1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on preseason wk 1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Aug 14, 2022.

1. Steel_Elvis

Steel_Elvis Staff Member Mod Team

Nov 4, 2011
    I don’t think anything has ended for Oladokun other than a chance to be on the 53 man roster for 2022. He’s a guy who is raw, and Tomlin is focused on developing him Miyagi style. Wax on, wax off. I have zero doubt that we’ll see him on the PS this year.

• Like Like x 1
  2. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    tent

Not sure Spillane is the answer, but at least he sticks his head in the pile and not afraid of contact. Which Bush does not do, he is hesitant to make contact and backs away and let's others do the hard hitting. You can't have that from a middle linebacker, did the same last year. Face it he is a bust and not worthy of being a started middle linebacker in the NFL.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    They must do better. I didn't see anything Saturday showing improvement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Wonder if any of the other players have remarked about what kind of skills he has shown during practices even though no reps? Sometimes you can see if someone has something by how they move, throw, grasp the playbook, etc. Curious if Tomlin sat him down and set expectations on what they plan to do with him? At least he has a foot in the door at an NFL camp which may or may not mean something long term somewhere. JMO>

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    That's my one big hit against the game.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I still contend it is DB play that is leading to the poor play in the running game.. Having to run Cover 2 or more to defend the pass just leaves to many running lanes.. We need to be able to play some man and single high and zero coverage ...

7. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Would the Steelers do the same thing again? I remember getting rid of Landry that left a Reindeer and a Duck backing Ben up. Not sure that was the best strategy available. Is trading MR and leaving two rookies backing Mitch up sort of doing the same thing again?

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    mason will be #2, is my guess.

if we go 3-6, 2-5 - then Pickett will be in by mid-season. If we are hanging around .500, I'd guess Trubs will remain the starter. Mason knows the offense - so if a short term injury occurs, I'd guess he comes in as #2 - but who knows!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Dan Moore and Busch should not be starting. If they didn’t invest so much in Busch he would have been cut by now. I know we are worried about OLB depth but can we fix the starters at OT and MLB first.

10. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    i'd suggest we wait until our 3 Pro Bowlers / All Pro are on the field. The major set-back in the run game last year came when Alualu went out. he is back. We have re-stocked the D line. Bush sucks, bench him. Jack will help. no way to make any prognostication based on the first preseason game.

unless we are going to give credit to Flores for the strip sack w 1 minute left, that ended up winning the game.

it's largely MEANINGLESS.

11. PWP

PWP Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am not so sure its meaningless it seems we get out schemed even when our best guys are out there.The other Team wasn't playing their best run blockers either..

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I am more concerned with NT. (Bush and Jack are to small to try and help the NT with offensive lineman)

Watching Henry Mondeaux start and play into the 3rd QTR was pathetic. If they want to fix something it should start with NT. At 35 Tyson's better days are behind him; if he ever comes back from injury.

13. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    there was little scheming going on Sat night. our Front 7 will be improved. Get Bush out now. They will be better this year. not top 10, but better. I've seen pre-season Champs SUCK in reg season, and vice versa. Let's wait till about 4 or 5 to see some live bullets. I think we will be improved.

• Like Like x 1
  14. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Bush I am starting to agree upon.. though slowly. Dan Moore?! One bad rep a season does not make. He is much better than he was a season ago.

If anything, Dan showed more progress in the run game than he showcased during the second half of his Rookie Season. He still has work to do in terms of Pass Protection but he has plenty of room to grow.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

Trading for someone like DaRon Payne would help!!.... assuming both Montavius Adams and Tyson Alualu are down for an extended period of time.

16. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

Agree with this?

• Like Like x 1
  17. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Moore might be just fine, sometimes, young guys just have to play. Who is better suited at LT? Bush sucks. no upside there.

18. Charlie shasta

Charlie shasta Active Member

Aug 11, 2022
    Bush looked horrible. Spillane did not look much better. I thought are secondary played pretty good. Norwood is going to have a good year.

19. Steelresolve

Steelresolve Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2022
    Could he maybe do some curls so his biceps don’t look like an 80 year old women. Perhaps that will help him. Not sure how a professional athlete being paid to be strong can lack muscle tone.

20. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    yes, some nice young blood in the secondary. who is next in depth after Bush and Spillane?

21. Da Stellars

Da Stellars Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    I'm really intrigued by Jaylen Warren. I hope he has a legit shot to make the team, not sure how the coaching staff sees the RB position?

22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Wr room. I think gunner makes it. We have seen wrs shine in recent training camps, cut and do nothing when picked up..that said I think all of them look legitimate, Boykin has mad sp team skills which gives him a leg up. Agree totally on C Heyward. He is not a single position player, but offers so much potential. If he lights up on sp teams you have to find a way to keep him.

23. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Pickett only had one good year in college though.

24. Dagmire

Dagmire Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2019
    It doesn't matter if the starters were playing or not, the scheme still sucked and if coach T plays the same scheme then the run will hurt them again this year.

25. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I think Myles Jack was the only starter in the front seven that started the game.