1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Doesn't seem we have a lot of luck bringing in former #1 picks at QB and it turned out like we'd hope.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. winggin

winggin Well-Blitzed Member

Oct 23, 2011

Trubisky was never the answer. To think one year as a backup in Buffalo and a change of scenery would make him a starter is silly.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Silly is believing players can’t/don’t improve

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Huh

What kind of message board do you think this is

:smiley1:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Im.going pre cowher and post 80 SB..but I don't recall any great D, O line or running g game.

6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    When I said that Mason should not be traded because....
    1. He is the only Qb on the team that has actually won us games, and...
    2. He's the only Qb that knows the system, and players.....I was quickly told that was not true because the offense will be so much different now that Ben's gone.....:shrug: People can't have it both ways:shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  7. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I agree with both of You...Because....I watched Trubisky his whole career (except in Buffalo),and didn't think He was very good, but I do agree players can get better, but has He????:shrug:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Even changed slightly it's not a totally different offense overall. Just parts they used for and because of ben. It doesn't mean the rest wasn't learned. Just not run weekly. Our rookie should be somewhat familiar with it too. He's just learning other things too though. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Right? The guy hasn't even take the field in an actual game and he already isn't the answer?

• Like Like x 2
  10. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    he may not be the answer. However, the blanket statement he sucks is foolish. Players work on their craft and do improve. It happens every single year with every single team. Some players improve enough to have long term careers while others don’t. This broad stroke crap is tired. Let’s see how things play out before tossing players to trash heap. Look at James Harrison. Hell they were ready to cut Antonio Brown because of his struggles learning the playbook.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    jesus tap dancing Christ man take a ****ing stand for once :lolol: mr waffle

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  12. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  13. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    I see others saw how the QB's situation is fairing so very early. Regardless what happens IMO it's going to be a shaky season under center.

Nothing against Trub but I'm thinking he'll be pretty much a flub. CANNOT see Mason as a starting QB for 17 NFL games, hell I have trouble seeing him at all. Pickett remains to be seen. Obviously Burrow had great sophomore season. Be curious how Mac Jones and Trevor Lawrence do this season. I think it's their sophomore seasons. That said I'm not expecting any type of miracle season from Pickett.

Steelers have some solid players but not at the most important position.

I remember the year Ben went down and we still ended over .500. Tomlin got a tad bit of respect on here. Steelers finish .500 (please no damn tie) or better Tomlin might get some accolades because IMO our QB situation for 2022 is not desirable. I just hope Pickett watches, learns and gets some real playing time in because I think he is our guy come 2023.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    Both was is how we do it around here. That way we ate always correct lmao.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  15. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    Well now he did have 4 years in Chi-town 64 TD's, 37 INT. but yeah nothing but an INT in Buffalo. And that damn playoff loss at home.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    I think.thats the unwritten plan. If the team is out of the p/o picture then you bring him.in for experience without really to much expected from.him. There is no greater prep than real game experience, but it can derail someone by just throwing him to the wolves to early. After signing Mitch and having MR they knew what they had was stop gaps.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Quadrupleyoi

Quadrupleyoi Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2017
    I would like to see this year’s oline prove itself before Pickett is thrown in there. There was a reason last year that Big Ben was getting rid of the ball faster than Art Modell getting out of Cleveland, and it wasn't because he wanted to. If the line is not better than it was last year, Pickett or whoever is under center will be turned into ground beef.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Be curious to see how the reps are given out on Friday Nights practice.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Confluence

Confluence Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2017
    I think all 3 are in the running. each one of these Qb's has their shades of grey. the o-line has to not be a detriment, they have to support the development and adjustment of these Qb's to Canada's offense, as Claypool said in a recent interview he has no idea how its going to play out. For him to say that means he has not been overly impressed with one guy. its an open competition

• Like Like x 1
  20. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 4
  21. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    On the same thought, you cannot say Mason sucks in general for his play behind Ben. The only real knock on Mason is following an HOF QB and they were not the same style of QB. That will haunt any QB who starts game 1 this season.

• Like Like x 2
  22. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LOL

That said MT really sucks. we are now just getting exposed to it. it will be a long season. good news is that we will see the future sooner rather than later - Pickett will play soon...

23. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    true. i don't think mason has 'it' - but he may be our best option to start the season. may the best man win

• Like Like x 2
  24. mikeyg

mikeyg Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    OLINE SUCKED / blew last year. We will see, spent money and made acquisitions to improve this group. Is our OLINE coach any good? I am not sure.....

25. strummerfan

May 9, 2012

Mason could play lights out and some will still crap on him. It’s the nature of the beast. For a few years after Bettis retired fans would yell and scream about having to draft another Bus. Hello? He’s the anomaly not the norm. Same with Troy. He was a once in a generation player. They sure as hell don’t grow on trees

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1