1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pipe Dream?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by SteelReal, Sep 28, 2022.

1. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    Kyle Shanahan inexplicably being let go by the 49ers if their season goes in the toilet ...new OC...yes or no?? Discuss

Personally I think he would be quickly snatched up to coach elsewhere, but one can dream right?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    ???? Was he let go????? I don't think a season can be considered in the toilet this early.

3. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I said if his season goes in the toilet and they inexplicably let him go....would u like to see him as an OC?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    It's probably a pipe dream.

I think if Canada's offense is this anemic and the Steelers finish ~6-11 or so, he's a goner.
    This offensive staff is fairly new to Pittsburgh, there will be kinks.

But I don't have any up-and-coming OC's on my radar.
    Eric Bieniemy is not going to take another OC job.
    Scott Turner (Wash) is on a sucky staff but I don't know if I roll the dice on him.

Something to keep an eye on - Dallas.
    If they go with Sean Payton, he's not going to stick with Kellen Moore, rather bring in his own people.
    But that's a lot of speculation as Sean is playing that down.

Over in New Orleans, there's a guy, Ronald Curry who is held in high regard.
    He serves as the passing game coordinator.

I guess the question is, will Tomlin pull the plug on Canada?

• Like Like x 1
  5. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    I don't think they'll pull the plug if they end up with more than 4 wins.

My vote would be for Haley if they do pull the plug.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022

That might be right on the money.
    Here's my thought on Haley: He is the head coach and general manager for the Tampa Bay Bandits of the United States Football League.
    Not sure he wants to go anywhere, unless they fold.
    I do like Haley, not so much as a Head Coach.
    But it is seldom I've seen coaches return... (man I would like to see Munchack return)

7. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Cowherd has been ranting an interesting take..which is rare I know lol. The lowest producing Qbs have defensive head coach's. There may be an outlier, but it seems that there is a gap in production from D minded HC. Not saying that there cannot be a good or even great O, but you need someone that has a scheme, who is given the authority to run and produce that plan. Not sure how much MT has is hands on the O, but the current system is a joke.

As for Kyle I doubt he is on the hot seat, but he would be likely the number 1 choice for most of the 5 to 10 openings at the end of the year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    The question for me right now is are they leaning into the skid. Both Trubisky and Canada seem reluctant to full embrace what they are. I talk a lot about looking at how the Ravens full embraced what Lamar Jackson is and how to use that to fuel the offense. They use heavy run formations and use read option concepts in them. Mitch can run but seems to be reluctant to use it for more than extending the play and that also limits the throws he can make from those. Would Canada's office work better if it was not even Steeler football and a full version read option, spread formation college type playbook? Would it be the way to go? Right now it's a lot of disjointed parts.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Cowherd is so blatant with his hypocrisy. Always finds a way to twist a situation to fit his agenda. Sean McDermott is a good example given the example you mention. Also carries on about how the Steelers don't spend money on offense considering the Steelers are so low currently on offensive spending. Doesn't take into consideration that Ben is gone and many of our players on offense are young and on rookie deals.

He does hit on some points at times. One in particular is that the Steelers are loyal and traditional to a fault. At some point you do need to take big swings and be OK with a losing season. Not having a plan for post Ben a few years ago. And now not starting Pickett. Put the kid out there and see what we got.

10. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Yeah we keep pointing the finger at Canada but I think people underestimate how much Tomlin influences the game plans on both sides of the ball. To quote him when asked if he makes suggestions, “I do more than suggest”.

We were waiting for the Canada offense after Ben left and where is it? They are running the same game plan as last season. That tells me Tomlin is directing this.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I like kyle, but i don't see austin/flores staying around to be DC. And Kyle can't do DC at all. So who would be our DC?

Sean Payton I think could get Austin to stay.

And this is based on Tomlin is gone for whatever reason. Because I feel we have a better chance with him vs anyone out there.

12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    49ers will be in the playoffs... if Garrapolo can stay healthy. They have a solid team all around. Steelers in the playoffs? Not gonna happen. Shanahan is going nowhere, and will stay in San Francisco.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Eric is not calling plays on the offense. Andy Reid is. Hell LeSean Shady Mccoy talked about that just this week, or last week. While He was there Andy Reid was the Head coach, and OC.

• Like Like x 1
  14. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Roald Curry, was Mr. Everything, at Hampton high school, in Va. I remembered him, because he made a verbal commitment to UVa and then signed with UNc. Had a great career there, but loss to Uva of course ... lol. His talents were considered with the greats of Allen Iverson and Mike Vick. Didn't know what happened to him ... after nfl career.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SteelReal

Oct 1, 2020
    I'll wait for Canada's memoirs on his days with the Steelers claiming the same thing before I get the impression that Tomlin is anything more then a voice of approval in the war room. I look at that quote as Tomlin attempting to bear the brunt of criticism towards his staff and players knowing he's going to get blamed for it anyway. As much as Ben talks I wonder if Ben has been posed that question or even bothered to comment on it?? I just think he would have said something by now if anybody was going to say anything.

16. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I don't disagree on cowherd. The only sports radio I get in the sticks so it's that or NPR.ife sucks at times lol.

Not having a plan post ben?? A couple of teams may have success, but rarely do you find a replacement for a HoF qb quickly. Biggest problem there is paying to much for someone you know is going to hit the skids .

I agree with Cowher in that one regard. We have talent so let's see what it can do. Meth had 2 targets in the 4th quarter..why are we not using him more? Kenny is going to maje mistakes..but we are in the lower quarter of nearly every nfl stat...you might even be worse in some areas with him..but you can't be worse than last..which we are at or near lol

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Shanahan would be an awesome acquisition as OC. With that being said his female assistant would come with and steeler nation would whine incessantly about that

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am having my Sheldon moment..... Sarcasm?

I know the Head Coach of the USFL Tampa Bay Bandits comes with all the prestige and money of being the Head Crossing Guard at the local elementary school, so maybe he doesn't want to leave and become an OC for an NFL team?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    No sarcasm... :)
    I am just pointing out that he has his run of things where he is.
    From what I heard, the pay isn't bad.
    So why rejoin the corporate ranks?
    But I am all for it if he wants to jump.

20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Said it before and I'll say it again, we'll never amount to a hill of beans without lovely ladies jumping around in skimpy black and gold outfits. She could be our new cheerleader Coach:) Oh wait that is Mike's job.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I’ve herd Cowherd’s take on this. It’s not completely merit less…but all the QBs paired with defensive head coaches…my take was the QBs weren’t any good. Except herbert maybe…but that team has had tons of injuries last year…and again already this year. So…

• Like Like x 1
  22. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    i believe i have found the problem. in Canada they do have a bigger field and use 12 men. tough to put this offense in with one less man and not as much field to operate with. :cool:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    If this is the case, it would make it pretty hard for us to pull a great offensive mind. Who would want to come here just to get hamstrung by a former Defensive Backs coach? You'll likely see more Canada-like people through the door if Canada gets the can. People getting their first shot at an NFL gig, so they would be more willing to take the micromanagement in stride considering the opportunity.

I sincerely hope that we don't just bring in guys that are easy for Coach T to steam roll. Tomlin did well when he had great minds at the coordinator position and he didn't have to have his hands on their work (think LeBeau, Whisenhunt, etc.).

24. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Whisenhunt was never Tomlin's OC. Whis got hired as HC for Cardinals same year Tomlin took over for the Steelers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Throw in Metrics