1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    The QB battle is closer than expected.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Like many others, you took most pro-read to mean he doesn't have talent. You also don't seem to understand that there is more to being a quarterback than a big arm and fast feet. Most pro-ready does not mean he is a bust if he doesn't start the opener. It just means people with limited understanding and no patience will make that assumption.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    They definitely let him take more shots while keeping things simple for Pickett, but that also led to more mistakes. The sack that caused a fumble was partly due to his lack of pocket awareness. He missed at least two open receivers. As good as his touchdown to Pickens was, he also failed to give the rookie a chance on another deep ball down the sideline. He has to keep that ball in play to give the kid a chance to make a play. He threw three balls into coverage, one that should have been an easy interception.

4. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure Rudolph does have the strongest arm. He is more accurate on deep passes than Trubisky was in Chicago, but he's not consistent. You are right about being a half-second behind. Even the touchdown to Pickens seemed to be thrown a little later than it should have been. On the other deep attempt, the ball sailed too far to the sideline, so Pickens had no shot at it.

I want to see Pickett take some shots down the field during the preseason. He also throws a nice deep ball. I think they just don't trust him with the full offense yet.

Accuracy on deep passes was a problem for Trubisky in Chicago. It's not that he doesn't have the arm. Hopefully, he has improved in that area, or it is going to really limit the offense. Based on what I'm seeing, I'd be very surprised if he isn't the starter Week 1. Pickett is playing preseason games with training wheels and you are right about Rudolph. He's just not good enough to be a starter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    QB is the least of the Steelers worries. Geno Smith lit up the secondary and ILB and Dline is still a lingering issue.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    Fitzpatrick didn't play. Witherspoon left early due to what looked like a shoulder injury. Hopefully, he's fine, but that makes a big difference in the secondary.

This is a team that relies heavily on the pass rush, but their top three pass rushers did not play. It is kind of silly to pass any kind of judgment on the defense as a whole with six starters not playing, including one of the top two or three defensive players in the NFL. Watt makes such a huge difference. So does Heyward.

How do you judge the defensive line with all three likely starters not playing? I would have liked to see more out of Loudermilk and the other reserves, but that wasn't the defensive front we are going to see during the regular season.

The inside linebackers other than Jack are a huge concern. Last night did nothing to make anyone feel better about that group. they all sucked.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I thought the backups on Dline and secondary should have played better. Excuse the hell out of me. :smiley1:

ILB is a train wreck. Not surprised.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. Formerscribe

Dec 18, 2016
    You are excused. :hehehe:

Any time Mondeaux gets extended playing time, things are not going to go well. Sure, he stumbled into a coverage sack and the effort is always there, but he really isn't good.

9. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I have confidence in Flores and austin to clean it up as the season progresses.

• Like Like x 3
  10. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I hope we have the depth on the chart for Flores to clean it up. Flores = Vice Head Coach

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree depth is a major concern. Elite starters but usually one goes down and the defense falls apart. Depth is incredibly important

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 1
  13. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016

• Like Like x 4
  14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    “Pickett has the moxie and experience to step right in as a starter immediately if needed”

https://sports.yahoo.com/2022-nfl-draft-scouting-report-pitt-qb-kenny-pickett-173708064.html

"They wouldn't have drafted Kenny Pickett if they didn't think that he was ready to step right in and start from day one. And I think it would be an upset if he's not the week 1 starter.”

https://www.sportskeeda.com/amp/nfl/news-florio-says-qb-kenny-pickett-likely-starter-steelers-2022

“No one”..

15. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    mike florio said it’s be an “upset” if he isn’t that day 1 starter. But hey.

16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    no I didn’t because I thought prime example last yr that Lawrence was pro ready and talented. The two don’t need to be mutually exclusive. I said him being pro ready was the only reason his ability warranted a first round pick like Mac Jones for example.

I said he doesn’t have outwordly talent or transcendent talent. While yes In the past nfl you didn’t need a guy who was supreme talent or had soemthing special about him that made him standout but in this nfl with these level of qbs and the rule changes, it’s best you get that. That’s why the rams got rid of Goff for Stanford, despite goff being a very good nfl qb. They needed a it factor at that position. Not just another guy who’s good.

17. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    Florio:lolol:

18. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    This could end up like Chargers situation with Brees and Rivers. Trubisky could be good enough to win playoff games with a good team around him. See Matt Stafford. What the hell do the Steelers do then? Same with Foles.

19. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    do you not see the qbs in the afc? You’re not beating them by just thinking you’ll just stop them on offense with a low scoring game.

20. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Hey someone pays him to talk about the game.

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    hes not Matt Stanford.

22. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Trubisky played very well without Muth, Harris, DJ and Claypool. Your analysis is flawed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I can guarantee the Steelers/Bengals game, week 1, will go down to the wire. Bengals will underestimate the Steelers and it will come back to bite them. Let's face it...they are still the Bungles.

24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    while I think the bengals are being vastly overrated due to catching several breaks last yr, their still a good team. I think week 1 will be close due to it being a division game but still I was talking about the entire AFC. Not just the bengals.

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    matt Stafford is one of the greatest arm talents to ever play. That’s not trubisky..

• Agree Agree x 1