1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Really We should Win.

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by S.T.D, Sep 27, 2022.

1. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I dont trust this team to score enough to make any game a formality, and tbh I don’t see the current Steelers lineup without Watt as being head and shoulders above the Jets

They may win, but if they do they’ll almost certainly make hard work of it

2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    They were exposed when Watt went down. Not saying the run defense would have been any better but he is a major difference maker on the field.

Fitzpatrick would be a huge loss.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Some how I missed this whole Fitzpatrick stuff.
    I was going by all the advantages point our way, but not if Minkah doesn't play.

4. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    The fact that Tomlin teams look like garbage against inferior opponents (home and away), and the fact that Matt Canada can't call a successful college offense in the NFL.

Bad play calling and bad QB play = whatever the hell we've called offense the past 3 weeks

• Like Like x 2
  5. Steelvision

Steelvision Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2022
    If minkah is out it’s going to be a struggle. I already don’t think we have the advantage at a key position on offense.

Tomlin saying MT is improving is disheartening, because it’s not at all obvious. I think he’s being fed a dose of BS by his offensive assistants.

6. Hardini68

Hardini68 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2018
    Your over looking it’s the Steelers I’m guessing the Jets can’t wait to play them along with the rest of the league.
    I’d bet they lose this team is horrible

7. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    The run defense would absolutely be better with Watt out there. He is an excellent run defender neither of the guys getting snaps in his place is doing anything useful against the run or pass.

It really hurts this week because the Jets have major problems at offensive tackle. This is one of those games he would have probably racked up three sacks and blown up a few more plays in the backfield.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I don't think anybody knew about Fitzpatrick until Tomlin's press conference today.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    When winless Glennon came into our house and beat us it proved that no matter what should happen, MT can find a way to lose to an underdog team that we have all the advantages at home. Or away. Or West Coast. On the moon. But then we go and beat top shelf teams when we are the dogs. It doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  10. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    You realize the Steelers are arguably the worst team in football? My 6-11 prediction was far too generous although I will say the TJ injury did skew things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Let us not forget 2005 where we had to go into OT to win the Playoff game. We were a heavy favorite if I recall.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm not sure about being the worst team in football. The OLine is far better than I was anticipating, and the run game has shown some flashes of being successful, if we commit to it. This fact about the line alone makes Mitch's play all the more suspect, because he's not exactly out there running for his life. We'll see if the run defense improves with Adams getting the starting nod over Alualu. I'd like to see Loudermilk get a helmet and some PT.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If Flacco was starting, I would be all over this simply because the Steelers are familiar with him. I don't love that Wilson is playing. Not only that, a long time off doesn't necessarily do this team any favors for whatever reason.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    On any given Sunday.

There is a lot of gloom and doom in Mudville, no doubt.
    I can't say it is not justified.
    There are a lot of teams not firing on all cylinders currently, but I think in the Steelers case, it may be just 1.
    I get the team 'shutting out the noise' as the volume increases to 11 when losing.
    I also get the reluctance to start the rookie, we all know the time is coming anyway.
    The coaches and players see it every day in practice and hopefully they are seeing improvement with each session.
    But again, the problems are not all on the QB. Many have pointed out those issues also.

Was thinking back to the late 90's when the Steelers had 2 really dismal season under Bill Cowher and GM Tom Donahue. (Wow, now there was a power struggle which at times I thought would end with fist fights)
    I despised Kordell Stewart as a QB, but liked him as 'slash' (he should have remained as such)
    Once Donahue left (I sided with Cowher) the team started looking better with Colbert and Cowher working much better together.
    They also had Mularky, Wisenhut and Grimm on the staffs (though I forget who came when, too lazy to go look it up)

What I am alluding to is that coaching has to be on the same page as the GM. I don't think they are currently.
    I see Canada's designed plays on the field, but the vision is muddled because of Mitch not being able to push the boundaries.
    I also wonder about Austin, as he is not getting the most out of defense and they are not able to generate any sort of pass rush nor stop the run effectively.
    They are on the field way too much a lot of that the offense is directly responsible for, avg just over 2min/drive, and 3rd down conversions are abysmal.

There are just too many pieces not falling into place for me to point to one and definitively so 'that's the problem.'
    It is a collective mess at the moment. A win would be nice, but I don't think it will fix what ails this franchise.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 4
  15. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    I maybe pulling this out of me arse BUT for some reason I think tomlins with % after either a bye week or the 10 day rest stinks..

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That wasn't 2005. The Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2005. That was the year they beat the Bengals, Colts, and Broncos on the road to get to the Super Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    That was 2004 then Bens rookie year. Believe we went 15-1? Our first playoff game was versus the Jets at home and I believe their kicker missed two chip shots or we would have lost. The following week vs NE in the AFC championship well shockingly we got embarrassed by BB and TB at home.

18. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Yes, it was the 2004 season, but that game against the Jets had more to do with Roethlisberger seeming to hit a rookie wall than anything special their opponents did.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Woops 2007

20. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Yeah 10-6 Steelers team lost to the 4-12 jets in OT

• Like Like x 1
  21. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    This season sure seems to be following last season exactly. Win the first game of the season that nobody thought they would win and then crap...

22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Because 10 years later nothing has changed. Flacco’s
    Skills haven’t diminished whatsoever and the players on our team are exactly the same.

in his career he threw for 300 or more yards 3 times against us. Career average of 61% completion 231 ypg. So tell us about Flacco torching us again

23. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I thought the same thing at first, but then I also think our defense does have the ability to confuse inexperienced qb's, and especially a guy who has to he doubting himself a bit given his record so far. I do expect at least one interception, but having Minkah would be huge.

My confidence level is high enough to have put a few bucks on Steelers to win, but not enough to lay the 3.5 points, so I bet the moneyline. I usually stay away from Steelers games, but figured this might be my last chance to take them this year

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Never bet on the team You Love. Bad business. :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 1
  25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    What was the year that we lost to the jets ... with Mike Vick as the jets qb?!