1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    As long as the defense holds the opponents to 10 points a game :hehehe:.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    Trubisky is really struggling so far. I know the Steelers want him to win the job because they know Rudolph isn’t the answer and Kenny is a rookie but man o man Trubisky just isn’t any good.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011
    You think Mason could be the future? Man thats just not happening.

Pickett could have a strong preseason and possibly secure the starting job but I think he will likely be on the bench and then take over at some point during the season. Pickett is the guy they obviously want to be the future, just a matter of him being ready in time or not.

If it turns out both Trubisky and Pickett are balling, that a good problem to have.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    It really is. We have no idea how Pickett will emerge, but the best option is to let him sit and learn.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Which would be dumb.....don't You agree.....if He is out playing everyone???
    That would be like owning a good vehicle, but because You just bought a newer one even though it's having problems....that's the one You take on a long trip.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  7. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    You have to wonder how long they wait until they start giving someone else 1st team reps?

But, without DJ and Claypool is any QB really getting 1st team reps?

10. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Ben wasn’t very good the last two years but I feel like a lot of fans on here have a very short memory of life before Ben. I’ll fill you in even with great defenses offensive lines and running games it wasn’t pretty. This current Steelers team have none of the above and don’t have a quality QB. Rude awakening is around the corner unfortunately.

DJ holding out certainly isn’t helping any of these QBs though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    They are still the Qb with the 1st team Oline....So..:shrug:
    Like I've said I really don't care who the Qb is .....I just want whoever is playing the best. Not who we paid the most, or whatever.

12. DJ18Baller

Dec 8, 2021
    Most every preseason power ranking I have seen have the Steelers mid 20s. Normally I don’t pay much attention to that because it is so inaccurate and things change quickly but this is across the board. You can’t win in todays NFL without a capable QB and right now the Steelers do not have one. Picket in a couple years might be a serviceable QB but he’s not close to NFL ready today. I dislike Tomlin more than just about anybody but if he gets this team over .500 it will be a modern day miracle.

13. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm not really excited about the Qb position (as of right now), but with our Kicker, and our D(if we've fix the run D a bit) ,and We play without turning the ball over offensively....I still believe We can win 9- 10 games.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. KMM

KMM Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2018
    If the Steelers are near .500 it will be a pretty good coaching job by Tomlin, imo.

We're below average at the most important position, we may or may not have a wide receiver corps worth talking about, the OL should be better but hard to see them being above average, the defense has some stars but even with those players last year they were middle of the pack. Not to mention, on paper at least, a lot of the conference made more impactful upgrades than we did. It's hard to be realistic and optimistic at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    nah it was Chicago’s fault.

16. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I think Mitch needs to take his Big Ben Day off and let Mason and Kenny run with the 1st string for a day?

See Mitch, this is what the Steelers have always done for their 1st string QB. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I think you're right. Mitch definitely needs a day to decompress. He was ok until the pads came on. Kenny was the opposite. He struggled but has looked much better with pads and playing with the 2s. Right now I think Kenny just needs time to catch up to the speed of the game. His first reads seem fine and when the pocket moves for him to get outside he's fine. He just gets in trouble when he holds on to the ball. I'd like to see Kenny get 1st team reps tomorrow and see what happens. Can always drop him to the 2nd or 3rd team on Thursday, even if he plays his best day of camp. I don't think anyone should give up on Mitch after one bad day neither, but he's certainly trending dahn.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. burghfan58

burghfan58 Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Many have downgraded Mason’s success during the first week of camp since they didn’t wear pads. On the same premise Mitch’s failure should be magnified with pads.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2022
  19. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    mason should be ahead at this point. he's been in the system the longest. he always practiced more with the backup receivers too. with the top wr's out everyone is a little out of sync until they get to know these receivers better and visa versa. it's still early yet. if mason is the best then so be it. so much is new with the offense right now as far as players. the whole system is learning together and if anyone thinks this will come out of the gates as a well oiled machine i believe is fooling themselves. they may show flashes but this will be an on going process. it should get better with age like a fine wine. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Yeah

Like keeping and old beat up car 3 years longer than you should have for sentimental reasons then when the old one is worthless you have to scramble to take whatever you can get

Although I did have a hard time giving up on my 17 year old pickup

• Like Like x 1
  21. Pittbull

Pittbull New Member

Nov 21, 2020
    I don’t think you can discount the fact that Mitch is going up against a ‘pretty good’ defense, and he’s without the top 3 offensive skill players. Still, It sure would be nice to see him have at least a little success…but we’re looking at 2 days with pads. The total number of snaps he’s taken doesn’t even translate to a half of football.

22. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Rudolph again directed the third-team offense, and rookie Kenny Pickett was with the second-teamers for a second consecutive day. Pickett’s past two practices have been arguably his best of camp after Rudolph generally was the best of the three quarterbacks the first four days. It might not be entirely a coincidence that more often than not, the designated No. 2 quarterback has been the best of the bunch on a given day. A common theme has developed in the trenches: the first-team defensive front seven dominates the first-team offensive line, the second-team offensive line gets the better of the second-team defensive line and the third-team defensive front controls play against the third-team offensive line.

Trubisky’s struggles extend beyond seven shots. On Tuesday, a late 11-on-11 practice period had Trubisky go 0 for 4 with an interception (by Damontae Kazee) and what would have been a sack. The final 7-on-7 period featured three short passes at or near the line of scrimmage to tight ends or running backs (only one was completed), although one Trubisky rep of that period was a zipped-in ball delivered to Cody White over the middle. But that might have been Trubisky’s only quality throw all practice.

I dont think Trubisky is the answer guys, Pickett will be playing by week 10 and be the starter going in to next season.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  23. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015
    Let's wait and see how the QBs perform against Seattle on the 13th before we jump to conclusions.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. Steelers-MT

Steelers-MT Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I agree, but im glad we got Pickett and didn't give Trubisky alot of money.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Steel Hog

Steel Hog Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2017
    Vs 10 pts a game with the other two?

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1