1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

The Mash Report - Kenny Pickett film breakdown

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Decided to make this a live video. since there were a slight grumble of a lot to look at with screen shots. however if you want a screen shot, just tell me what time to look at in the video for you.

If this video is taken down, I will upload it again with out being marked and only allowing y'all to view it for those who click the link.

The first 2 drives you can skip, unless you are unfilmair with me or what All-22 is.
    Third drive starts at 9:43

I know it is a long video but I go play by play. I make screenshots were I pause so you can see who was open, if X player was looking, where Kenny is looking, etc etc.

if you need other breakdowns of other players just be specific what play and what the game time was, so I can find it. So if you tell me, "tell me what bush activity was", I am probably going to say no. It takes me about 1 hour a quarter to look at all the plays of just the offense. for instance this took me 5 hours to make, I started working on it when I got the notification at 5 this morning. So if you say, "tell me where bush was for 3:11 seconds on the clock", then more than likely I can get you a short video made. same thing if you would like a screen shot.

Enjoy God Bless, hope this help y'all.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Also I use no fear simply because kenny took that hit with starring down the barrel and had no fear.

Also I am sure one day I'll be having a video where it will be an "omg you killed kenny". but for now to me he is known to me as No Fear.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The rollout is designed, it is mean to isolate and allow the drag pattern to flow with the rollout.
    Canada is basically trying to help him out a little. (though this play will get called with any QB and is tough to defend.)
    Good job.

4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    for those who can't watch 50 minutes......

negative are....
    - Kenny first throw was just an error. so move on. Big Ben second pass an interception to open field.
    - Claypool is open a good bit. was he afraid to throw to Claypool? because Kenny sees Claypool open several times
    - Kenny toss back to warren was on Kenny
    - He reads the field great majority of the time. but lacked reading the field a few plays.

positive. there is a lot. For someone who had 10 minutes to prepare and did not practice with the first team for those 10 days. this was impressive. honestly because of that I give him an 9 out of ten. and without that, I give him an 8 out of ten.
    - made some throws that veterans cannot make.
    - leads the ball
    - not afraid to take a hit.
    - no afraid to take a run where he just goes for it. he doesn't try to play games of dancing around.
    - 65 yards was the distance of the hail marry.
    gets the ball out fast
    - scans the field
    - rarely gets locked in on a target
    - not a single 3 and out. which Trubisky ranked 31 with most 3 and outs. So now our defense can get some rest.
    - and I am sure I am missing more. but if you have 50 minutes, I am confident you will love my film breakdown.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Thanks! I was feeling that watching the game, Canada was warming him up. the third drive is when Kenny gets relaxed, but canada still has a tight leash..... I really think by week 8/9 Kenny will be unleashed.

and you can call it wishful thinking, but with him reading plays, it is possible in season 3 he can make calls on his own. but the more telling sign will be seeing his 2 minute drills.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Thigpen82

Thigpen82 Bitter optimist

Oct 17, 2011
    Great video, thanks

• Like Like x 4
  7. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

Yes, they are going to bring him online with caution.
    Till the playbook comes quicker, and the game slows down.
    He's got a good grasp already it seems.
    The 10-minute thing was actually an endorsement for him. The coaches trusted he would be prepared.
    It will be an up and down ride though, as rookies always are.

He will come to the line with probably 2 or 3 plays as it is...

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I like this shot for a number of reasons.
    Yes we see the man open at the 2nd level - but he has a wall of blockers in front.
    What we want to see is him catch that next time...

This play is a straight up timing throw to get the ball out quickly and into Pickens hands who can make a lot happen.
    As the game slows down, his read will go across the line at expected coverages.. and he will see that open guy,.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Thank you. and agreed if it is designed then go for it. so to me that is something for Canada/Pickett to work on..... but I do like quick passes. and Mitch will get this out faster and faster.

10. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It is a process of development.
    Pickett will review the film and it will be pointed out. (I am positive the Receiver let him know too.. lol)
    It just muscle memory training and learning to trust which guys get open.
    As a coach, I want to see the next film where he sees that. :)

• Like Like x 3
  11. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    You pointed out a really nice throw.
    This contradicts a lot of sentiment here and it is why I like it.
    As I mentioned around week 1, Pickens is a guy that as a DB if you are even, Pickens is leaving.
    Pickens is a guy you throw the ball to, he has great last second separation and a good catch radius as a result.
    Pickett quicky saw that and pulled the trigger on a perfectly placed ball.
    That is a reason they drafted the kid where they did.

Mitch would not pull the trigger on that throw. That was my biggest problem with him.
    You have to trust your guys.

But it is a nice illustration of a tight 'trust throw'
    He caught the Safety playing safe and took advantage of a 1:1

As I also mentioned, the Jets Defense is not the problem there. They are ~10th in total yards and have a decent secondary.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    after doing all that I am impressed with everyone. pickens is a freak as we know. but claypool and johnson get open by a lot. as well as "88". Harris is now able to have better holes made for him. warren has a couple bumps, but he will get back to improving.

also can't believe you or anyone hasn't pointed out to me saying 88. :lolol:

13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    agreed jets are legit. I believe their problem is penalties from previous weeks. and our game they did not make a lot like there were..... and those announcers can go kick rocks trying to say jets made costly penalties. I'm not sure why they kept saying that. pickens/canada did a good job at picking them apart.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Are you kidding? It is much easier to say 88 than that name. I like TE's with names like Miller, Grossman, etc...

Those guys are getting open.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Dag nam same thing with 88 open. In fact better for mitch. He just would not throw

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Mitch is snake bit.
    And now that he has an attitude since being benched (rightly so) he is a cancer.
    If it were me, I'd have Mason at #2.
    But, maybe they pissed him off too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I missed something

Does he now have an attitude

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Yes.
    Typically, I would say Mitch is professional enough to put it aside.
    He got benched for good reason, he couldn't be so blind as to not see it coming.
    Maybe he was just mad for a day and needs a cooling off period. (Hopefully that is the answer)
    But if he is going to maintain such an attitude, then he is cancer.
    His role is stay prepared and help the QB group be the best.
    My hope is that can do just that. His role is important.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. CanadianSteel

CanadianSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Do you have a link or quote showing his poor attitude? Tomlin said he was as he expected… A professional about the demotion. That’s all I’ve seen on it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    There are definitely some solid positives, but this is key. You can't score if you can't move down field, and you can't expect the defense to keep up when they are dead tired from being on the field so long.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I saw a few quotes from the press conference that were fine with no attitude just disappointment as expected

• Like Like x 1
  23. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    I don't really do links to justify stuff. I have been an insider for 35 years. So, I do not jeopardize other writers' scoops or plagiarize their stuff. It's take it or leave it. :)
    I don't mean to be an a-hole, it's just the way I operate.
    But I did see a blurb somewhere in one of the site, maybe off ESPN? (I don't spend a lot of time looking at articles as I usually have someone who fills me in)

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Once a player acts that way, I would release them on the spot. It tells the rest of the players you can't act this way, regardless who you are. And announce he is a #3 and not a captain anymore.

So yes, i would tell everyone on the league he is open for a 7th. If no one makes a trade for him, he gets dropped.

Or else you'll have a star player do it and you can't set an example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Exactly my biggest grumbling the last couple weeks.

• Like Like x 1