1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about Pickens

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Quadrupleyoi, Aug 15, 2022.

1. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I have seen nothing but hard work and good play from big George so far. I know he slipped in the draft because he was coming off an injury, but there were the low mumblings about “character issues” too. I know it is unpleasant to talk about this stuff, but does anyone know specifically what that was?
    Tomlin does not get enough credit for getting productive years out of players with “character issues”. He got good production out of AB and Bell and no one else really did. There have been some who he has not been able to reach and he moved them right along in short order..

Maybe he is The Horse’s Ass Whisperer.

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Kreighoff

Kreighoff Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2017
    Until I hear or read something credible I will give the young man the benefit of the doubt. So far he has done everything right works hard and shows a huge amount of promise. I know its preseason but if all his catches were just him being wide open Id say its just pre season. His ability to create separation and contort his body to make contested catches and catch balls that are on the outer limits of his catch radius are all good signs.

Sometimes rumors are just that rumors, or it could be fake news put out by a team trying to steal him in later rounds by scaring off other teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Beerburgh

Beerburgh Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2022
    I think it was mostly regarding him getting in a fight or two with other players. Ive heard nothing about off the field concerns.

4. steelersrock151

steelersrock151 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    There were two incidents- one which he could be blamed for, one he shouldn't.
    The one he should be blamed for is throwing a water bottle at an opposing player. Stupid, uncalled for.
    The one he shouldn't be blamed for was a fight. He didn't start it, he just ended it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    he is confident and he likes to show that confidence with talking and some people might interpret that confidence and talking on the field as "character issues", hey, the way I see it is we drafted him, the scouts who bit on the "character issues/very confident trash talker on the field" did not. i dont care how other team's scouts misread Pickens, we got him. if he stays healthy offensive ROTY according to my tea leaves

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
  6. OH Steeler Fan

OH Steeler Fan Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2019
    I didn't see him throw a water bottle, he just squirted water out of it onto a player.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Everything I’ve read about him indicates that he is a great kid but has some growing up to do. When we hear the words ‘character issues’ we all probably worry that they’ve drafted AB marque II but I don’t think that’s the case here. AB was a one off in almost every sense of the word.

8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Oh boy not another immature football player. Why can't they just play the game,
    and leave the extra-curricular stuff out of it? Like Larry Fitzgerald. John Stallworth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    LOL I think 90% of the rookies are immature football players? Let's let him be in the league a little while before we expect him to act like Larry Fitzgerald and John Stallworth - who, incidentally, were also young rookies at one point too.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    As long as he is just focused going forward which I see, and does his job which I see, he is going to be a force to reckon with as I see in the minimal time he has been a Steeler. The steal of the draft he is called and could have been a 1st round pick sans the injury. Since the extension of Johnson and Pickens lighting it up the writing might be on the wall for Claypool.

• Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

There were a couple of incidences. The firstwas an incident in a game vs Tennessee. A Tennessee player was tackled on the sidelines near pickens’ feet. He had a water bottle in his hand and proceeded to squirt water in the players face as he was laying on the ground. The other was an in game fight. My impression of the fight was that the db went for him first and Pickens got the better of him. There might be other issues the program kept under wraps for the most part.

12. Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt

Ravens_Fan_N_Pitt Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2018
    He will be one of the best guys to catch the ball for the Black and Gold. That says a lot with the history you guys have but definitely the biggest steal so far.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Let's hope Mr . Kiddie Camp and BFF Popcorn can for once show some discipline towards the young players...Instead of trying to be Mr. Cool and their best friend...Then they take a mile and walk all over him, from what I can see ..

Last edited: Aug 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    From what I heard both were very mature on the field even as rookies....of course I was not there personally, but from what I've heard..., but yes ....We were all different at 18 - 25 then we were beyond that age.

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  15. SteelerJJ

SteelerJJ Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Pickens was in the car of a player who was arrested but he was not- got suspended for a 1/2 due to a fight ... I couldn't find anything else. Nothing big.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Rel

Rel Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2018
    It wasn’t character issues, scouts questioned his maturity.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    Nope. We’re all the same, we just learn to hide it.

I read that somewhere…

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  18. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    But were mature and acted like they have been there before. The accolades will come if they perform.

19. METALMAN_68

METALMAN_68 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2022
    I'm sorry but old dudes telling guys barely in their 20's to be mature is laughable. What, because they make a lot of money? If anything, that makes it worse. If some of you were mature at 21, good for you. I was not. I was a punk. Part of me still is. Guys like Larry Fitzgerald are the outlier, not the norm. Don't expect these guys to "ball out" at such a young age against grown ass men, then be shocked when their attitude gets a little out of control. Then again, what do I know? I'm just a dirty sheet metal worker.

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Lets be real. Bulk of these guys or rap artists or metal artists come from poor areas, myself included, give me millions of dollars at the age of 21 and what could go right? I definitely could see myself acting an idiot at 21 throwing it away at strip joints (shoot, I did as much without the millions).

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    He was suspended and ejected from a game as a freshman, and the hothead lable stuck...... Nothing to see here

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. troybellringer55

troybellringer55 Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    I don't care I put $100 on him on FanDuel to witn NFL OROY.

$2600 back if he wins it.

I like his chances.

Especially Johnson and Claypool aren't exactly healthy all the time, you can see Pickens being a top dog quick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    It’s nothing. I actually laughed at the water bottle thing. He shouldn’t have done it but I still laughed.

Theres been only one AB, none of the other divas even compared to AB’s cray cray. I’m not worried Pickens will go down that path. Probably just normal WR diva stuff at most you might see from him.

I’m excited to see the catches he makes for the black and gold :herewego!:

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I also read that somewhere. LoL :thumbs_up:

25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I also laughed. I remember really wishing We had Him on the Razorbacks.

• Like Like x 1