1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

My thoughts on preseason wk 1

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by blackandgoldpatrol, Aug 14, 2022.

1. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    1. George Pickens is the real deal

2. Liked Kenny Pickett's mobility and ability to pick apart the defense, but still need to see him throw the ball down field a bit

3. If coach Tomlin wants the best on the team, and not just a veteran presence, then we have seen the last of Benny Snail in a Steelers uniform

4. Starting to feel comfortable with Trabisky

5. I know most of the defensive starters did not play, but more is needed and expected

6. Dammit..... Where's Chris Oladokun!!!!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    I liked Mitch's ability to scramble as well. The one play where he should have been sacked and he was able to get out of the grasp and scramble for positive yards was something we haven't seen in a few years.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thanks for your input I was just seeing highlights.

4. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Agreed

7. Seen enough of Bush already, not pretty, same as last year. I don't have to see him anymore, enough is enough. He is not going to change.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    The run defense is still a huge concern

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Would be more concerned if starters played.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Well it wasn't against the other teams starter either....So...:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    Why do people care about Oladokun? He's not making the team, he has three QBs on the team who are better than him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    So it means nothing to either team…:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Because he’s a Steeler

This is a Steeler message board

You must be new here

11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Didn't say that...I'm saying we can't say our D is OK because We weren't playing starters....because neither were they at that time. That's all.:shrug::shrug::shrug:LoL

12. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Benny Snail. Nice.

You forgot to say goodbye to Mason.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I seriously doubt they get rid of Mason(unless he ask for a trade)....We always keep 3 Qbs, and by all accounts Oladokun hasn't been really taking reps ....So...:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. blackandgoldpatrol

blackandgoldpatrol Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011

Simple and plain, if you bring a guy on to the team, then you give him a chance to compete..... If he's outplayed and doesn't make it then fine, but it's done with no excuses and no what ifs......
    Coach Tomlin has ended this kids career before it even had a chance to begin... I can't imagine how he must feel

15. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    If Mason gets traded, then Oladokun will get his chance, he had to know he was a long shot to make the team anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    The game was pretty much as I expected.
    They played it to highlight players and figure out the competition for spots.

The QB's played well, though Kenny Pickett gets a little more kudos.
    I still don't want to anoint him as the savior starter.
    Pickens is the real deal, he's going to cause problems for DB's.
    I liked McFarland's work.

The Defense had some holes, but they usually come on faster than the offense, so I am not worried yet.
    Hopefully they get some reps in the next outing.

17. steelers5859

steelers5859 Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Tribuisky will start the season; Mason might command a third round pick in a trade scenario.
    We need ILB help....again.
    We need a backup OLB......
    The run defense is not up to par. They played there 2nd and third string as well and we didn't match up well against them
    We have a crowded WR room
    Bennie Snell should be getting nervous
    Moore Jr, needs to do better.

18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I heard on 93.7 the Fan this afternoon that the rumour is that the Steelers are wanting a 3rd round pick in exchange for Rudolph. That's a pretty high asking price but if someone's QB gets hurt in the next couple of weeks they could offer a 4th round pick that the Steelers probably would agree to.

19. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    I read that Seattle left a lot of their starters in.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They may have , but I seen a bunch on the sidelines.
    I'm just really worried about this Defense.....outside of rushing the Qb.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL. There is nobody behind him. Spillane and Johnson looked absolutely terrible last night.

I think this whole Tomlin gimmick of Spillane being a co-starter with Bush turned out to be a complete joke to the Steeler Fans that watched Bush's backups play last night. I don't know whose idea this has been to make Jack and Bush share 1st team reps with Spillane, but this farce needs to end immediately. Give Bush all the 1st team reps in practice that he can get his hands on to see if Jack and Bush can help elevate Bush's game.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I've pretty much given up on Bush.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SGSteeler

SGSteeler Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2013
    I’ll say this

1. Pickens likely becomes my favorite Steeler at some point this year. I LOVE his attitude and ability.

2. RB room looks a lot better that we thought going into the year. McFarland finally showing out and healthy. Warren looks like a solid player. Teague running hard. Like to see it

3. Connor Heyward will need to find a way onto the field. He’s a Y tight end, and tbh we haven’t had a guy with his skill set ever. He’s built like (and has similar style to) Aaron Hernandez. He was a pleasant surprise (so was his usage by Canada). Could be a weapon in the red zone.

4. WR room is deep. Gonna be some tough cuts. DJ, Pickens, Claypool, Austin are locks. That means Olszewski, Boykin, Sims, Vaughns, White and Miller fighting for likely two spots, but maybe just one? The first four in that group all looked good at different points last night.

5. Myles Jack is going to help our run defense immensely. Just having a competent ILB will be so nice. We’re going to notice a difference immediately.

6. Trubisky will be more than fine. If he can avoid the big mistake and just manage the game and make some plays with his legs we are going to win a lot of games. Mason looked like Mason. Quality back up. Pickett impressed for sure. Obviously still a lot of work to do, but couldn’t have asked for a better start. He looks poised and confident. Made good decisions and showed why he was the top QB taken this year.

7. The secondary will be interesting this year. I actually think it’s a solid and versatile group. Witherspoon and Sutton will be unspectacular but solid. Wallace can play. So can Maulet and Norwood. Kazee looked good out there and we still have Minkah and the steady play from Edmunds. I like the possibilities.

8. OL should be better too. Green is night and day a better guard than center. Poor kid got f’ed by the Steelers last year and put in a position to fail. Moore scares me a bit, but Cole and Daniels will solidify that group. It won’t be a top 5 unit, but it should be decent.

9. can we start the season already???

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. StillCurtain

StillCurtain Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2018

Gave up more yards on the ground than any other team last year. Is most definitely a huge concern no matter if it's starters on the field or back ups. Cannot give up that kind of yardage and expect to go deep into the post season. Hope they get it dialed in this year.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Folks when healthy, Kenny Pickett has done this for 4 years at Major college level,
    He will need surrounded with help/weapons. If he has this help, he and his TEAMmates will win games for the Steelers.

• Like Like x 1