1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Pitt '22

Discussion in 'College Football Talk' started by Animus, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    It's obviously very early, but barring injuries this Pitt team may be the best Pitt team in a very long time. This doesn't mean that they'll win the ACC or even it's division. Miami will be even better and Clemson should return to form. With that said, Pitt has as deep or deeper WR corps than most teams in the country. This group is so deep and talented that Slovis can be average at best and Pitt should get roughly 30 pts a game. And if Slovis is that QB that NFL scouts thinks he is, then watch out. The RB tandem of Izzy and Hammonds should be very good. And Cignetti isn't afraid to have balanced offensive playcalls. The OLine isn't as talented as the other offensive groupings; however, they make up for it with experience. The Covid redshirt has really benefitted Pitt and look no further than OLine. This OLine is akin to a midmajor hoops program with 5 redshirt Sr starters that makes a Sweet 16 run.

Pitt should make a 10-2, or even run the table, this season. Things can certainly happen between now and Thanksgiving. If there's a program that benefitted from Covid and the Transfer Portal, it's been Pitt.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    With Jordan Addison very likely heading to USC plus 2 starting defenders about to enter the transfer portal, my feelings towards this season will definitely cool a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Happening everywhere. Sucks. For every team I see gain a player this way...then they lose a player.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    For me, it is what it is. I'm not mad at the player nor the system. It's just a clear sign that there needs to be a divorce between academia and athletics. If this ruins nonrev sports, so be it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Same ....I not mad either...it just is what it is..., but I will not lie...I think it's bad for the sport as a college sport..., but I could be wrong.
    Won't be the 1st , or the last time.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
  7. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    I am disheartened by Jordan Addison, Pitt could be so much better with him. He is a Superstar.
    Pitt always has trouble with Miami, and the Canes QB is top notch. I hope Narduzzi may have finally figured
    this gig out? I am not confident of this. He is suppose to be a defensive coach but their defenses suck?

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    With Jared Wayne returning and Konata Mumpfield transferring to Pitt, I don't think the loss of Addison is going to hurt the offense as much as people think. I think if Addison was your 2 year starter at LT, it would hurt a lot more. Addison leaving is going to give more chances to younger WR's and TE Bartholomew. As for the defense, Narduzzi just lives and dies with that Cover Zero/blitzing defense. If his DL doesn't get to the QB, his DB's are on an island. Consistently recruiting 3* guys and putting them on islands isn't a great recipe for success. It certainly works in moments, and have gotten a lot of his DB's to the NFL, albeit mid-tier starters/backups, with a guy like Jordan Whitehead being an exception to this, rather than the rule; however, Jordan was a 4*/5*(depending on the recruiting mag) kid coming out of HS.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    Late comment but it was reported the last few days thst Addison is very unhappy, saying he was lied to and has not been receiving promised bennies from.his transfer and NIL. All the hype in the media has created hysteria over NIL, that likely has not been matched in reality. Have no idea how this is going to play out, but as football realignments ensue I think the NCAA is feeling like it is losing clout, whichay net be a bad thing. Unless college football finds a way to totally separate look for tickets lawsuits out the Yazoo. Matters not that football creates opportunities for most of not all the other sports..if they start to feel the pinch look for them to try and get a share that they really have no right to lol

10. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    I personally dislike the whole NIL for exactly how the Addison deal went down and think scholarship $$ already invested in a player who transfers should be paid back first either by the player or the new school, at least in part based on some equitable formula (if even possible). Now I read where some States are considering NIH type remunerations for HS athletes. What's next - Pop Warner, T-Ball and soccer kids getting paid? :facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    It's ridiculous. High school kids hoping fir..and possibly getting millions . How many 4 and 5 star flame out when they face really good competition. I'm not against compensation, but this has went off the rails so fast.

• Winner Winner x 3
  12. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    Exactly like most people tried 2 say it would

• Like Like x 1
  13. Vox Ferrum

Apr 22, 2019
    This ties into NIL. Newsome, Gov of CA is?also the head of the board of regents over Cal state Unis. He said he nor anyone on the board heard a word about ucla leaving Pac 12 until after the fact. The guy at Ucla ( which reportedly has lostc100 million in athletes the last few years) said it was tv money..butcalso to compete in NIL.

Idk where this will go..but it's not necessarily a slam dunk they can leave without some compromise...i.e. Stanford and Cal.

My point..it's not only tv money..but without relevance in conference NIL will go to those who are relevant..

I think the stage is being get to 60 or so schools in 2 major confs. The left behinds will just be that.

• Like Like x 2
  14. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    And IMO.....that sucks.

• Like Like x 1
  15. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    NIL should have happened years ago in my opinion. The only major reason why so many are making a fuss about it is due to the lack of overall structure of how NIL is within the NCAA FBS I Landscape. Truth be told, NIL can only be governed so much unless the NCAA somehow forces US State Officials to play by the rules (they will not).

Expect players like Jordan Addison and others to break the bank moving forward. Bear in mind that many of these colleges are not giving millions of dollars to mere 1 to 2 star recruits. Many of these deals are for either the consensus five star recruits in the country or in the case of Archie Manning, untold levels of finances that could easily set them up for generations.

Has the NCAA now officially become a "Pay To Win" model?! You betcha. However, it is not as though the likes of Pitt, Notre Dame and others cannot offer some of these players money at all. Now, taking on big time colleges with loads of cash in the form of USC, Texas A&M, University of Miami, both Florida and Florida State and even Ohio State?!

That is something that the NCAA and their respective commissioners will have to deal with. At worst, Alabama's days as the "King of College Football" are numbered.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I agree that NIL should've been done years ago. The thing is, I think once the market really gets going, it's going to correct itself in many ways. With many things, it's chaotic at first. Pitt is going to be fine; there's tons of Fortune 500 companies in Pittsburgh. A successful Pitt program benefits Pittsburgh as a whole. There's quite a few firms getting set up to act as liaison's/agents to get Pitt players connected to local sponsors for NIL deals. I don't think that Pitt will have to compete with OSU in terms of NIL money. Things are going to take care of itself either way. NIL/Transfer Portal has it's issues and will correct itself. I'd say my biggest concern with Pitt is will they be one of the final 48 teams in either the SEC or B1G when this those two conferences leave the NCAA or form a new division within the NCAA. Many things look solid in Pitt's favor and many things do not. I think looking at the surface initially, Pitt has no shot at all; however, when you dig into things like brands, tv ratings, number of times getting national television and the ratings with national television; Pitt looks like a decent shot to get in. I could see Pitt as the B1G's 24th school type of thing.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Boy, I am not as confident as you are Animus, and I am a huge Pitt fan. Just look at recruiting, it pretty much
    lay's out the land for college football. The Pgh area has lost many Fourtune 500 company's over the years. I doubt we are even in the top twenty
    anymore. Remember, Pgh is a Pro town and Pitt takes a back seat to these teams, where as in the SEC / Big ten the college is the only game in town possibly for the
    whole state. Pitt cannot compete with these programs as things stand now. And could get worse.

• Like Like x 1
  18. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012

You laugh, but that’s exactly what is happening with children and AAU basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    What an opener Thursday night, I am stoked. Hail to Pitt!

• Like Like x 2
  20. steel machine

steel machine Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2017

Thought of you last night. Not a big NCAA guy but I am an all Pittsburgh sport fan. My brother-in-law is huge fan and lives real close so I walked over for last 8 minutes. He went crazy when they went ahead. All he kept saying was what a game, what a game:)

GO PITT!!!! I was amazed at how many fans were there. I guess the Pirates were out of town.;)

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  21. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Largest crowd in Heinz/Acrisure history. I went to the previous record held by Pitt/PSU. It really proves how much ESPN and FOX are ruining college football with this realignment mess. The rivalries is what makes CFB so special.

As for last night. Early season miscues and the rivalry factor is what kept it close. We would've gotten a better game from both teams if this was Thanksgiving weekend. We'll learn more about Pitt next week against Tennessee.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    We have lot's of work to do. if we are to get where we have been picked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Definitely. We need to get Izzy going and our WR need to be more explosive in space. One play looks like a potential game breaker but Means fumbled.

Defensively, I think we gotta create more havoc. Narduzzi teams typically do, so I think they'll be fine. And the run defense needs some fixin.

24. Rollers

Rollers Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2016
    [​IMG]

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  25. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    I was real disappointed in our OL /DL.