1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Who do we take with the 4th pick?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Hardini68, Sep 22, 2022.

1. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe they can get Dobbs back he looked really good in the pre season.. Let him and Mitch battle for bu...

2. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Idk....Dobbs has only played in one game after 2018. He doesnt even get a helmet most times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    1st rd? Zero chance unless like I said he has a major injury.

The Browns do that kind of stuff and it sets franchises back years. First rd picks are too valuable to ignore other positions year after year and the Steelers would never give up on a player that fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, you are abandoning logic and reason in service of your favored narrative that Pickett is a bust. You aren't basing this on evidence. You just didn't like the pick.

They aren't spending a first-round pick on a quarterback next year unless they have completely given up on Pickett, which isn't going to happen without him actually playing in a game.

Blast is right. The only way that would happen is if Pickett suffered a major injury.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I'm talking about where the team is at right now, I think they have bigger needs to address in the first round OL, CB, and ILB.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    The Steelers aren't going to be picking 1 or 2, there are a lot of bad teams in the league, and they will have a worse record than the Steelers.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Maddox and Batch

8. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Too many holes to fill, we need more talent on the oline and a replacement for Bust I mean Bush. Too many misses in the first round have put the Steelers in the position they are in now.
    First round picks should be starters and impactful starters not just average guys taking up a spot on the roster. I want an offensive line that can win at the LOS when its third and 2 .
    First rd best offensive lineman available we need a stud for 10 yrs like DD or Pouncey. I don't think you can expect to get lucky 5 times by putting together an offensive line with 4th rd talent.

9. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    why not? Arizona drafted Rosen at 10 and turned around and drafted kyler Murray the next yr. If you have a chance to get a far better player in the draft you take him regardless.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Tissue time.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    wouldn’t say no way.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    If Murray wasn’t available in the draft he came out of you think the cardinals still give up on Rosen?

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    The situations were not comparable. The Cardinals changed head coaches that same offseason, too. That isn't happening with the Steelers.

Also, Rosen's high draft status was just weird. The guy was good, not great, at UCLA. He didn't have a season like what Pickett did in 2021 at Pitt.

I know some of you are desperate to label Pickett as a reach and/or bust before he takes a snap in a regular-season NFL game, but the Steelers aren't that short-sighted.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  14. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok? We've seen teams switch coaches after taking a qb in the first rd the yr before and not get rid of them. AZ selected kyler because he was a far better talent then rosen. If that were this yr they aren't doing that.

And we've seen guys have better college seasons than a counterpart but yet not be rated higher in terms of nfl draft value because that's not what determines a better prospect.

And by your logic there should never be nfl draft grades in the offseason. How are drafts being graded if all you're doing is desperately labeling players prior to taking a snap according to you. Hell why even have a draft or ranking of prospects? We don't know what they are till they'll take a snap right?

Also it's pretty obvious that Pickett will play pretty soon. I don't think anyone thinks the steelers won't play him at all then draft someone. They are projecting that he plays, doesn't look good, they get a high pick , and then have to evaluate if they should take one of the CANT MISS talents at the qb position coming out this yr IF they have the chance.

15. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I agree but he seems to be getting better each pre season , will he ever be full time starter capable? I don't think so but he may make a nice career bu at his ceilings peak..

16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    There is no such thing as a can't-miss quarterback prospect.

By my logic, the Steelers aren't going to change their evaluation of Pickett that quickly. That is the sort of thing crappy franchises like the Cardinals do. The Steelers believe in the guy. They spent a first-round pick on him. Unless he is hurt, they aren't moving on from him that quickly.

Rosen was an aberration. Pickett was a better prospect coming out of college, in part because he was a better player in college. It was a ridiculous reach on your part to claim that means there aren't evaluations of players outside of their college games that have value. I was just providing one bit of evidence showing why a comparison of the two doesn't work.

I keep seeing these misguided posts like yours suggesting that because the Cardinals took Murray a year after taking Rosen, the Steelers might do something similar. That shows a lack of understanding of what happened with the Cardinals, all of the reasons why it was an aberration. That argument is one step away from saying teams should look for their franchise quarterback in the sixth round because that is when the Patriots got Brady.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  17. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    He has 45 yards ,and a int in what....6 years....I think He's peaked.
    Is He intelligent....very, but that has nothing to do with processing speed. Many people with less intelligence have very quick processing speed.
    On a board....You probably can't stump Him, but on the field with live bullets....different matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Its not just about Rosen. The pick was more about KYLER than about Rosen. If the Cardinals were in the same situation this yr and had the chance to draft Pickett and get rid of Rosen similar to the kyler situation there's no way they are doing that nor taking Pickett first.

Not about who was better in college. Rg3 in college was better than luck but it was no doubt luck was the best prospect because that's not what determines a better prospect. There's been guys at qb that won the heisman who weren't first rd picks.

Also luck was considered a can't miss prospect. So was Lawrence. So was Peyton when he came out. So was Elway when he came out.

And the Cardinals are crappy and made the wrong decision right? Since you're trying to criticize them for doing that as if they made the wrong choice.

Also the situation period is unique. You very rarely see a team draft a guy in the top ten then turnaround and have the 1st pick.

Also I just looked at their grades. Rosen was considered a yr 1 starter and had a higher grade then Pickett by nfl.com. so where are you getting this information that Pickett was a better prospect? From the idiotic logic that is formulated in your mind?
    https://www.nfl.com/prospects/kenny-pickett/32005049-4377-7233-6101-772adaebe15c

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/josh-rosen/3200524f-5335-7433-3207-a02a4e884405

19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    OP: maybe change the title to who do we take with first pick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. oldschool

oldschool Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks for stealing my exact post.

21. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    He's already been wrong once today....he's not going to risk being wrong twice. I wouldnt even challenge him on this topic anymore. He's going to be right no matter what (in his own mind). Let's let the season play out and see what Pickett does the next 13 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Guys may be considered can't miss, but that doesn't mean it is correct. Hell, there were people who thought Ryan Leaf was a can't-miss prospect.

Unlike you, I actually have the capacity to make my own judgments. Rosen was vastly overrated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    what you think means ****. So please stop saying Pickett was a better prospect than Rosen just because you think it. No one cares about the opinion formulated in your pea sized brain.

also you said there’s no such thing as can’t miss yet there’s credible football people who call prospects can’t miss. Stop making stuff up please.

24. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    ... hmm...

Assuming the Steelers do indeed finish with a Top Five pick, I would elect to trade down if possible assuming the guy is gone. If he is not gone, draft him. Question still is which position to go for; Offensive Tackle or Corner?!

I still say Corner as this is a tremendous upcoming class but Dan Moore has not shown he is capable of manning that blindside. Given that the team will roll with Kenny gor 2023 and beyond, I would say protecting him is top priority... as badly as the team needs a true number one corner.

Protecting the Franchise comes first.

25. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Please don't drag arguments from other threads without actually saying what you are talking about. All I see here is a false claim that someone was wrong about something.