1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Chase Claypool should be on the bench

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Tiggs99, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Chase Claypool is 6 ft 4 but plays like a 5 ft 8 inch receiver without the speed. He never seems to be open. I have never seen him come down on a jump ball. He doesnt show any blazing speed. He doesnt block. He is living off a reputation of one quarter of good play when he was a rookie. He needs to sit down.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    Hopefully Calvin Austin III can arrive sooner rather than later! Even if he does not take Claypools spot, Gunner needs to gun for another team. CAIII was a rock solid punt returner at Memphis.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  3. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    I'm curious to see whose spot is taken when CAIII is activated....hopefully it is Gunner that is gone. I would say just about anyone else on the defensive side of the ball besides Fitz, or Cam, or Highsmith. We will see soon enough.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  4. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    What the hell happened there??? I thought he'd light it up after his first season. Not sure about this but I think some of us highly overate the guys supposed to catch the ball for us.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

I would like to see CAIII myself. That said, no Preseason action in addition to returning from injury is not a winning combination. Even so, I do hope to see him on the field.

6. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    #14 and #11 will be #8"s fave WR's this year.. once they get more comfortable with each other.. just wait and see

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Already saw glimpses of that today. Pickens I am not worried about. Chase though?!?!

He has been regressing since the beginning of 2021. From immature woes, the lack of effort in blocking and now the inability to make contested catches; something he excelled with at Notre Dame. As I said before and will again; barring a 2023 to remember... Chase Claypool is likely headed somewhere else.

8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't expect too much from Austin, he will be lucky to get 2-3 touches a game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Oh I am not personally.

Had he played and performed in the Preseason... definitley a different story.

10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    In a post last week someone stated we have an elite receiving group. I did not answer, but elite? I think DJ still can be very good, Pickens if given the opportunity just may become elite. Muth may become not only a reliable, but dangerous TE. But until the production is on the field, then we have a nothing more than what you said..overrated fan opinions

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It is so hard to evaluate anyone right now. The offense has been erratic. Now that Pickett is starting let's see if the O can get enough consistently to eveluate guys.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I want to see how he does with Pickett first. You mentioned one quarter of a season that he played very good and that just happened to be with good Ben. After the Dallas game, Bens play dropped off and so did Claypools.

Last season was a disaster obviously both in QB play and play calling.

Start of this season was Trubisky and more of the same.

Now hopefully Pickett has the goods and maybe we see Claypool take off again but this is his last chance. Had high hopes for him at one point, maybe he reaches that potential now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    Consistency? There's no reason to believe Pickett will bring that. If consistency is what you want, then Mitch is your man. Granted, consistently bad, but definitely consistent. Pickett may or may not be better, but he's at least going to show some promise. I wouldn't count on consistency though.

14. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    It's more that I am hoping than it is that I am expecting.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tiggs99

Tiggs99 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2019
    Offenses under Mitch has been consistently inept. His best games would be below average game for Ben. I watched him for two years in Chicago and its the same here. Pickett will have more interceptions but he will also be more potent.

16. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Claypool definitely has struggled with the deep passes that you think a guy of his size would make more times than not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Cranny

Cranny Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2017
    Claypool never high points the ball. He’s a big strong guy, but he’s always falling down when the ball arrives instead of going up and getting it. He’s greatly underachieved.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Last year i think Claypool's problem was the WR coach he sucked, glad they got rid of him... IMO #11 isnt playing bad so far this year nothing special but he is having as good as year as # 18. and doing it for a lot less $$$

19. sjromano

sjromano Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This x1000.

I think it's very revealing that JJS-S made a comment today that he's learned more from Andy Reid in KC at this point in his first season than he did in 5 with us. Sounds like a coaching issue to me.

• Like Like x 1
  20. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I heard that. We need a legitimate offensive coordinator, almost a head coach of the offense. I called for this years ago when we hired Todd Haley. Tomlin doesn’t have a clue how to coach the offensive side of the ball nor does he know how to hire an offensive coach. We’ve got to invest in an OC that can help Pickett develop and thrive. We don’t need to allow Tomlin to ruin him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Yep.

Been the saddening, continued regression of Claypool since 2021. If anything, I wouldn't mind moving Miles Boykin up should this continue. Chase simply cannot high point those footballs like he used to or even worse, does not want to.

Get someone in there that does.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Let's give Him a few games with the rookie 1st....then go from there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Issue is, this has been an ongoing problem since 2021 with Claypool. I seriously doubt it will be any different; Big Ben, Mitchell Kenny or otherwise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

This.

Better yet...

This has been an ongoing problem since a season ago. Does not matter who the QB is since Claypool cannot high point the football like he used to. What is even worse is that contested catches were one of his greatest assets coming out of Notre Dame.

Why he has regressed in that area is something I have not the foggiest. Should this continue, bench his ass for Boykin.

• Like Like x 1
  25. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    Claypool has great size, that’s it. His athleticism, route running ability, hands are all below the line IMO.