1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Cap space

Discussion in 'Steelers Talk' started by Mashburn, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    So if rollover is 15. That leaves us with 8.

A. Leave it there for bonuses. Like trubisky getting us a ring.

B. Restructure a contract to giving them more up front

C. Pull in another player.

I would like to see what we have in positions. Therefore I'm more for option B.

• Like Like x 1
  2. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    He will be signed.

And no history of assaulting restroom paper towel dispensers!

• Like Like x 2
  3. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    FYI:

“Boz is excellent,” Smith said. “Boz has done what we’ve asked him to do and he’s a plus guy. Boz is a pleasure to work with and he’s one of those seasoned vets now and he keeps reminding me of that. That doesn’t mean **** to me. We’re happy to have him. He’ll get a new deal at some point. He’s doing very good.”

• Like Like x 3
  4. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Mash...The one remaining move I'd like to see is signing RB Justin Jackson...I've always liked him, and he's actually played really well against us...

But the only problem , even if we could get him...Would Tomlin even play him?...You know his MO is to use ONE RB, and run his wheels off ( his words )

• Like Like x 2
  5. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    RB #2 is going to have to bring something to the table Najee does not, so it will not be a goal line back because there is no reason to take Najee off the field at the Goal line.

It will need to be someone Canada can use in his offence. To me it is a RB who can start in the backfield and then motion to the WR position on the outside.

And then there are the 2 FBs coming to camp. Will Canada be using a them to come in a replace Najee for a few snaps during the game? How is Najee's blocking game?

6. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    That was my question. Is 89 % the mandatory CBA amount the players are obligated to get put of the 52 to 48 cut of profit sharing? ( the cut may actually be different in the cba). It's is clear as mud when you say 89% ., but the players share is based on another formula.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Disco1981

Disco1981 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2017
    So,Like I said Justin Jackson :lolol:

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  8. CK 13

CK 13 Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2011
    When you have positive cap money why would you want to restructure anyone?

Restructures are use for cash when your pressed up against the cap in which they aren't.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    To front load it, that way next year you have more. We can only take 11% roll over. Abs we are at 23+ million. So why not give 8 million more up front to someone you know that is going to stay with the team. That way next year, you have more free than just the 15 million you could roll over.

10. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Failed the original argument now on to the next one?

11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I was actually being polite with discussing something we agree on. But if you like to discuss your ignorance into believing over the cap during the time of signing a couple free agents too the draft, we can discuss. Because they had us at 8 million then. And that doesn't fit into what we ended up getting to before fritz was signed. And you can't say tuitt got us 16+ million, when over the cap shows its only 4+.

12. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I’m not mad. Forgive me, but you’re too stupid to get under my skin.

13. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Then why make your comment being disrespectful?

14. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    There's honestly no need in being disrespectful to anyone on this board. You have no reason to be acting the way you are.

Yes people disagree on here. But I've only seen you go to the level of being disrespectful.

@jeh1856 @mac daddyo @MeanJoeBlue have disagreed, but they would sit down abs have a beer. You on the other hand are looking to get your beer knocked out of your Hand with being disrespectful.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Brice

Brice Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2018
    Sorry to interrupt the flow... But I thought you could not decrease a players actual Salary from year to year in a contract.

It is common to have the first year's salary be the minimum and then the 2nd and following year to jump up, but I didn't think you could do the reverse have the first year's Salary be say 10 million followed by the league minimum or something like that in following years. Keep in mind this is only for the players actual Salary expense and not the cap number or Bonus money.

Maybe you could throw a roster bonus in year 1 to be able to get the Cap expense to work backwards?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Gotcha. Yeah if that's not possible, then I understand. I have seen them do the signing bonus move and restructure. But I don't think I've ever heard of them just paying someone 8 million this year, too go towards next year. So you may be right.

17. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    having a beer knocked out of my hand implies I would actually sit down(or stand) in any place with you.

18. SteelerGlenn

SteelerGlenn

Nov 24, 2011
    Please do us a favor and don't try and explain it any further. It's just getting more bizarre.

19. jeh1856

jeh1856 Beer is good

Oct 26, 2011
    I think I’ll have a beer

• Winner Winner x 2
  20. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Restructuring takes the bulk of that players salary for the season converting it to a bonus that is paid upfront thus lowering the cap hit for the season. It's popular because it gives immediate cap room for teams up against the cap. It also kicks the can down the road because while getting the bulk of your money before you even play a game it also increases your base salary the following year. It's how you end up with a 40 yr old QB coming off 2 injury plagued seasons due to make 47 million in base salary. It also shortens players career because it creates a situation where you are paying a declining player way more than he may be worth in the twilight of their careers. Heath Miller, Timmons, Ward, and Troy Polamalu were all casualties of constant Restructuring where the choice was pay an over 35 player 11 million a year or cut them and get a rookie. Everyone loves Restructuring until the bill comes due.

Edit: I think you are confusing restructuring with contract extensions where an older deal is updated to pay a player more money than the current deal but spreads the money out lowering the cap hit the next few years. I.E. TJ Watt.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    That's just facts from your own over the cap.

22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    I was more so hoping for a way of saying, "you're owed 8 next year, so we're going to go ahead and pay you this year.

23. thorn058

thorn058 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2011
    I'm not an accountant nor a contract lawyer so I'm not sure what the league and players union's guidelines are on that but if that were possible I'd think teams would be better off taking a surplus and placing it in a high yield savings account or something and use it to provide revenue for player salaries the following year.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Vox Ferrum

Vox Ferrum Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2019
    You are thinking wrong about this. Restructure guarantees money that was not guaranteed and pushes it to the future. So you Restructure a guy this year when you do not need the money. You get 8 million on roll over money, but the money you paid out is due next year as guaranteed...then the guy gets injured in the 17th game next year with an acl. So you have paid a guy money that was not guaranteed..to roll over, that this year negates the roll over. hmmm. Did you work for sears accounting?

• Like Like x 1
  25. S.T.D

S.T.D Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2020
    I'm with You.

• Like Like x 1