1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says "definitly no" to starting pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Shut him down, shut everyone down.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    This is part of why people need to stop trying to put all the blame for the second half on Trubisky. The three-and-out after the Browns took the lead was the real killer and it wasn't Trubisky's fault. He ran for six yards to give them a manageable third down, then threw an excellent pass under pressure right onto Johnson's hands. Johnson needs to catch that ball. In no way was that drive the quarterback's fault.

It also wasn't his fault Okorafor got caught too far down field on the shovel pass. It wasn't his fault Garrett ran right through Moore, disrupting his throw to Johnson that came up short. It wasn't his fault the linebacker ran right through Harris to sack him on the following play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    We stink, everyone stinks.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  4. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I do not watch Pitt football or any other Pitt sport. The only football I’ve ever seen Kenny Pickett play is in our 3 preseason games and the replay of his fake slide in a bowl game last year. I have to be objective and go by what I saw in parts of 3 preseason games. While That performance was good it was also largely against nobodies playing vanilla defenses. Despite what some of y’all say Tomlin is not stupid. He’s not intentionally holding Kenny back. When they think he’s ready and the better option he will play.

5. Ray Hall

Ray Hall New Member

Sep 23, 2022
    I’m gonna be to guru for you right now. Just kidding. I’m bellyache just like you. And I agree I would be jumping for joy if he put Mason Rudolph in not can you pick it. This is what Coach Tomlin did before that press conference, call Mr. Roni if not, if Mr. Rooney was not in the building, and he said to him if not, he’s if not earlier that day, whether we win or lose, I am not gonna take me to Jubinsky out, this team, imagine Tomlin getting all the coaches in the front row all the players in the back behind them and saying to them imagine if you were a championship bicycle rider imagine you lost all your sponsors you couldn’t get another bike the running Olympics can you found this broken up bike in the junkyard? The brakes were not good. The handlebars were twisted. The frame was bent. Spokes were twisted. The tires were flat. Nothing about this bike was any good even up with all your championship experience , there’s no way you’re gonna win the race with this bike so in essence, what time are you saying I don’t give a damn how many games you lose as a unit as long as you learn how to win together as a team when you start winning together as a team Then we’re on the right track. Yeah we might not have a winning season this year. Yeah, I will have great draft picks sure but until you learn how to win together, it makes no sense whatsoever for me to put in Rudolph or Pickett, till she learn how to win together and I’ll give a damn about all your bellyaching. I don’t give a damn what the process .

• Like Like x 1
  6. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That should have been 18 million, but whatever

7. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    It doesn't really help your argument to admit that you haven't really seen Pickett play.

People are overrating what he did in the preseason, but he certainly took advantage of the time he got and did everything they asked of him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Ray Hall

Ray Hall New Member

Sep 23, 2022
  9. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    You’ve got a lot more confidence in Tomlin than I do to appropriately nurture the career of our number one draft pick and next franchise quarterback.

• Like Like x 1
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    And he did that playing against umass, Duke,ga tech,bc… not exactly the stiffest competition

11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    That’s the thing. We don’t know if he’s the next franchise qb. Y’all are crowing him as such when it’s just as likely he falls flat on his face. The number of first round draft pick quarterbacks that fail is significantly higher than the number that succeeds. Statistically it’s probably more likely that he fails.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Many of the top quarterbacks in the NFL played their college ball against similar or lesser competition, but that wasn't my point. He didn't just do okay. He dominated.

Also, it was misleading for you to list a bunch of teams, but leave out the four best programs he faced during his final season at Pitt.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's My thoughts....if they are even close....You go with the Young Guy.
    I don't think anyone is saying it will all be fixed by KP, or anyone else, but the Wrs clearly don't like Mitch, or respect Him, and I have never believed in sitting a Guy unless the Guy starting is clearly keeping things afloat.
    I said let Ben last year because I believe He deserved it, and I believe a lot more was wrong, but Ben's not here(thankfully), and this line is better this Year. We don't owe Trubisky anything, but the pay that was decided on in His contract.

14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is true, but do You honestly think Mason, or Kenny would be worse than what Trubisky is giving us????
    Right now He(Trubisky) has 7 Qbs with more tds, and 17 Qbs with more yards, and He's played one more game than any of them.
    That's bad.
    He's on the pace for about 17 Tds, and 6 ints for a whole season....in today's NFL .

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    There’s a pile of speculation there, but whatever. Isn’t it entirely possible Trubisky is outplaying Pickett? That they aren’t close? We don’t watch Pickett everyday while they do.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    He’s the fourth quarterback we’ve drafted in the first round in the last 50 years. He is our franchise quarterback. That’s not saying he’ll be an elite quarterback, that’s yet to be determined. Will he be closer to Terry and Ben or will he have a career like Mark Malone (gosh, I hope not)?

I don’t think Tomlin is stupid, but he does have blind spots and I don’t have any confidence in him when it comes to getting Pickett’s career off on the right footing. Pickett is the best quarterback on the roster, he outperformed Mitch in the preseason and quite honestly, what has Mitch done since he’s been in the league that would compel Tomlin to stubbornly stick with him even though his play is well below the line? He has no reputational capital to draw from. He’s done nothing in the NFL. It’s not like he’s a guy whose had tremendous success and may just be going through a slump. He’s always played this way. He can make a lot of money in this league as a backup which is exactly what he is. It’s time for Tomlin to stop overthinking this thing and put his best quarterback on the field!

• Like Like x 1
  17. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    I get that. However, trubisky isn’t solely to blame for our offensive issues. The line is working out their kinks. The running game finally started to show some life last night. He’s made his fair share of mistakes. Missed open receivers and taken check downs when he didn’t need to do so. I felt mason outplayed Mitch in the preseason and deserved a shot. For whatever reason the Steelers didn’t. But again they see those guys every day while we catch glimpses for a few hours one day a week. I guess technically we see glimpses for about 11-12 minutes one day a week. For all we know mason might be absolutely hated in the locker room. The vast majority of us have absolutely no idea what happens behind the scenes. I was lucky for bit and had a very small window a few years back, but even then I never heard everything. As we all should know there are two sides to every story.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

He outplayed him against nobodies. He outplayed him against people currently bagging groceries and carrying luggage in hotels. We got a glimpse of Pickett. They see and interact with these guys every day.

19. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Thanks Tomlin.
    QB competition my arse.

20. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Who did Jerry Rice play against in college? Who did Randy Moss play against in college? I could go on. He’s got the tools. But will they make the change and give the kid a shot ‍♂️

21. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    Yeah, the Browns did it with a gap year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  22. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  23. JackAttack 5958

Oct 18, 2011
    Who did Josh Allen play against at Wyoming? For that matter, who did Ben play against at Miami of Ohio?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    does college production guarantee success at the professional level?
    Y’all do realize for every small school success story there are roughly 2,000 failures?

25. Lizard72

Lizard72

Oct 23, 2011
    I'd like to see the rate of failures compared. I'm guessing it varies by position.

Also, where do we draw the line at success story? Is it play for several years as a solid starter or is it become a superstar?