1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

When will we see Kenny Pickett as starting quarterback?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by JackAttack 5958, Sep 17, 2022.

1. By game 4

16 vote(s)
    24.6%
  2. Games 5-8

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Games 9-12

5 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Last quarter of the season (games 13-17)

2 vote(s)
    3.1%
  5. We won’t, he’ll hold the clipboard for Mitch all season

21 vote(s)
    32.3%
  1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I guess you forgot about the end of the season struggles on offense in 2020, they lost to the three win Bengals and their third string QB on MNF, Ben was terrible that game. And I'm not a Ben hater.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    After the injury in 2020 he didn’t look like the same player (other than for one half vs. Indy).

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Another losing season? Tomlin has never had a losing season and he’s been the coach for 15 years.

4. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    I'm hoping by the Bills game since I'm going. If the Steelers start Trubisky and are still without Watt they may end up putting a solid 50 on the board with all the 3 and outs we'll have. Heck, they may do that any way but Kenny would probably give them a better chance to keep their offense on the bench a lot more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It could be very similar that the game vs Bengals last year when it was 31-3 at haltime and 41-3 after 3 quarter

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012

Don't remind me. I went to that game too.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  7. TWISTER

TWISTER Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Well after watching many replays, watching slo-mo’s I am now on the “Get Kenny in there. I wanted to give Mitch a chance, and I wanted to blame Canada and the Line.

However, Mitch just doesn’t have it, he looks NOTHING like he did during pre-season.

I still don’t like the playcalling, however when you slow it down there is open receivers all over the place.

So put Pickett in and let’s see what he can do, might be the spark we need.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well same player , or not 33 tds, 10ints, and a 12-3 record is pretty dang good. Trubisky wishes his best year was this.

• Like Like x 1
  9. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What does that have 2 do with the whole season.
    Like I said Tom Brady won the SB that Year....So did everyone else suck.....the way You are saying it .....I guess so. So P Mahomes was done, Allen was done....for sure A. Rodgers was done because like Ben He got beat the 1st game. Give it up....it doesn't fit Your opinion so therefore it's wrong.....I mean from what You're saying they should strip Lamar of His MVP.....He got whooped the 1st game in the playoffs....so He shouldn't have a MVP....right...your words....or do these rules only apply to Ben????:shrug:

10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I do not understand the logic of waiting for the game against the Bills. It seems unwise to throw him in there against a great team on a regular week. Throwing him in there against a weaker opponent (Jets) after the Thursday night game, when there is more time to prepare, would make a hell of a lot more sense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Because you said you think Trubisky is better than Rudolph and not ready to put all the blame on Trubisky.

12. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, nobody respects the Steelers' passing game, especially over the middle, and that is killing the running game. Teams are free to stack the line, focusing on taking away the run and short passing game. It is easier to back off when necessary because they only have to defend the sidelines on deep passes. If Canada is willing to adapt and do more to create openings over the middle, Pickett could help quite a bit because he thrived on those passes last year at Pitt.

That said, there were some holes for Harris to run through Sunday. He missed too many of them.

13. hmmmmm

hmmmmm Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Trubisky all season because Tomlin is a moron. We won’t play Pickett until the owner threatens to fire him.

14. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    He threw almost all those interceptions after the Dallas game. How many TDs after Dallas?

The 2021 Ben is the Ben we saw down the stretch in 2020. What everyone but you apparently was worried he’d play like. We were right to be worried.

15. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Now He thinks He knows what I think. YOU know what's funny.....when I tried saying this stuff last year with a worse oline....You both laughed at Me, but now it's Trubisky, and the line is better, and We have more weapons.....Now.....it's Canada's fault.....even with tape after tape of Guys running wide open. That's what's funny....what's even more funny than that....is You know it's true....so it makes You even madder...so now You are looking for things....when in all reality.....is just easier to say Your wrong......it's not hard a lot of us do it all the time. I've been wrong about many things, and will be wrong about many more.

16. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    Is Trubisky worse so far this regular season than I expected? Yes. However, he’s also not being used the way that I expected he would be based on all that I had heard about Canada’s scheme before last season. You just said in another thread that we ran more RPOs last season than this season, so you must see some of what I’m seeing (and not seeing) in the offensive design. More RPOs last year with a statue who could drop back and read the whole field than this year with an athletic and mobile QB who probably needs more half-field reads. Does that make any sense? Hell, we probably had more designed half rolls with Ben last year than with Mitch. I’ve never touted Mitch as any kind of special QB talent. I touted him as capable bridge QB in the type of situation that I expected him to be in under Canada. Why bring him in for this type of scheme and play calling? It’s not a good match.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Mitch will play that game. They will feel like they have an edge!
    That game is gonna be ugly.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Because Mitch is not what most thought He was. Including (as it seems) our Coaches. Apparently they thought He was better.....don't ask Me how.....because I watch Chicago, and I didn't see it.
    Here ......My friend....a simple question....How in the hell did You think a Qb with His best year ever....I mean ever...which almost exactly equals Ben's last year after He was old ,and finished .....was going to make us better????:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Interesting considering how many people on this board say he will never say anything critical of the team

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    That's how bad it is. LoL

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Your premise is flawed, as usual. Trubisky had a higher touchdown percentage and a much higher average per attempt in 2018 than Roethlisberger had last year. He was also a threat to run, which Roethlisberger was not. He did have a higher interception percentage, but 2018 Trubisky was better than 2021 Roethlisberger.

That said, I'm not sure I expected an upgrade over Roethlisberger at the end. I just expected him to be better than Rudolph, which was and is fair.

22. Steel_Elvis

Nov 4, 2011
    First of all, you like to talk about Ben’s 2020 stats, so let’s take a look at 2020 for both Ben and Mitch. This will leave out Mitch’s best year (2018) and Ben’s bad 2021 season:
    Yards per attempt: Ben 6.3, Mitch 6.9
    TD %: Ben 5.4%, Mitch 5.4%
    Passer Rating: Ben 94.1, Mitch 93.5

You like to mention Ben’s 33 TDs in 2020, but the reality is that he and Mitch threw for TDs on the same % of throws. Mitch also added 195 yards rushing (5.9 yards per rush). Mitch did have a higher interception %, but not a crazy number. Mitch had less talent around him in 2020 than Ben did by far. 2020 was Mitch’s last year in Chicago, and his numbers were actually very close to Ben’s 2020 numbers when you consider volume. Again, this is 2020 for both QBs. The year when Ben went 12-3 and Mitch was run out of town. Yet statistically they did about the same per pass attempt. I’m not saying that Mitch played as well as Ben did (pre injury) in 2020. Ben most certainly played better, but the numbers aren’t as far off as you may think when you consider the high volume of passes that Ben threw to get those 33 TDs.

Comparing Ben last year to Trubisky’s 2018 season isn’t even close:
    Yards per attempt: Ben 6.2, Mitch 7.4
    TD %: Ben 3.6%, Mitch 5.5%
    Passer rating: Ben 86.8, Mitch 95.6
    The list goes on. You’re argument that Mitch’s best year and Ben’s 2021 were around the same is way off the mark.

You ask why someone would think Trubisky would make us better. Well, better than what exactly? Better than having an even older Ben return? Better than Rudolph? Better than the other free agents or trades that were available? The answer to all of those is yes. A HOF QB in his prime wasn’t available to us without paying a dumb price (Wilson). The rest of the free agent class wasn’t good. We could have traded for Wentz or Ryan… oh boy!

Of the guys available in March, Trubisky looked like the best option, especially with all of the noise about us wanting a mobile QB to run Canada’s offense. Remember Tomlin talking about QB mobility? I didn’t think he was referring to “mobile” as only being able to run from the pocket when the protection collapses. My expectation was that we would use Mitch’s mobility a lot more than we are.

Mitch is definitely playing below the line right now. No debating that. However, there was reason to think he could be a reasonably productive bridge option for 2022 compared to the alternatives available to us IF used in a way that plays to his strengths, and our supposed desire to get a mobile QB indicated that was the plan. Nobody knows how productive Mitch would be in an offense geared up to take advantage of his mobility because we’re just not doing it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Not only is this the Brown's Superbowl (Steeler Week),
    this is also a homecoming game for Mitch who grew up about 25 miles East of Cleveland.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  24. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Roethlisberger, for all his flaws, rose to such occasions. Trubisky has not done that to this point in his career. He has to know there is at least a chance this is his last start. If the Steelers go to Pickett I don't think they are going back unless there is an injury.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I have this feeling we might see Mason before KP

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1