1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Mason Rudolph Is What He Is

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by TuRnDoWnForWaTT, Aug 14, 2022.

1. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I have to admit. I have really been pulling for Mason. I like his attitude. He could have pouted about Trubisky and Pickett being brought in. He didn't. Instead he has went all in to try and win a job.

That being said, the Mason Rudolph I saw last night was the same Mason Rudolph I have watched for the last few years. Moments of brilliance followed by poor pocket awareness, ill adviced throws, and inaccuracy.

Bottomline is Mason is not winning the starting job. I think it's safe to say Mason's upside is that of a pretty solid NFL QB2. And that QB2 role probably won't be in Pittsburgh.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Steelers304

Steelers304 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2015
    Mitch has it firmly in control. Rudolph gives good interviews, looks good in practice, and throws a pretty decent deep ball at times. He's not a starting QB in the NFL tho. I don't even think he's a serviceable QB2. He looks really bad most of the time, then he'll throw a pretty deep ball. rinse and repeat

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  3. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I'm pretty sure Mitch will be the starter but remains to be seen how that will work out. I think he threw more passes last night then he threw the entire 2021 season. My dream is that he fulfills that potential he must of had when drafted #2. I think he's 27-28, a great time to reach his potential. Fingers crossed!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. JackAttack 5958

JackAttack 5958 Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2011
    I think his pocket awareness is his Achilles heel. He has none. You don’t have to be extremely mobile to move effectively in the pocket. Look at the difference between him and Pickett. Pickett is mobile AND knows how to find the clean space in the pocket. Brady, P. Manning and Marino were not the most mobile but navigated the pocket effectively. Rudolph steps into contact and seems oblivious to pressure at times. But…he does throw a nice deep ball.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Yea, I was rooting for him myself. I have to agree with your analysis. His pass to Pickens was just awesome. But at the end of the 2Q it was that moment of the same of Mason for me. I was bummed for him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    Well said. Watching Trubisky and Pickett move in the pocket opposed to Rudolph was quite a contrast. Mitch and Kenny looked smooth and Mason just looked awkward.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Thank you. For those in the back take notes. He will be # 3 when the season starts as Pickett proved to be the # 2 last night.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    I'm not so sure he will even be on the roster when the season starts.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  9. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    It's possible they trade him but we all saw when Ben went down they need him and Hodges

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. R2sojr

R2sojr Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2018
    Mitch better watch out in all seriousness. Pickett had that place on its feet.

• Like Like x 2
  11. TGH

TGH Well-Known Member

May 8, 2018
    Let each one play a full preseason game, let's see who can rack up the most points!
    That's what I want to see, not the bits and pieces, a quarter here, a quarter there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Maybe he'll sign with the Dallas Renegades to be Landry Jones backup.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  13. Pickett's Charge

Pickett's Charge Active Member

Aug 14, 2022
    I was telling a buddy of mine last night during the game that Pit fans have it all wrong. The crowd shouldn't be booing Mason when he comes out, they need to cheer and pump him up. If he has a great preseason, his trade value increases and some team who desperately needs a backup might be willing to cough up a 5th for him.

• Like Like x 1
  14. SteelersFanCanada

SteelersFanCanada Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2019
    It's gonna take more then 1 preseason home game to really make a determination.

However I will say he was making good decisions for the most part but was pressing too much when he almost threw the pick. Also his ball placement got pretty inconsistent.

But man.. his arm is live when it needs to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. bigbenhotness

bigbenhotness Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2014
    I agree I’m still pulling for him and I would hope we keep him but yeah, it’s like he gets rattled and starts pooping himself. Pickett got rattled then came back and looked poised and unafraid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. cajunyankee

cajunyankee Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Mason played well. Not his fault Moore was beat badly and and from his blindside as quickly as his drop back. He made a great play to save the fumble. Thing is Mitch and Kenny are more mobile and played well also.

Side note: Mason has more class in his pinky finger than the booing Steeler fans in Attendance !!!

Cajun

• Winner Winner x 4
  17. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    What you just said is exactly my point. Your description is exactly who Mason Rudolph is. Nothing has changed. He still is who he is.

18. SteelerNole

SteelerNole Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2019
    Don’t know what it is about Mason, he seems entitled. I have a hard time getting behind him. I don’t feel like he has the team behind him.

19. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I also have a good idea of who Trubisky was from his time in Chicago, and 1 preseason home game isn't gonna change that either lol.

I think people just need to pump the breaks a bit and see how these guys perform as a whole.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    I'm not sure where you're getting that from. Mason's career to this point has been backing up a HOF QB that didn't want him on his team. For the simple reason that Mason as a QB.

The kid was dealt a ****ty hand, and has kept working through it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

Jan 1, 2018
    It's not one pre season game. It's Mason's whole career. Yesterday was no different than most of Mason's games. He looks great. Then he looks terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    I've said before he is what he is..but when in his time here as he had any o line at all. In the last 2 years he had one start in the regular season, one called upon literally an hour before the game started. No I do not think he is a viable nfl starter, but I've seen back ups with less talent stick around the league as back ups.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. SteelersFanCanada

Nov 14, 2019
    Mason's been compared to Ben Roethlisberger his whole career, because he's been his backup.

There was also good stretch of time when we were all pulling our hair out watching Fitchner's offense. Safe to assume that affected other QBs too?

Mason can make good plays and he can make bad plays, like a lot of average QBs. All I'm saying is there's a lot of tape on Trubisky too that isn't great. So, might as well take it easy on proclaiming anything at this point.

24. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Actually, he did have time to step up and avoid the rush on the fumble. Yes, Moore did a terrible job, but Rudolph's lack of pocket awareness made the play worse. That wasn't his only mistake. He missed open receivers. He threw a second deep ball to Pickens out of bounds, giving the kid no chance to make a play. He threw three balls into coverage, one of which should have been an easy interception.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Trubisky was a lot better in Chicago than Rudolph has been in Pittsburgh. That is more of a knock on Rudolph, but the resumes really aren't even close.

• Agree Agree x 1