1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

drafted from Pitt

Discussion in 'The Bill Nunn Draft Room' started by thatwasatd, Jul 8, 2022.

1. thatwasatd

thatwasatd Member

Dec 17, 2017
    Steelers Depot has a post about the 2017 draft, with James Connor being part of the 'hit' picks. And with the Steelers sharing a facility with Pitt, it made me wonder if there were others from Pitt that the Steelers drafted. Pickett could be a good one.

2. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Good question. There's Paul Martha back in the 60s. Hank Poteat. Dan Marino.....oh wait. I'm sure there were many more, but not remembering them without cheating. :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  3. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Here’s a list of everyone drafted out of Pitt. Includes the number of years played, position, round…

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/pittsburgh/index.htm

• Like Like x 3
  4. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Wild to think there were guys drafted in the 22nd round. How big were rosters in the 50s and 60's to support that many people drafted. Crazy to think 2/3 of an average class getting cut.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    https://www.hogshaven.com/2020/5/4/21245563/a-brief-history-of-roster-sizes-in-the-nfl

I was thinking 40 and was correct. Yea..40. Hard to believe? Had to be some tough men.

Actually less than that before the AFL came around. 34 players??? A lot of 2 ways guys back then??

• Like Like x 1
  6. MojaveDesertPghFan

MojaveDesertPghFan

Oct 19, 2011
    Thanks Strummer. There really haven't been that many in modern era. Forgot about Olsavsky, Van Pelt and Trocano. Lots of WR and RBs made it big with other teams not to mention guys like Revis, May and Aaron Donald.

• Like Like x 2
  7. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    that shouldn’t be particularly surprising. Pitt hasn’t been particularly relevant in NCAA football for a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Wardismvp

Wardismvp Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2011
    Hugh Green, one of my favorites.

• Like Like x 2
  9. strummerfan

May 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    A story I remember. Pitt was scouting a Rb, Jo Jo somebody lol. He actually did go to Pitt. But when they viewed the film this defensive gut kept showing up in the backfield. Enter Hugh Green. What a player.

Along with Ricky Jackson a terrifying ld duo.

• Like Like x 2
  11. AskQuestionsLater

AskQuestionsLater Writing Team

Apr 21, 2016
    While the State of Pennsylvania's High School Football does not have nearly as much of a National Media following in states like Florida, Los Angeles, Texas, Louisiana, Georgia, or even Alabama, in terms of HOF per capita, PA definitely can contend with the best of them without question. That state is known as the "Cradle of Quarterbacks" for a reason. Some of the greatest ever NFL QBs have played in that state; Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Joe Montana, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino, to name a few. Mind you, this is not accounting for HOF Players from other positions such as Randy White, Tony Dorsett, Jack Ham, Emlen Tunnel, "Concrete Charlie" Chuck Bednarik and more recent legends like Darrelle Revis and Marvin Harrison.

When it comes to producing NFL Level talent, PA is right up there with states who possess a larger population overall. Truth be told though, PA has historically been a state largely known for Football. Thank the likes of Pitt Football, Penn State and the Steelers of the 70s for that. :lolol:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011
    Maybe it was Rooster Jones? I believe he came out of Natchez Ms. Also

Last edited: Aug 14, 2022
  13. Wardismvp

Oct 26, 2011