1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on QB and Run Game

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by StrongasSteel, Sep 12, 2022.

1. StrongasSteel

StrongasSteel Member

Jan 8, 2017
    We would have lost with Ben at QB--definitely--he was immobile. We would probably struggle with Brady at QB. The line is the issue. Our run game is crap, playcalling is crap. If we give Harris and the run game a pass because of the line, we need to give Mitch a pass until the line is improved. I don't hear people chanting for Najee's backup to come in and save the day---because we know the line is horrible. If Warren does really well (if Najee is out for some time), then maybe it's Najee.

Stats from Ben's game vs. Bengals last fall (Nov. 28) v. Mitch's from yesterday:

C/ATT YDS TD INT SACKS QBR
    B. Roethlisberger 24/41 263 1 2 3-13 31.8
    M. Trubisky 21/38 194 1 0 1-2 48.0

Plus Ben fumbled twice, lost one.

We had 51 yard rushing last fall, 75 yesterday.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Trib is an experienced QB.

He seemed pretty clueless on ball protection carrying it off his body on one scramble.

Not sure how the Defender missed it, unless he was thinking he could take the ball like a handoff.

Oline has to come together quickly, or no QB is going to survive.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Tweezer

Tweezer Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2020
    Too small of a sample size for this to be 100% accurate, but I don't think Mitch anticipates well or is scared to make a mistake. Kenny is mobile enough and can throw people open. This will improve the run game and the overall offensive performance. Warren (love his blocking) and Snell are good enough in short relief if required for Najee.

4. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    warren missed protection once for sure. big whiff, i believe on the sack. we used watt and TE's to help a good bit as well. they said something to the affect of tomlin would wait for about 4 weeks to see what this line does and then re-evaluate them at that point. i said early this preseason that we are young on offense and we may be winning ugly early on. not just the o-line gelling but the whole offense. it was a gutsy, lucky win but we are now depleted on that defense. that won't help. :cool:

5. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Couldn't agree more with what you said.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  6. jrompola

jrompola Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2015
    I noticed this in the preseason about KP. He anticipated more and threw people open more. I did not watch Trib's career in Chicago, so wondering if he's scared to make mistakes, so he doesn't take as many chances because the coaches never wanted him.

What is wrong with the middle of the field? Why do we avoid attacking the middle?

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Game one. Win. Trubisky with zero takeaways. The bungles covered well.

The Offensive line cannot run block. They have trouble pass blocking. When there was time the receivers couldn't get separation. Maybe make some adjustments Canada. And stupid calls on 1st down trying to run it time after time. Maybe some play action on 1st down.

Calling for Pickett after the first game is laughable.

We just went against the Super Bowl representative for the AFC. Tough gritty effort producing a win.

Can Mitch play better? Of course. But so can the offense as a whole. That includes O' Canada.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Tweezer

Dec 9, 2020
    Right? No clue. Kenny found Pat right up the gut!

9. steel_ben7

steel_ben7 Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada has to use Trubisky’s legs and mobility more moving forward. He didn’t do it enough yesterday especially down near the goaline. Trubisky can scramble and run take advantage of that and use it more. With that being said, Trubisky I agree still has to be better and make more plays throwing the ball. If we see a performance like we did yesterday the next 2-3 games assuming Trubisky is in there and he isn’t showing any improvement then I think at that point you start considering going to Pickett. Tomlin isn’t gonna bench Mitch just yet though especially after winning in Cincy yesterday and playing Bill Belichick in this next game. It just isn’t gonna happen not yet anyway.

10. Tweezer

Dec 9, 2020
    Agree 100%. Mitch gets Pats and then short week for Cleveland. Decision needs to be made after those two games. You have a mini-bye leading up to Jets in Pitt, but then you have Bills, Bucs, Dolphins, Eagles. Would rather Kenny get his feet wet at home against Jets prior to that gauntlet.

11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    have to be able to run the ball effectively for play action to be effective

12. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When your in a run formation and the defense and everyone in the free world knows your going to run so they stack the box, play action.

Yes they looked horrible in run blocking. But the predictable play calling on 1st down was nauseating.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    So I guess not many even consider Mason over Trub. I really don't see Trub being any better then Mason. Mason been in the system a lot longer while Trub sat on a bench in 2021.

Who knows, maybe Trub lights it up next week but I do agree if he doesn't we need to make a change.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    Trub is basically mason that can run. Only difference is mason has a better deep ball

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Cute kid in your picture!

• Like Like x 1
  16. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Aw thank you so much. That is my two year old granddaughter and she is the light of my life.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I think Mitch did fine for week 1

I think the Ben stuff is silly. I know people like to think he was the problem, but he drug that bad team in his back into the playoffs.

Ben had K Green as his starting C. One year later Green was not even active

Different year different team

HACK

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. defva

defva Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Whatever happened to putting the best players on the field?!
    Big Ben's magical rookie season and superbowl run .. probably would've missed its window. If not for injuries.
    Now, I'm in no way, saying that Pickett will have the same fairy tale rookie season as Ben. But, I will say, that this same offense, look a whole lot better with Pickett under center. And, let's be honest, Pickett, could've put up those same mediocre stats ... as Mich did. Why are we delaying the inevitable. I don't even want to mention ... that TJ and Najee, would've escaped injuries. Because, the game would've been over.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    This offense has performed almost exactly the same under Ben, Mason when he's had to play, and now Mitch. Matt Canada's scheme is bad and it's figured out. Teams just crowd the line of scrimmage and Matt Canada does nothing to adjust or exploit that. It's the same thing over and over and over again. Mitch had the time to throw yesterday. It's the NFL, you're not gonna have all day to throw.. but he had the time. They got tons of short fields and could not capitalize. The route concepts are bad. This offense is not friendly for any position. It's shockingly bad. Canada won 5 games as a head coach in college and bounced around as a coordinator either getting fired or leaving after a year. . He's just not an NFL (or college) OC. His resume did not warrant him an NFL OC job really didn't warrant him any of the college jobs he landed.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. SteelHack

SteelHack Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    The Pickett would have done better if conjecture.

We also thought Pickens would smoke their 2nd or 3rd DBs. Our steal of the draft caught 1 for 3 yards.

We have no idea how the game would have went with Kenny seeing his first real game.. maybe he throws 5 TDs or maybe 5 INTs like Burrow did..... remember all the Qbs looked good in the preseason

what I do know is Mitch went 1TD and 0 int and with this defense playing like they did.. mistake free is important

HACK

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    We also didn't have 7 sacks, 4 ints, a fumble, a pick 6 , and a blocked field goal.
    We didn't get 4 ints until about week 10 last year . We got 4 in one game this year. Are You related to Trubisky.....or just Der de Der.
    Give Me one game our Defense did what they did yesterday and Ben only had one Td.
    I will wait ........

22. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    So... to recap...

1.) New Offensive Line Coach

2.) An Offensive Coordinator going into his second (yes, second) official season of NFL Play Calling and his third overall in terms of NFL Experience.

3.) An Offensive Line that has been changed in back to back seasons.

4.) A QB who still has trouble with footwork and decision making.

As stated by many (myself included) and will again; expect growing pains. For some of these pains, it will have to sadly get worse before they get better. For others though?!... others are on borrowed time.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    Mitch doesnt have hands, he has vice grips

• Like Like x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    This is exactly what I said during preseason. They are both backups, and what one sucks at the other is good at....So what are The Steelers trying 2 prove... that We for sure have 2 good backups, and maybe a Great starter???
    We know what two are....When will We find out about the 3rd....after We lose all of the Defense, and We have No chance???

25. SteelinOhio

SteelinOhio

Oct 16, 2011
    This x 1000.

• Like Like x 1