1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Tomlin says "definitly no" to starting pickett

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Sep 23, 2022.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    we won't touch another QB for 4-5 years.

• Like Like x 1
  2. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Cleveland lost two starting LBs… the OC still didn’t throw at their backups.. probably never even noticed

• Like Like x 2
  3. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  4. Brandon556211

Brandon556211 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2018
    Mitch is on pace for the lowest yards per attempt in like 2 plus decades

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    I don't think I've ever seen a team take back to back first round QB

6. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Pickett Pickens
    Ten ten years from now we will still be mixing them
    Probably get worse when Picket is throwing to Pickens

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012

Thinking the same,

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That's what I think. Unless they really blow. Then i could see 3

10. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That was horrible

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    We’ve seen Pickett for less than a half of football in the preseason no less. Playing against 2nd,3rd, and no string players. Not to mention vanilla defenses. Did it ever dawn on y’all that he really might not be ready? Starting him before he’s ready might actually ruin him?

yes, I know but, but, but Ben

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    They were even worse than the statistics. Their first drive ended on a third-and-long. Brissett had plenty of time and an open receiver, but missed on the throw. Two second-half drives ended not with great defensive plays, but with drops by Cooper. One was the fourth down play that was actually well defended. The other, Cooper was wide open, but Brissett threw a fastball that his receiver couldn't handle.

13. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    To be fair, I really don't think a rough year would ruin Pickett. He had rough years at Pitt. I think he's got enough swagger handle struggling a little, but I do get your point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    This is definitely not good for my health. I wish Tomlin would consider this when making these crucial decisions. At this point if they started Rudolph I would be ecstatic.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I don’t follow Pitt so i know nothing about his rough years.However, there’s a significant difference between college and pro football. He will be playing against defenses where every player on the field is as good or better than the best player he faced every week in college.

• Like Like x 1
  16. biggbunch68

biggbunch68

Apr 26, 2012
    Tomlin will lose the locker room this season, if some changes arnt made. Every game DJ is throwing his arms up in frustration Pickens also, Its only week 3 and 3 WR's and a QB has made a comment to the media abt Canadas offense ..If you think it was bad in the Locker room when AB was here, ... Who wouldn't wana be a fly on the wall this season ??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Steel Acorn

Steel Acorn Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2011
    It is odd. I think talent wise, we have better skill player son offense than defense. Johnson, Muth, Claypool, and Pickens should be eating up defenses. The O-line and RBs in combination are probably average, and the QB play is awful, which hold the offense back. The defense had Watt (when healthy) and Hayward, and Fitzpatrick can be rendered ineffective or he ddisappears, and the rest are mediocre at best. Certainly no shutdown corners or talent that an offense has to avoid. So of the 11 on the field, the offense should be the better unit. But the QB is so crucial, so that ain't happenin'.

So why not roll with Pickens. Maybe stuff is apparent in practice we aren't aware of. Could he be worse?

• Like Like x 2
  18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    WOW So Mitch does throw out of bounds a lot and Kenny Pickett caught them.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
  19. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    This I agree with.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    That's not true at all. Here is but a partial list of QBs who played substantial time their rookie seasons:

Payton Manning
    Eli Manning
    Troy Aikman
    Big Ben
    Dan Marino
    Jim Kelly
    Carson Palmer
    Dak Prescott
    Joe Burrow
    Josh Allen
    Justin Herbert

In fact, my unscientific estimate would say more high draft choices played 10+ games their rookie year than those who did not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    At one point in the 3rd Quarter last night I could have sworn I seen Rooney talking to Tomlin on the sideline. I thought for sure he was down there saying to put Pickett in. Must not have been him though because no one else mentioned it.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That is a physical issue. I'm talking about how a player handles adversity. Pickett has shown he can handle it and learn from it. I'm not sure if he will pan out as a franchise quarterback, but I think he can handle playing poorly in a few games as a rookie. The benefits of him gaining experience outweigh the minimal risk of him losing confidence.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    That usually is not the Steelers style, but maybe their changing after 50 years?

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I swore I saw a Dan Rooney look alike same time you said though I have no clue what the guy was saying and OBVIOUSLY it couldn't have been him.

25. steelpens

steelpens Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2019
    To my fellow fans who are ragging on the defense:
    The defense has played well enough in all 3 games to win, the offense hasn't. This isn't the '70s, or even the '08 season... the defense doesn't win games consistently anymore. You all really thought we could win scoring 3 points in the second half and several 3-and-outs? The defense is gassed my friends, they're on the field an average of almost 80 plays a game. Canada is here to stay all year unfortunately, so change the qb, or lose to the Jets

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1