1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Why can’t we have an NFL offense???!!??

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Boot55, Sep 13, 2022.

1. Boot55

Boot55 Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Over the past two years the offense has been atrocious. It has become baffling to me that Coach T signed off on this trash style of play calling. Honestly, sometimes I feel like I’m watching a high school football game. All the Jet sweeps; the 5 yard passing plays that go nowhere, it’s horrible.

There is no aggression in the play calling, nor are we ever in attack mode. When simple try to trick you all the way down the field.

Watching the Seahawks / Denver game last night, they had some great play calling. The way the that Denver uses Russ is awesome. They are moving him around in the pocket, rolling him out, bootlegs.. sprint outs..

I know Mitch is not Russ but they are kind of the same in mobility aspect of the game.

Our offense needs these types of plays added to the game plan. These types of throws are high percentage plays and they help keep the offense moving.

Im just not seeing what MT sees in good ol Matt …However, I’m ready to say bye bye…

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Blitz

Blitz Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2016
    I think we all want to see Kenny. I think Mitch showed us why we would prefer to see Kenny. When we do see Kenny start we can finally go back to critiquing the peripheral factors because I think by a majority, he will be "Our guy" out there, each Sunday, good or bad. I like Mitch ok, but he's another franchises dude we're trying to make work here. We want to see our guy. When Kenny is out there failing, with his upward potential, rather than Mitch whom we are projecting a false ceiling on, we can better look at the periperals, IMO

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  3. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Agree, we are not going anywhere with Mitch.
    I hope Kenny is starting by week 10 against the Saints.
    I think we need to start 4-0 because the schedule gets really hard after that at Buffalo, Tampa Bay, at Miami, and at Philadelphia .

4. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    The narrative last season was that Ben was holding back the offense run by Matt Canada. Once Ben retired then we would see the brilliance of Canada's offense unleashed on the NFL. Well with Ben gone the offense still sucks. Maybe it isn't the QB's after all maybe it's just the OC.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. Madmike77

Madmike77 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2019
    I think no matter who the QB is this year, the offense has to show something or Canada is done. Roethlisberger, Rudolph, Trubisky - the results have been essentially the same. Lots of short completions with very little down the field.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  6. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Actually that wasn’t the narrative. Last years offense was catered to what Ben liked and was capable of doing. Hell before the season even started Canada said this is Ben’s offense. Y’all act like it’s as simple as flipping a light switch and forget that 3/5 of our ol is new, the qb is new, the offense is new, and we are on our 4th ol coach in 3 years.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    I am afraid I am not one of those that wants to see Pickett. i have nothing against any of the QB's. He had his chance in preseason and came in second. I am one who wants to see which QB the coaches believe gives us the best chance to win. Right now, that is not who you want. If they change their minds as we progress into the season further, then I will be supporting that player wholeheartedly. Until then, enough of the get rid of Mitch rant as we've had enough of that with Mason for too long. JMO>

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    Either MT or the Rooneys are loyal to a fault. Look at how long they stuck with bad-mediocre coaches like Joey Porter, Randy Fichner, Danny Smith…

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011

didn't the seahawks win that game and didn't we win the bengals game? who care's if it looks better, we need final results as i'm sure the broncos would prefer. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I agree with what you've posted. However I have no faith that Matt Canada is an NFL level coordinator for an offense. Otherwise I'm in

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I'm with you plus Our motions, jet sweeps, etc all look very clunky.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    There is some truth to picking at Matt Canada's offense.
    His college level accomplishments are mixed, and where he had success, LSU and NC, he was let go from.

Now I'm not sure how many among us are or have been NFL Offensive Coordinators but there is a lot that goes into an NFL offense.

Canada's offense incorporates:
    A mobile QB - Keeps pressure on the defense to stay in rushing lanes, and/or spy the QB. (in short account for the QB)
    Motion - The keep the Defense off balance, and mask run/pass while uncovering what the defense is doing.
    Jet Sweeps - Not really my favorite, I hate gimmick plays, but I admit, when used right does stretch the defense.
    Deep strikes - I really haven't seen yet.
    Audibles - I don't know how much rope they give Mitch.

Just hitting on those few bullet points, now the OL needs to be coached on how to block for his offense.

All that said, I haven't seen any Josh McDaniel/Sean McVay in Canada.
    What I do see is execution isn't at the level it should me.
    I can't say it is 'Trash' until I see the execution there, I could say the coaching is not on the same page.
    I would also note, a lot of the offenses are not clicking as they should and maybe will come Nov.
    I am not sure what the ceiling is on Canada's design and I'm not sure he's the man to get buy-in from those who execute it as he comes off as a bit of @ss.
    So, what I look for is week-to-week improvement. I don't think NE is as good as the Bengals, but you never know. I want to see his offense smooth out some.

• Like Like x 3
  13. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    we have had a lot of moving parts as well. in that i mean coaches and young players. most nfl offenses are not built in a few weeks. we have a new o-line coach, new WR coach, fairly new TE coach. we have a young offensive line, young wr's, young rb's, young TE's, all coached by new coaches to this young offense. one game is not quite enough time for this all to be an nfl high powered offense in one week.:cool:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ytownsteeler

Ytownsteeler Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2015
    I think we will see Kenny P. When Mitch gets hurt which i am guessing with this o-line is any second. They almost got Harris killed and had Mitch running for his life in milliseconds. We now know why Big Ben had a rough year. It was not his fault we could not throw over 2 yard passes, it was the o lines. Canada will be out at end of the year and so will any OC if front office takes low end tier free agents and other teams hand me down lineman and start them for us.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hogan873

hogan873 New Member

Sep 8, 2016
    I don't think it's a QB issue. The play calling is still terrible. Way too many short passes on 3rd and long, mind-numbing passes behind the line of scrimmage, and lack of utilizing the team's biggest weapons. Personally I don't think Trubisky played terribly. He looked good in spots, scrambled well, and drove the team down the field in OT to win the game. He earned another start, in my opinion. Partially due to his play, and partially due to the fact that i don't think we'll see a big difference in play with Pickett as long as the play calling doesn't change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Get better play out of the Oline and QB then our offense will be better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. BURGH43STEL

BURGH43STEL Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Another thing to consider is the Steelers have one of the youngest offenses in the league. Experience playing together matters.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    RE: Kenny Pickett
    I don't think bringing him in is a good idea. I'd prefer that the offense gets stabilized first.
    A good argument could be made that he has operated it quite well, but I would like to be a little cautious and get the other 10 in the huddle more automatous.

I like how Kenny throws the receiver open. Yards after the catch should increase with him.

This offense is based off 'passes' that are basically extended handoffs to get the ball into the hands of the playmakers.
    But I think Kenny sees downfield better.

I'm on the fence with Mitch.
    He moves in the pocket nicely, but he might be overcompensating ball security and checking down.
    The short passes build confidence, but you have to take those shots to keep the Defense guessing.
    Maybe we start seeing some of that.

19. gibson43

gibson43 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2011
    I’ll start by saying I’m not a Canada fan. However, I thought the play calling in the first half was good. Only thing I had issue with was the goal possession where we settled for 3 never giving Mitch a run/pass option play to put pressure on the D.

that said the play calling in the second half was bad.

All of that said, you will have an offense that is as explosive as your line will allow. A lot of the play calling right now is protecting the o-line. We can’t run 5-7 step drops consistently to get receivers downfield without significant risk of negative plays. Sacks, fumbles and ints. We won’t hold up in protection. We can’t run play action because we can’t run block consistently.

As much as I don’t care for Canada, the uninspired playcalling is in part a product of a well below average line. This won’t change till they gel…or next season when we can upgrade the talent.

20. james weyandt

james weyandt Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2021
    yes and when the Steelers decide to go deep its alwaays 3rd and short or so why cant they try deep stuff first down

21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

He also said that he was happy that the offense did not have turnover and few negative play.Maybe Tomlin is handcuffing way too much the offense because the way he spoke, I think he wanted a very conservative game plan for the offense

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

More wisdom from the hof pop Warner coach. Again, if you say it enough maybe it will be true.

23. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

He definitely implied the lack of deep passes was by design. Limiting the chance of turnovers.

• Informative Informative x 1
  24. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The Steelers OCs I was a fan of are Arians, but I understand why the brass "retired him," Mularkey, Gailey, Tom Moore, and Bradshaw, when he called his own plays. Haley did a nice job of keeping Ben upright, but he brought in the WR screens, which I am not a fan, and is red zone offenses were inconsistent for the talent they had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Canada cannot be worse then Ray Sherman, Kevin Gilbride, or Fitchner.