1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Blast Furnace

Blast Furnace Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 16, 2011

Just summer time, crazy busy plus there was nothing going on. Now camp is here :herewego:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    :drinks:

• Like Like x 1
  3. HeinzMustard

HeinzMustard Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2015

I hope Rudolph proves me wrong...but there's plenty of evidence and history to say he's nothing more than a backup QB.

I would be delighted if Rudolph led us to victory over the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium. But that is highly unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Have Rudolph prove me wrong. Do something he didn't do in all the preseason games last year. Score a freaking TD!!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Was it because you got tired of it or you didn’t have hair anymore?

• Like Like x 1
  6. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. I still luckily have all My hair(thanks Grandfather on My Mom's side)....I stopped because so many others were doing it. LoL Its like the man bun. I've worn that since I was a teenager for work under my welding hood, but so many started wearing it everywhere....I stopped.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    During the peak of Covid when you couldn’t get a haircut my head started to look like a used tennis ball

I had a small electric clipper that I used to trim sideburns

My wife asked to use it once and just ran it over my head

It was a very short buzz cut when she was done

For the last year and a half I’ve decided to save the $25 let here buzz cut my hair and then we spend the $25 at a local waterhole at happy hour

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    I guess Peter King was at camp and said he expects Trubisky to be the week 1 starter. If Rudolph beats him out Mitch should retire the same day.

• Like Like x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  9. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Who gives a damn about preseason? Look at the recaps of training camp. Pickets longest pass is 9 yards. Every single person I’ve seen that’s at training camp has said Rudolph has looked the best this far. Who knows how it’s going to shake out.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    There is alot of preseason and camp practices yet to go. I will leave it at that.
    Let's see how people do when the pads come on. This is why I could never really get into combines
    pro day's. What is on tape matters more to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. KnoxVegasSteel

KnoxVegasSteel Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2011
    Welcome to the 1980s part deux. After TB we got to experience the lean QB years with the likes of Malone, Woodley, Bubby, Blackledge, NOD, Tomczak, Kordell, Miller, Graham, Tommy Gun.... I'm sure there are a couple more in there too.

Now here we go again with a bunch of losers, overrated washouts, wasted draft picks, and dudes who couldn't make it anywhere else. Can someone please step the hell up and take the damn job please?

• Like Like x 1
    • Very Optimistic Very Optimistic x 1
  12. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    I remember Roethlisberger didn't look all that great in preseason of '04. As a matter of fact... he looked quite average.

13. santeesteel

santeesteel

Oct 17, 2011
    Plus, he was a bad leader.....

• Hilarious Hilarious x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    Well, we need depth at QB even if Mitch is slow to pick up the offense and does not get starting position.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    You got one out of two. Johnson's fumble was a killer. The other play, however, was a terrible decision by Rudolph. He threw the ball to his tight end behind the line of scrimmage with two defenders right there. The best possible outcome once that ball left Rudolph's hands was if Freiermuth had managed to get out of bounds before those two guys hit him, losing a yard. The veteran quarterback needs to sail that ball out of bounds. Don't get me wrong. I'd like to see the kid protect the ball better, but Rudolph screwed up on that play.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    From what I've seen:
    Mason has been the most accurate. I don't think it is even close, maybe some disagree.. but I've seen him hit consistently.
    Mitch, he's off/on... nice motion and seems to have the offense in his head. Has hit on some nice passes though. Inconsistent.
    Pickett - first and foremost, he's a rookie and he's a rookie that wasn't expected to be a Joe Burrows.
    What I like:
    - Confident
    - Doesn't appear to make the same mistake over and over
    - Nice mechanics
    - Seems to see the field well

What I don't like
    - Seems to rush his throws maybe.
    - maybe a little quick to take off
    - I think the playbook is coming to him, the speed of the Pro's is much quicker.

Pickett has to improve through camp and apply that to the preseason time he will get.
    Really, only then will we know what we have.

I think right now, today, Mason and Mitch are competing, but I could see Pickett closing the gap as camp progresses.
    I can't see him ready to be a starter come opening day, but I could see him at #2.

• Like Like x 1
  17. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    Best case scenario for Pickett is to sit a year behind Rudolph and Trubisky. Steelers really shouldn't throw him to the wolves unless they absolutely have to.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Or if the team wants to tank to draft a qb hire next year

19. HeinzMustard

Nov 18, 2015
    No way Steelers draft QB in first round two years in a row. Only the Browns do that.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  20. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
    It happen with the cardinals a few years ago and the steelers have a new GM

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  21. Steelersfan43

Steelersfan43 Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2016
  22. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

Yeah no.

It was a short pass, but it wasn’t behind the line of scrimmage. An argument can be made that the ball should have been thrown out of bounds, but that would have left boz attempting a 58 yard fg. With seconds to play muth had to get out of bounds. He turned up field and fumbled.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Formerscribe

Formerscribe Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I'm not sure which angle you are looking at there, but his feet were still behind the line when he caught it. Even if he was at the line, he had no shot to get any significant gain on the play. If he turned right to the sideline, as you claim that he should have done, Freiermuth would have gained nothing on the play. The throw was high risk for no reward and put the rookie tight end in a bad situation. A veteran quarterback should know better, but Rudolph clearly doesn't. This is a discussion of quarterback play and Rudolph blew it there. At best, he shares blame with Freiermuth for Boswell not getting to attempt the 58-yard field goal.

The Rudolph apologists really need to stop trying so hard to use that play to take the blame off Rudolph for the tie. He missed easy opportunities in that game. He did make a good play on the one Johnson fumbled and he got them into position to try a 58-yard field goal in the rain and mud, then blew even that by making a stupid throw to Freiermuth.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Karl

Karl Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2022
    Nobody really "tanks" - Players hate that so much.
    GM's can put together a bad roster though.

Mitch is a different QB from what I saw in Chicago.
    I didn't really see him in Buffalo, so I guess it did help him.

There's a lot of presumption that Pickett can't cut it.
    Good thing the Steelers don't think that.
    This doesn't rule out things can all go south.. but that has yet to be proven out.

Worst case, all 4 flop.
    The Steelers will do whatever to try to fix it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I don't think Mason ever recovered from the hit he took against Baltimore. It will not be until the preseason games where Mason will actually be taking hits.

So, yeah I care about how Mason plays in the Preseason. If Rudolph comes out and is again still the "Dear in Headlights" player that put 0 TDs on the board in last year in all preseason games, people had damn well care!