1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

What players are you looking forward to watching in training camp?

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by steelersrule6, Jul 25, 2022.

1. steelersrule6

steelersrule6 Well-Known Member

Nov 14, 2011
    I want to see what the rookie RBs can do Matteo Durant, and Jaylen Warren.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Everybody is watching QB

Left guard green vs Dotson

Anybody vs the leftover Edmunds

Bush

Claypool

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Every DB....except Minkah.
    All the Line backers ...except Watt
    All the Defensive Line....except Heyward.
    Then eventually center, and Qb.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    The Elephant in my Room is..... Larry Ogunjobi of course.

Did he ever pass a physical allowing him to compete in the full contact drills?

Or is he in shorts, watching from the sidelines with other former NFL players?

After putting basically all of his $8 million into his signing bonus, does Larry even get a helmet for camp? I will be combing through the videos every day for #65 to see if he is taking any hits during camp.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    For me, my answers revolve around three players. These players, as far as I see it, carry as much weight to cause the 2022 Steelers to succeed or fail. They will be listed in terms of order of importance. Remind you that this is not accounting for the QB Position for that is a separate issue in it of itself (and something I will tackle later on).

1.) Dan Moore Jr.:

I have been on record in stating that the second half version of Dan Moore Jr was much better than the first. It is fair to assume that he has gotten better. The question though remains as to how much better overall?! I have zero doubt in his desire to not just work to be great but be so overall. The results however, will show me just how far Mr. Moore has come.

2.) Devin Bush Jr.:

Should be Number One for most (will likely be for many). As I feared heading into the season, the mental aspect of Bush's ACL Recovery is what should have been questioned. Not only were my fears confirmed but the results overall were far worse than I expected. By in large part, Devin Bush just may have played one of the worst seasons, by any Steelers defender, in some time. Even if we include Artie Burns from Week 5 of 2017 to Week 4 (I believe) of 2018 where he got benched for good, Bush was still playing far below even that at times. Adding Myles Jack is a lot less about adding another hyper athletic player contrary to what people think. Buddy Johnson is also someone to look for despite not performing much in 2021 due to injury. Should Bush be unable to recapture his 2019 Rookie Season levels, never mind losing his starting job but Bush might not be in the NFL for much longer.

3.) Alex Highsmith:

For many, this name... might not appear on the list at all. However, for me, at absolutely belongs on the list, for many reasons. T.J. Watt has now become not just his own name in the Watt Family but also the NFLs premier EDGE Player. Even so, every great rusher needs a quality partner. For 2021, Highsmith was this... to an extent. His abilities to stuff the run were impressive despite the team's overall rankings and he has steadily improved his pass rushing abilities on third downs from a season ago. My biggest question is how much quicker will be capable of getting to the quarterback. Yes, he had a groin injury which greatly hampered his 2021 campaign but him getting nicked again in 2022 would greatly derail the Steelers Defensive Pass Rush; one that still lacks a quality rotational piece as a pass rusher. Health is priority number one for Highsmith but improved productivity is the critical aspect here.

Honorable Mentions: Isaiahh Loudermilk, Chase Claypool, Benny Snell Jr, DeMarvin Leal, George Pickens.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clive From PIT

Clive From PIT I don't often drink...but I'm starting to. Site Admin

Dec 14, 2015
    All.

:herewego!:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    OL battles, DL depth, Safety battle, and OLB depth. Not eyeing any particular player, but battles.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    OL and DL ILB, CB's Wr's, QB's.

OL will be a top priority, if we can get them to play much better we will have a chance to compete.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021
    O Line is still bottom of the league unless Dotson can rebound giving us 2 solid guards. Tackles are well below the line and the new center is average at best from the scouting reports.

QB is obvious but I think barring injury Mitch will start how long he lasts is another story.

Outside Linebacker depth behind Watt and Highsmith is almost non existent. Either of them get hurt our defense is completely screwed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    ILB's. what they do with genard avery. robinson the draft pick. buddy johnson. UG3. who will replace bush. :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016

I personally do not expect Bush to get replaced right away. Perhaps later in the season though I would not be surprised to see it. My vote is still Buddy Johnson though I am not opposed to having Genard Avery fill in for pass rush attempts every now and then.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mac daddyo

mac daddyo Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    not picking up the 5th year option on him makes me want to watch this. when will they replace him or will they. we may have another edmunds type scenario by next year. do they find one this year and let bush play it out or do they wait and be without a starter come next year? if he plays the same as last year, i'd hope they make the switch early enough. :cool:

13. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    As I said in an earlier thread, he would be on a very SHORT leash.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. JAD

JAD Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2012
    Devin Bush, and it wont take long.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steelcityfanatic

steelcityfanatic Active Member

Mar 17, 2022
    Connor Heyward. He has the H back ability of Cooley while punishing defenders like Fuamatu.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    Bush. He's the big question mark for me. We invested a lot of draft capital in him and he needs to step up and play like he was worth the investment. Horrible year last year. Even at the end of the year he was awful. There's still hope but that is fading quickly

• Like Like x 2
  17. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017
    QB

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    I'll be going to camp next Saturday, I'll make sure to see if he is actually taking part in the drills or just standing around.

• Like Like x 4
  19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Excellent

I was going to post a request of this nature but wasn’t sure where to post it

• Like Like x 1
  20. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Beautiful Avatar

21. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  22. DJ18Baller

DJ18Baller Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2021

Expects to be eased in IE standing on the sidelines in shorts all camp

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  23. FeartheBeard

FeartheBeard Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Obviously I can't wait to see TJ in person lol But I am looking forward to watching the QB battle and really excited to watch George Pickens (I am a big Georgia fan!!).

• Like Like x 2
  24. TuRnDoWnForWaTT

TuRnDoWnForWaTT Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2018
    I know it is a generic answer, but I am really looking forward to watching the QBs. Other than that, just looking forward to watching all of the new guys (Jack, Kazee, Daniels, Cole, Pickens, Austin)

• Like Like x 2
  25. Hanratty#5

Hanratty#5 Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2019
    Yeah I hope it's not week 15 before he is "eased into things".

• Winner Winner x 1