1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

It’s not just ONE guy!!

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TWISTER, Sep 22, 2022.

1. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    People want to place blame on Mitch, place blame on Canada, Place blame on Tomlin.

Sorry to bust your bubble, but our team has way more problems to be fixed other then putting Kenny in, firing Canada, firing Tomlin.

we have drops, we have bad plays, we can’t stop the run, Witherspoon can’t cover. Harvin can’t punt. We have no pash rush….the list goes on and on.

We start seeing positivity from the offense the first half when we go hurry up, but everytime we score our defense let’s them score the very next series.

I am usually ALWAYS optimistic, but it’s getting very hard to keep that optimism up. We can’t even beat the weaker teams. I really thought we would finally dominate the game tonight and I was way wrong.

On a positive note, I do believe our line showed improvement tonight, especially the first half, why we didn’t stick to what was working is beyond me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I agree that the line looked better. The lone bright spot.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  3. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    That was my take away from tonight too. The blame game is pointless, because this team has issues all over the place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    True it wasn't just 1 guy, but the most important guy inspires No One. He is so limited and I guarantee you his teammates see it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    Trubisky was a joke. Canada is horrible and Tomlin is on his usual same lallygaggin path.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. groutbrook

groutbrook

Oct 23, 2016
    It's systemic. I said it when AB live streamed the locker room and I've said it ever since because nothing has changed.
    It's bad all over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. OH Steeler Fan

Sep 14, 2019
    My cousin was a diehard Bears fan, and he just hated Tribisky. He said he just doesn't have It, and will not make big plays because he doesn't trust his deep throws.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011

So let’s bench Trubisky, fire Canada and Tomlin and see if we can go Undefeated the rest of the season and win the Super Bowl. Yes those 3 are part of the losses, but there are many many more also to be held accountable.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011

I must ask you this then, why is he making big plays when we are playing fast tempo?

If you ask me you should play to your strengths and if that’s playing fast tempo all game, then play fast tempo all game.

10. Steel the Win on Sunday

Steel the Win on Sunday Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Yet we had to lead at halftime and were getting the ball. Wore out in the second half.

11. OH Steeler Fan

Sep 14, 2019
    And when have we ever played a whole game fast tempo.....I'll answer for you...NEVER.
    If Tribisky can't stay in the pocket like a normal qb we will see the same every week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. SteelReal

SteelReal Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2020
    They can move away from traditional Steeler ball to help facilitate the success of the QB I just think with Trubisky it's still a lost cause because he doesnt throw a good deep ball and is hell of inconsistent on his throws.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011

Have you not noticed the last 3 years or so, ever time we go fast tempo we score? Go fast tempo and hope defense can get some stops and get a comfortable lead and then you slow the tempo down.

Is this the answer, heck I’m not sure, but I’m going by what I see. Trubisky hasn’t played his best, but he wasn’t the reason we lost tonight, Johnson had 2 key drops, long run by Warren gets called back. He wasn’t to sole reason we was going 3 and outs tonight.

Like my post says, It’s not just ONE guy.

14. OH Steeler Fan

Sep 14, 2019
    True, but they want do that for a whole game, and Tribisky only look comfortable rolling out, which limits throwing options.

15. SDOT

SDOT Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Correct but how did it get this way? Years of Tomlin having a say. Now the very last winners are gone… Ben and Colbert. Going to turn into a true **** show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DIzzyG3015

DIzzyG3015 Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2022
    really liked the offense first half. Awful second half and back to horseshiat. Defense soft all game, no pressure at the line, no pressure on the quarterback. some failures on both sides of the football, all in all another awful game

17. TRUCK

TRUCK Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2016
    A franchise QB can paper over a lot of issues. Ben took a 6-10 team with a line that couldn't hold a block and turned them into 15-1 after a 1-1 start with the other guy. I'm not saying Kenny will be anything like Ben who was a unique animal. However, a lot of problems get fixed with a good QB:

Move the chains
    Offense gets into a rhythm
    Complete longer passes to back the defense off the LOS - Receivers are getting open even with the lousy play calling but Mitch rarely connects with them.
    Running game now finds some room to run
    TOP starts to favor the Steelers
    Defense isn't worn out by taking a league high number of snaps game after game

Maybe this team won't make the playoffs with either QB. But at least we get our future some experience in a year that won't matter if Mitch remains starter.

• Winner Winner x 2
  18. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Can we give Meyer a pay raise ASAP? The difference between this line and week 2 of the preseason is night and day. This unit is the lone bright spot on the team right now.

DJ drops. It's one thing to drop a pass on a random first down and it's another to drop on big 3rd downs with the game on the line. I realize many will disagree with me here, but drops with the game on the line line is what separates great players from really good ones. He didn't cost us the game, but he's not helping either.

Edmunds played well the first two weeks, this week he reverted back to his old self. He gave up two TDs and missed several tackles.

All 3 of our corners played ok at best. Which truthfully isn't good enough. Not sure if it's scheme or what, but this unit gave up far too many 3rd down conversations. Our secondary, besides Fitz, is my biggest concern moving forward. We have to get off the field on 3rd down and failed to.

Pass rush was ehhhh. I think the Browns did a great job getting the ball outta Brissets hands quickly. Rush defense... Zero physicality to stop their run. Tonight wasn't a kinda night I'd praise the D. Just soft and uninspired football from them.

As for Mitch... if we're going to rock a game manager, then we might as well put Mason in. I've really seen enough. Mitch isn't the problem, but he's not the answer. If we're not going to play Kenny, then we should just put in Mason.

After all the criticism all week, this offense really sucked in the 2nd half. And that falls on Tomlin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Anybody who acts surprised has been lying to themself. This team has a lot of problems.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Steelers '08

Steelers '08 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2016
    I thought we’d lose tonight the Browns are a good team now with Chubb and Hunt. Plus Cooper is playing well for them. Shows how bad Mayfield is. That said we’re a ways off and I think Canada NEEDS to go now.

21. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    This game was lost due to a sequence of events in the 3rd quarter where Mitch was not the problem:

1. We take the 2nd half kickoff and drive 12 plays, reaching the Cleveland 41. Then we get the following play sequence: completion to Harris for -4 yards (that one is somewhat on Mitch); the ineligible downfield penalty on Chuks on a shovel pass to Warren that would have taken us deep into Browns’ territory; finally the mess of a play on 3rd and 5 where Claypool had to run through a defender to get to his spot and was called for OPI (the pass fell incomplete anyway because the defender running through obstructed the route).

2. Our defense that should have been well rested then surrenders a 15 play, 7 minute field goal drive.

3. Our offense goes 3 and out with an excellent 3rd down deep pass by Trubisky in the face of pressure that DJ flat out dropped. After that the Browns went on another 7 minute drive, this time ending with the dagger TD.

Really, up until this point in the game Trubisky had been playing solid ball, especially when plays were called to get him out of the pocket where he’s most comfortable. Even from inside the pocket he threw a perfect deep ball to DJ that could have significantly shifted momentum. The problem is what he didn’t do, and that’s lead the 4th quarter comeback. I’m not sure it would have mattered because the Browns’ offense was having its way with our defense, but Mitch really faltered once we were down 23-14.

I’m all for trying Pickett at this point because the line seems to be solidifying. However I can’t look at what happened last night and say that a QB switch would have made the winning difference. There were plenty of other problems.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  22. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I’ll add another thing. I think that the #1 reason we lost was not being able to stop the pass, especially on passing downs like 2nd and long and 3rd down. The Browns may have the best rushing attack in football. They’re going to be productive in the run game vs. any team that doesn’t have a strong run defense. They key is that when you get them off schedule by making a play or two in run defense, you have to close the deal and shut down the passing game. That didn’t happen. In fact, the pass defense on passing downs was pretty much disastrous after the 1st quarter.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    There is no consistency in all 3 phases. Include the coaching staff. Issues all over the place.

As mentioned the whipping boys, the offensive line are starting to jell a bit. The lone bright spot as mentioned. Turn the attention to the D Line.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. TWISTER

Oct 23, 2011

But you can’t expect to replace one franchise qb with another one the very next year unless you have one already on the roster behind the previous franchise qb.

ecample: Montana/Young, Favre/Rodgers

We didn’t have one after Bradshaw and took us how many years to get another one?

We all know that when we signed Mitch he was not gonna be out next franchise qb, he is simply a fill in til we find our next one, we all assume that we bench Mitch and put Kenny in he is automatically gonna put up the wins like Ben did his first season. And yes I kinda think that way too, but then reality sets in.

as of right now we do it have all the tools to make any qb successful, yes we have the skill players, however we have no consistency, we have receivers disappointed they aren’t getting the ball, but when we do get them the ball in key moments they drop it.

imagine this locker room talk.
    Johnson: Get me the ball Mitch
    Mitch: I got you the ball Johnson and you dropped it twice.

we have no chemistry and we have no consistency.

I say this: We got 99 problems and a Mitch is one of them….

25. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Mitch, not only, effect the offense, but the defense, as well.The defense, played well, until the poor execution of mitch, reared its ugly head. When, you have to tackle the likes of chubbs and hunt, with little rest. You will get worn down as well. And Muth, must have been, blocking all night. Because, he wasn't targeted until the 4th qtr

• Disagree Disagree x 1