1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

QB Battle

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Blast Furnace, May 24, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Perhaps there's no problem at all, and there's a plan in place. Big Ben didn't start until week 3 or 4. And there's a plethora of other guys that sat on the bench for a portion of their rookie year. Patrick Mahomes sat on the bench his entire rookie season, and he was the 10th overall pick. For one that's claiming to be an analyst, your analytical skills are shotty at best.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He's not, Trubisky is.

As I stated earlier in this thread it will be a battle between Pickett and the deer. Pickett has to show that the deer is irrelevant and grab the #2 spot which I believe he will do.

• Like Like x 1
  3. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    Only due to injuries of Maddox and Batch. Randle El was an emergency QB. Without the injuries I feel he would have sat the season in which we wouldn't have seen on of the best rookie QB performances in NFL history.

I feel that Pickett will sit the season unless Trubisky gets injured.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Very much possible. I sense that in a hypothetical situation, if 2022 was Big Ben's rookie year, he would ride the bench behind Mitch and Mason for a few weeks to the entire season as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Most pro ready not so pro ready big difference

Yes

Maybe

Not necessarily

Yes he is he’s a rookie all rookies are projects

No problem actually pretty simple

• Like Like x 3
  6. MeanJoeBlue

MeanJoeBlue Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2013
    I figured "pro ready" means they have fewer bad habits to break, and a lot of techniques that translate to the pro game that other college QBs haven't learned yet. They still need practice and training and time to make it instinctual instead of something they need to remember to do.

Not the same as "pro starter ready".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm sure we can find interesting data comparing 1st round picks that started Game 1 and those that didn't start Game 1. But I'm completely shocked a self proclaimed analyst couldn't see this.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BigBensBigBong

BigBensBigBong Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2014
    To start the season, I`m expecting our offense to do poorly, but stick with Mitch for a while. If I`m right and we start off the season with a bunch of losses, say 1-5 or 0-6, I think about then management would bring in Pickett. However, if almost ALL the blame is on the O-line for the slow start, then probably not.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    We won't start out 1-5- or 0-6 no way.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    LOL, I think if we start out 0-6 we may have already seen all 3 QBs, and then hell, maybe even a return of Big Ben to the field for the 7th game would be a possibility.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  11. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    LoL. That would be terrible.
    No freaking way We go 0-6.
    If We go 0 - 4 ....I let Trubisky walk(That is if He's been starting that time).
    Hell Mason could at least tie us some games. LoL

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I hope that if Mitch turns out to be a dud, Tomlin can pull a Cowher and bench his starter in the middle of the 1st game like was done in 1996 by Cowher. Steelers finished 10-6 and still won their division that year despite not having the right QB in place to start the season. Somehow Cowher could just see that Jim Miller was not the guy after not even 1 game in the regular season and did not need to continue to play him in Loss after Loss hoping he would turn it around.

Before the season started Cowher said he was going with his gut and Jim Miller was going to be his guy. So, this was huge for a coach to be able to admit he was wrong in the middle of the 1st game and immediately change direction. I think Tomlin would have let Jim Miller play another game before bringing in Tomczak.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Duck is available

And cheaper

14. FootballAnalyst98

FootballAnalyst98 Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2018
    No all rookies are not projects. Andrew luck wasn't a project. Kyler Murray wasn't a project. Deshaun Watson wasn't a project. Trevor Lawrence wasn't a project. Etc.. I can go on.

And no I saw people here saying hes pro ready.

15. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    You are progressively making less sense

Now I understand why you let people think for you

• Hilarious Hilarious x 2
  16. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Patrick mahomes sat because he was considered actually a raw qb who wasn't "pro ready" from day 1. He was picked high due to his overwhelming talent and ability. None of that is kenny Pickett. He wasn't picked where he was due to none of those factors I just named. Another example, Mac Jones was picked behind fields and Lance. Both were picke dhigher due to having s higher upside but Mac Jones was by far the most pro ready qb in the draft. Ala kenny Pickett of this yr.

Big Ben was considered a boom/bust pick. Similar to mahomes in a sense. Not picked to be a day 1 starter and pro ready guy. That was Eli and rivers.

Again when has a guy with the average talent of Pickett and his best attributes being he's pro ready and can make all the throws, and he's taken in the first round been not a day 1 starter unless he's sitting behind a already very good qb?

17. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    So when Andrew luck came out he wasn't considered an already nfl ready player and not a project? Do you not know what a project is in terms of an NFL rookie? If everyone is a project the nfl wouldn't even need to call certain players drafted "projects" as everyone is automically a project and no need to label someone as one according to the logic you're using that everyone is a project.

This man literally called every single rookie a project but I don't make sense lol.

18. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    But what were the reasons those said qbs were drafted in the 1st round? Due to their upside or because they were pro ready day 1 starters?

19. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    I thought when people talked about a QB being "Pro Ready" it had more to do with the competition they faced in college than anything else. If you are coming from one of the power 5 conferences, you have been reading pro style defenses for years in college. On the other hand, if you are like Malik Willis, or Trey Lance you are definitely not pro ready, and it will take a long time for you to finally be ready to read an NFL defense.

I think this is why Malik Willis failed at Auburn as he could not read the SEC Defenses.

• Like Like x 2
  20. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Now you are catching on

Good boy

21. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    You called every rookie a project so what are you talking about?

22. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    Why yes I am having a nice day

Thank you for asking

• Winner Winner x 1
  23. BowToTroy43

BowToTroy43 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2018
    Reading some of the comments in this thread is funny. A fair competition and the best QB plays is the only way to do it. The Seahawks should have made Russel Wilson back up Matt Flynn for a year based on what I am hearing here. Instead he won the job as a rookie and Seattle never looked back. I could not care less how many NFL games and years Trubisky and Rudolph have; aptitude trumps experience every single time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    Ok

25. FootballAnalyst98

Jan 23, 2018
    And russ wasn't a first round pick. He was a 3rd rounder.

• Winner Winner x 1