1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Where is Pickens?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by bleednblackngold, Sep 18, 2022.

1. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    I know it's only 2 games in, but so far my biggest disappointment on offense is Pickens. Guy has done absolutely nothing

2. Benny Lava

Benny Lava Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2019
    I guess he's not good at running 2 yard routes which make up 80% of the playbook.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018

Dude was open all game. But I guess you didn’t watch it. He was not targeted all game.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. OX1947

OX1947 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2017
    You have to have a quarterback who doesn't check down 9/10 times on passing plays.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. Fe3CCity

Fe3CCity Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2012
    Yeah shots aren't being taken and thats probably what they have him running.

6. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    How many times has he been open and Mitch has missed him or decided to check it down? Maybe you all 22 guys can help with this.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. ljkjr74

ljkjr74 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2015
    Yeh good thread. I remember before the season started I heard Pickett to Pickens. We haven’t seen any of that yet. What the hell are we waiting for? Oh let me guess game 6 I forgot.

• Like Like x 1
  8. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    The problem is two fold. To begin with and, just like last season, for whatever reason... Matt Canada does not like going over the Deep MOF. Why this is?!... I have zero clue; doubly so given how dangerous the likes of both Pickens and Freiermuth can be in that area... and that is not accounting for Diontae Johnson either. The other problem currently is Mitch Trubisky himself. He either sees it too late (as shown today via the INT) or does not see players open downfield at all. Never mind the complete lack of field reading by him, that is just a very, very conservative approach and one that is simply not going to win games.

Mitch must read the field better and process info. faster. Canada NEEDS to attack the MOF; particularly in the deep. For that matter, Grant Delpit got ABSUED by the Browns today as did the entire Cleveland Browns Secondary. Considering the team plays Cleveland come this Thursday... I seriously hope that Canada can do that. If not, chalk it up another loss for this Defense is already showing signs of fatigue.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  9. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I think you’re mixing up AFC N secondarys that we’re abused. The Browns were abused by Flacco. Yeah Flacco.

10. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Ah. I see. Thanks!!:)

Had a bit too much Woodward Reserve Double Oak!! :drinks:

Quite good if you ask me.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

Baltimore's secondary I will happily admit I overrated much... very much; doubly so in Kyle Hamilton's case though he is not being used right in all honesty. Mike Macdonald keeps using Kyle as if he is Daxton Hill; a slot capable Single High Safety. That is simply not something Kyle excels at. Kyle is best used as an eraser against TE's, as a part of a two deep shell or being the 8th man in the box. He is not to be used for pure slot based duties unless he is to pass rush.

If anything else, from what I have seen... Kyle Hamilton may have to opt for the Isaiah Simmons route (rock solid end of the game by him today btw) and become an Inside Linebacker. Even when he is performing some of those strengths.... Tua roasted him.

12. Beerburgh

Beerburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2022
    You never see him on the TV screen because he doesn't run check down routes, lol.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Beerburgh

Beerburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2022
    Woodford, not Woodward. Woodford is a dry county in Kentucky. But they can make the Bourbon there.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

Apr 21, 2016

[​IMG]

Very much appreciated!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. bleednblackngold

bleednblackngold Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Not sure how you see that watching normal broadcast of game. It might be true for all I know, but TV follows the ball so if they're not throwing to him I have no idea where he is. It's actually why I kind of like the Skycam games they experimented with although I know I'm in the minority there.

16. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Exactly. Lets draft a speedy receiver and then never throw the ball more than a few yards. It's incredibly mind boggling.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    If you can’t hit certain parts of the field it makes it incredibly easy to defend simple as that

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. RipTydz

RipTydz Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2022
    From what I've seen the last 2 games, Trubisky only has an eye for Dionte. Occasionally he will throw to another reciever. When he targets Pickens its either over his head or out of bounds and behind him. How can you not throw it in the vicinity of a 6'3 WR who has long arms/strong hands and caught everything in college and preseason?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelhammer92

Steelhammer92 Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    i was there and watched Pickens get open a few different times. Diontae was too, for that matter, and looked visibly frustrated coming off the field and on the sideline because they weren't even looking his way downfield. this offense is painful to watch. i can only imagine how frustrating it must be for the receivers. Canada has to be on the hot seat because the players on offense are clearly getting frustrated with what's happening. it's hard to run the ball successfully with a weak oline AND having defenses stacked around the LOS because they know the QB won't throw it past 10 yards or over the middle. same **** as past couple years. pass blocking isn't Bengals level bad, no reason why we can't take shots downfield and relieve some pressure around the LOS.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    getting open while turdbisky checks down with a clean pocket. look for yourself. Mitch is scared and isn't going to win us sh*t. I'd rather have Mason in there

• Like Like x 1
  21. OB1

OB1 Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2022
    Tomlin has said, from the very beginning when he became HC, that he wants to keep the games close and win in the 4th. This mentality leads to a super conservative offense. So, if they think the long passes can be intercepted, they will not do them.

This is especially true with a chicken-**** QB who will follow orders to not throw deep. Not like Ben that went deep whenever he felt like it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I can't believe I'm saying this but Rudolph does throw a nice deep pass. He would have hit Pickett a couple of times on deep throws during the first two games. On the other hand he might have thrown a killer pick or lost a critical fumble along the way too.

• Agree Agree x 3
  23. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    He’s standing around wide open while trubisky checks it down

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. 86WardsWay

86WardsWay Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2012
    It's a complete lack of coaching. Matt Canada is horrible but we will ride him all the way through the season. MT will continue to throw out cliches and look like a lost puppy on the sidelines. When they win he will get jiggy with all the players. When they lose he will dance around all questions while sounding very elegant doing so. I'm quite sick of the Standard being the Standard each and every season. There are glaring weaknesses on this team offensively but don't expect anything to change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    He can't throw the ball to himself, there was more than a few plays where he appeared to be open, but Trubisky threw check downs instead :facepalm:.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1