1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Turning Mason into an ILB

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Aug 15, 2022.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    well....the Lions saw how he SUCKED when we played them last year!

2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Umm, ok man. You go with that. Stats in camp... that's freaking hilarious.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jammasterc

Jammasterc Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    To get the most you can, he’s gotta be looking his best.

Get something that may contribute or get nothing when he’s cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Steelrules

Steelrules Well-Known Member

May 12, 2013
    If they want to trade him then let him play with the 1st stringers and showcase his skills. If they keep him with the 3rd stringers then they have no faith in him as a player or as trade bait

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Too early to know where Mason will end up. Could end up staying, even if he is demoted to #3. The best he can hope for is being #2 somewhere else if he is realistic. If he does know he is not starting material in the NFL, maybe he will want to stay here if we pay him like a #2.

This preseason is huge for him to shake out where his career is going. If he appears to have taken a step up, probably will be going somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I have come 2 the conclusion that a lot of people want Mason traded....because if...if...Trubisky $hites the bed....they don't want 2 be proven wrong about Mason....and that is sad as a Steelers fan. I'm not a fan of any of these Qbs....they have done nothing as a Steeler, and I don't root for the colleges they came from....not all on here can say the same....So I'm only going by what I've seen in the NFL.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Trubisky tape is not better....I watch Chicago, and I can show You things He has done on that team that will make You wonder How He was even drafted.....Now I swear I hope He has changed....I only want what's best for the team....but people that are so dang sure Trubisky is way better than Mason....50 something game compared 2.... 10 games. I can give You 22 games were Trubisky doesn't even look like a capable backup....again....it's so funny 2 Me countless people complain about not going down the field....now endorse the worst guy at going down the field(unless he has changed).....again I hope I'm wrong, and Trubisky has gotten way better. I hope whomever starts is freaking awesome.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    Ok

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Well said. The old Steelers fan in me wants to go back to in time and watch a Young Ben with his power running game and vertical passing game.

If you can go with a QB that can throw downfield Najee will not be facing defenses that have everyone within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage.

Mason can go Vertical; it is his best quality as a QB.
    Mitch likes the short stuff and really never tries to throw downfield. This is why he was run out of Chicago.
    Kenny I have no idea on.

I was really hoping to see Mason to Austin last Saturday. Those 2 guys have been hooking up in camp for some serious bombs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You write this as if Rudolph's tape is good. It isn't. Trubisky's tape and statistics are better than Rudolph's. He has more experience. He is more mobile. He was better Saturday night. Based on every bit of evidence currently available, yes, Trubisky is better than Rudolph. It really isn't close.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    That part in bold is telling, but we will move past your lack of knowledge regarding the Steelers' first-round pick. I mean, he played his college ball in such an exotic and distant place, so why would any of us know anything about the guy? Oh, wait....

Trubisky was saddled with the offense that got Nagy fired in Chicago. My issue with him isn't the lack of deep attempts. He wasn't accurate enough on them. Then again, Rudolph misses on a few, too. He took two deep shots Saturday. The first attempt was late, but good enough to give Pickens the chance to make a great catch. The second attempt was out of bounds and didn't give the kid a chance, yet the Rudolph apologists were gushing about his ability on the deep ball.

One key component of throwing down the field is pocket presence. Deep routes take time. That leaves quarterbacks vulnerable. The Steelers have one quarterback who has shown he can evade the rush before throwing down the field at the pro level. That is Trubisky. Rudolph just stands his ground even when the rush is all over him, even when there is room to step up and throw, and that leads to problems. Pickett has shown he can do it at the college level, but needs to do it as a pro.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    How in the world can anyone think Trubisky isn't better than Rudolph?

Career rating: 87.0 vs 80.9
    TD: Int ratio: 1.68 vs 1.45
    Record: 29-21-0 vs 5-4-1 (think about that and what you think of the Bears vs the Steelers as a team)

I could go on, but literally, in just about every category, Trubisky is markedly more accomplished and quantitatively better.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    For the love of all get out.
    We don't need a flare up of std.
    Hee Hee
    Lol
    Yuck yuck yuck

14. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I wouldn't judge Trubisky by what he did with Chicago, they had no talent on offense except Allen Robinson, Matt Nagy also wasn't a good OC/HC.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Hey are you a pro scout or something? How do you know how Kenny will do against NFL Defenses?

I have never seen Kenny face a starting NFL defense, so I will admit that I have no clue on how he is going to do. He was playing scrubs in the 2nd half in that first game and that first TD where he actually threw the ball while jumping scared the hell out of me as it reminded me of one of Tim Tebow's jump passes; a play that worked great in college, but was a disaster in the NFL.

16. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  17. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I hope Reindeer plays like a #1 quarterback before he reverts to playing like #2.

18. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    So they just gave Him coach of the year because they felt sorry for Him????:shrug:
    Also John Fox was his 1st coach....so this is already His 4th coach....Yeah ....tell me something else. Trubisky has watched 2 coaches get fired....let's hope it's not 3.

19. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    What He not saying is Trubisky got John Fox, and Coach of the Year Nagy fired.
    So that only time Trubisky actually threw down the field, and missed by 7 yards ....that didn't happen.
    Let Me ask You, and everyone that says it was all whomever was the coach at Chicago....how many actual Chicago games did You actually watch???? Not highlights...
    Not stats(You Yourself have said many times stats don't tell the whole story ) :shrug:

20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well since We've only beat the Bears one time in the last 4 games ....You tell me:shrug:

21. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You said you had no idea. We all should have some idea. Of course, we don't know what he will do for certain, but it likely takes willful ignorance to have no idea about him.

22. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They don't tell the whole story, but they do tell a story. I've seen more than highlights. He didn't get coaches fired. Nagy is widely regarded as a terrible head coach who ruined Trubisky. I'm sorry you are too busy making excuses for Rudolph to see that.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    i had to throw in the towel on this notion of being able to tell an NFL Franchise QB by watching them play in college.

My first big bust was Heath Shuler; I would have bet the farm on this guy to make it big.
    Then there was David Carr. The reason a lot of people say you don't throw your rookie to the wolves right out of the gate.
    I also like Joey Harrington in the 2002 draft with Carr.

And I don't know why, but I really thought the Steelers should have brought in Josh Rosen last year and I even started a thread here this year that was Marcus Mariota or bust this year. I still think Mariota may have been the better choice for Canada's offense.

For me the last can't miss QB to come out college was Peyton Manning. It offended me to know end how much the press was trying to hype Ryan Leaf over Peyton in that draft.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I remember the "pundits" narrative that draft. Manning was more pro ready but he was as good as he was going to get. Leaf on the other hand had a much higher ceiling because of his superior athletic skills. Just this past year one mock draft had us moving up in the top ten in the draft to take Sam Howell because he would be long gone by pick #20. I think he went in the 4th or 5th round.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Let's hope Mason some how makes our team better a fourth round draft pick next year would do just fine. Or a package with him included for a ILB would help also.:drinks:

• Like Like x 1