1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

O-Line

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by mac daddyo, Aug 15, 2022.

1. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    had there moments. much better run blocking than pass blocking.

daniels looked bad in pass protection.

leglue played well at guard.

dotson hurt again? does this mean greeen will be the starter? could this end dotson? hassenauer didn't play too bad. leglue and haeg on the right didn't look bad, especially in the run game.

it's still early. this week may tell more of a story for this group. :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  2. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Barring any serious injuries to our starters ,my biggest worry for the Steelers this season is the OL and
    play calling. Just my opinion. We can compete if they play well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Still very early, some worrying lapses in concentration from Greene and Moore on the left side. It will probably take the whole line a few regular season games to settle in. Daniels has been a bit disappointing in camp by all accounts, going on what the beat guys have been saying. The team gave him a lot of money and were probably looking to him to provide some leadership, let’s hope he comes good.

That Seattle pass rush is one of the worst in the league and they didn’t even have all their starters so there are much bigger tests ahead.

It is not a convincing group to say the least but the only way is up from 2021 (albeit I remember that being said last year too).

They will probably need to invest a first or at least a second round pick on a foundation guy for this unit in 2023. If Dan Moore Jr can progress and be a legit long term starter at LT it would be fantastic and would solve a big problem. You can get a starting Guard / Center in the second round most years.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i think dotson has to get healthy and stay healthy to have a shot at sticking around. i hate to say it but leglue played better than any guard that was on the field Saturday. cole can play guard as well as center. not sure they make a big move but Moore, Cole, Hassenauer, LeGlue, Okrafor may be the best group as of right now. i wonder if that has been looked at? or ever will be? :cool:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Interestingly Merril Hoge had a segment right before the game on Daniels showing how well he played against Suh and Donald

• Like Like x 1
  6. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    i do believe he will fix some of this. (hopefully). he is an animal in the run game. i didn't think when we got him that he would be the issue on the line. he was one guy i wanted us to get the most. sort of surprised we actually did. has to tighten this part of his game up. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  7. SteelersFanIrl

SteelersFanIrl Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2019
    You have to play Daniels with his pedigree and after giving him all that $$.

I think if everyone is healthy four of the five spots are probably set, with Green, Dotson and maybe Leglue fighting for the remaining Guard spot.

Mason Cole did ok at Center and has at least some pro level experience there. I don’t know if he is the long term solution but it’s probably his job to lose for 2022 at this stage?

8. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    I think it will remain but draft position and pedigree be rammed at some point if it isn't corrected, because we pay najee and the qbs a good bit too.:cool:

9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    . I saw a review on Daniels on YouTube bt Merrill Hodge. He broke down some plays against some of the best defenders and really liked him. So disappointed in seeing this slow start. But totally agree with your assessment.

10. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    We haven't have great T play for the past 3 years. The alleged upgrade with a couple of mid level FAs is laughable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

More of this please :thumbs_up:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    If I was coach Tomlin, I would have a sit down with OL coach and OL and Te,s and have an attitude adjustment with these players. Our season hinges on this unit, the TE's will be useless in the passing game if we have to hold them into block.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I saw that, was a very small sample of course, but Hoge was high on him. There comes a point where you wonder are they just that bad as individuals, scheme, coaching? What I saw last night was a crap fest.

14. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    I have zero confidence this coaching staff will fix the O line problem. I think what you see now is what you're going to see in the season. I have no clue why this is so. I was really encouraged in the beginning of free agency when the steelers signed a couple O linemen. Seems they signed the wrong ones. Perhaps they can go dumpster diving when the final cuts come around but not sure what you're going to get at that point. Let's hope they can fix this mess.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. mytake

mytake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2016
    The o-line reminds me of how long it took or is taking to fix the ILB position pre-Shazier and post-Shazier. The same with the CB position pre-Haden. And now the o-line post- Pouncey and DeCastro. The biggest issue is still post-Big Ben, but if the o-line is bad, the whole offense is going to suffer for it, including Trubisky and Pickett. They will either beat Roethlisberger's release times, or be scrambling once they catch the shotgun snap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    Debated making a thread about our oline.

1. There's 2 new players. one is rotational with hopes he becomes a worthy starter.
    2. With 2 people it's going to take a little while until they click.
    3. This is why i want trubisky to start. Because he can run away better from a collapsing pocket. After that I would like to see pickett.
    4. If this line continues. Then next year will be hard finding a FA due to our cap. Therefore it'll be drafting in the first and hoping someone falls to us.

17. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    If this line can get it together by week 4, i think we have a shot too being contenders to a post season.

• Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
  18. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Per @pff, Steelers running backs on Sat gained 14 yards after contact on 10 carries.

They netted 10 yards from scrimmage on those 10 carries.

That means the OL, on average, was getting the RBs hit almost a half-yard (0.4) behind the LOS on every single carry.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Any thoughts of moving Chuks to LT after watching Dan Moore just get owned these last 2 games.?

In 2021 the Steelers were constantly telling everyone how much better of a LT Chucks was going to make than a RT.

21. mac daddyo

Oct 22, 2011
    Sure seems like they want to keep it to young players. I didn't know they signed him and was wondering who he was during the game. :cool:

22. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    And ironically it's said that Moores natural position is RT... I'd definitely flip them.

It's been said that Daniels and Cole know all 3 IOL positions. I begin experimenting here as well. If Daniels ends up our C, so be it.

23. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You get what you draft for in these last 2 years.

When was the last time the OLine did not have a 1st or 2nd round Steelers draft pick?

• Like Like x 1
  24. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
  25. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Dunkle is an UDFA from this year. Definitely a practice squad guy, potentially. Maybe he has future potential.