It is ludicrous to think the guy who at a post season press conference where they were going to the SB continued to harp on reporters saying his offensive line was the worst in football. Yeah no way he retired and is ok that the stadium is chanting Kenny's name when he hasn't done anything. It's crazy, I'm just insane for even thinking it.

14. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    I didn't compare Mitch to Ben. I said that the guy who has never been yanked from a game in his professional career would side with the starter and think he could turn it around because that is what Ben's experience tells him. I did it so Mitch can do it too. Only Mitch can't and Ben was mixed.

15. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Has Ben not been yanked from a game? Is that true? I seem to recall a few where he hasn't finished games for the last few series when the game was out of hand.

16. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Even after reading your comments multiple times, I'm just not following your logic thorn or what the point of the thread is other than to take shots at Ben. Whether your intent or not, that is what I read. :shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Ok yes it is a shot at Ben. This is like the third time he has said some funny stupid stuff. Remember the whole I felt like they didn't want me back comment. They gave you a crap load of money upfront at once to have you play last year. If that is not wanting him back sign me up.

Lest I be painted as a Ben hater, I think Ryan Clark says some of the funniest dumb stuff too and he needs a sticky too. It's like these guts get a microphone and it means they need to morph into Mark Madden.

18. KnoxVegasSteel

Oct 21, 2011
    Well, fair enough then. I didn't read that much into Ben's comments other than he didn't think it was all on Mitch. It's just an opinion from a guy who isn't on the team. I don't agree with Ben's opinion but I also don't agree that he said it to somehow protect his legacy. Seems like a stretch to me. Just my opinion and we all know what they say about opinions.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    There was no comparison made.

20. Rush2seven

Rush2seven Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    There’s nothing wrong with Ben sharing his opinion. People that don’t want to hear it don’t have to listen. People that are interested can.

I didn’t take what he said as any slight against KP. He was just saying MT wasn’t responsible for all the the offensive struggles. He was protecting the brotherhood.

When Peyton said they had protection issues, it didn’t go well for him. Media always want to hear from the QB. Ben usually laid a loss at his own feet, saying he had to play better. It did him no good to call out his teammates. Now that he’s not on the team, he’s trying not to blame everything on the QB.

Again, if that message upsets you, ignore it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    To my knowledge Ben was never pulled from a game due to ineffectual play. There were meaningless games where he is replaced by the backup so as not to risk injury but never like Sunday where they needed a spark or that Ben had thrown 4 picks and fumbled. For years I had the discussion that there was no fear of getting yanked and so no pressure to improve beyond what he put on himself.

Interesting side point. Dan Patrick was talking to Mike Florio today about players lying about injuries and concussions and QB'S not wanting to lose their job. Florio said the only QB he can recall purposely leaving a game for injury was Ben because there was no fear he'd get Wally Pip'd. Aka lose his job. Because the front office never allowed there to be potential for that.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What????
    He never said His offense line was the worst in football....Never....the press was saying that. My Friend You have Your fact messed up. He actually defended them, and ask what about the Oline now after they won.

23. thorn058

Oct 19, 2011
    Sorry that whole paragraph came out convoluted because I was trying to type at work when technically I'm not supposed to. So I wasn't trying to say he was trashing his oline to the media but rather he was trashing the media for saying his oline was bad. It was a very who's laughing now high school reunion type moment. I can only assume this because I missed my 10 year and my 20 year and my 30 year this summer but I think this year it was being rolled into an all city reunion which sounded like a bad idea. I'm kinda sad I missed the 20th apparently at the mixer on Friday night one of my classmates was really wasted talking about her boob job and allowing all to test them out. Not on the bucket list but maybe should be. Anyway the point is Ben has always seemed to hold onto stuff most of us might shrug off.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  24. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I think when you take a qb round 1 and dont have an established star fans will chant to put the rookie in.

I remember going to eagles games when dougie p was the qb and mcnabb didnt start till late year 1. Fans would yell andy reid you fat bastard put mcnabb in.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. BAMASteeler

BAMASteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2022
    I more tend to trust Ben over media fans and Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 1