1. Hi Guest, Registrations are now open. See you on the inside.
    Dismiss Notice

Flat earth discussion

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by Mashburn, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Mashburn

Mashburn Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2021
    So @jeh1856 inspired me to make a thread on this discussion. I'm not a flat earth person, but I'm also not a globetrotter. I can argue both sides based on my own observations.

I hope no takes offense to anything someone believes or has to say. And instead listens to each other with an open mind and respect each other.

2. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Point one....

Globetrotter says how Christopher Columbus sailed around the world. Does that mean when I Walk around my neighborhood, it is a globe?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  3. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Point two.

Globetrotter says how the other planets are observed with being round.

But just because you stand in a forest, does that make you a tree?

Also looking through a telescope is 2D. So your mind tries to tell you something is 3D, and it may or may not be.
    28C1EF2E-3760-4244-98B9-267484D8E0AC.gif

Also there's sciencetist that have gone on record to saying earth is an egg shape, pear and etc stuff. Yet all the other planets are nothing like that.

4. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Now my negative to flat earthers is a lot get onto globetrotters for believing blindly. Yet they do the same.

For instance flat earth thinkers follow how the p900 nikon can zoom crazy far. And they post images of planets to trying to say they look like this.....
    maxresdefault.jpg

1. If you use a telescope that can zoom. It's a lot better, so you see an actual planet

2. I'm a professional photographer and understand cameras very well. A camera needs an object to focus on and when it gets dark, it can't focus, so it sets to the zoom to being near focus. Therefore you have to use manual focus..... in auto focus I could make a street light look like that the above image.

5. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    giphy.gif

This is how the seasons work on a flat earth. In the summer, the sun gets closer to the center. Which helps with making the days longer for places like Alaska during that time. Which then makes it cooler in the southern hemisphere (which is their winter.... a lot of people don't realize right now it's snowing in south America).

The only thing is. Still in chille the days get longer during the winter (winter for Northern hemisphere). And that's impossible on that map for the sun to be seen almost 16 hours there.

6. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    upload_2022-6-24_1-6-54.png

Flat earthers do not see us flat. They generally see it something like this. So it technically is still round. But it's crazy big, and no one knows what the under side is.

The fermament is kind of like the ozone.

They generally believe space to be water. And if you notice when a shuttle goes into space it's spinning crazy fast and then it sounds like it is in water and dramatically slow down spinning.

7. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    One thing that bothers me is I seen very good stuff that support flat earth and YouTube/google ban it. So why ban it?... and when you ban something, it tells me someone is trying to hide something.

Also side note, did you know it wasn't until 1930+ that globe was actually taught? A lot of us that are older have stories from grand parents how they were taught about the earth being flat.

8. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    I'm here for the comments.... :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hilarious Hilarious x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Ray D

Ray D Staff Member Mod Team

Oct 18, 2011
    Don't drink and post. ;)

JFC, the Greeks knew the Earth was round (and damn near calculated the length of the equator with accuracy) over 2000 years ago. Columbus "proving" the Earth was round was BS even then. They already knew it was. He was just an idiot who thought the planet was smaller than the Greeks said. Good thing for him there was a landmass in the way of his going to the East Indies. His entire fleet would have died of thirst or starvation adrift at sea if not.

Not everything is some conspiracy.

Why ban the stuff? Because it's 2022. We need to stop encouraging stupidity. FFS.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Another against globetrotter is an app called flightradar 24. It shows on their flat map that planes arch.

Screenshot_20220624-013403_Flightradar24.jpg Screenshot_20220624-013424_Flightradar24.jpg

For instance this flight right now. It's clearly shorter to go from right to left. But they arch on this app. (And I've flown across seas and can say this is exactly how they show).

So why do they arch?

Because on flat Earther's map, this supports their claim the planes are going in a straight line. Like this.

Screenshot_20220624-014003_Chrome.jpg

So flight paths support flat earth theory. However, There is a very rare path that does happen about once a month.

Screenshot_20220624-014314_Chrome.jpg

On flight radar it follows the blue. But on what it should be flying; if the earth was flat, is the red path.

Again it happens once a month. And all the other flights support flight patterns of a flat earth.

11. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    1. Yet it wasn't taught until 1930+
    2. Nothing should be banned.
    3. The greeks only proved it by the shadow. Which if you see how on a flat earth the sun moves, supports why the shadow was longer and shorter as the days went on..... so they observed something that supported both claims.

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  12. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    Also before someone calls flat Esther's stupid. Realize globetrotters believe the earth is spinning 24,000 mph and yet the water stays level and attached to the ball.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Water holds a weight. Therefore it should be slinging off since it's not attached.

13. Animus

Animus Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2020
    Coming from someone that served in the navy, I'll say this: go-off shore until you see no land around you and tell me what you see. It's very similar to the horizon when you stare out of an airplane window. Ocean water isn't exactly level. It's very choppy, even on calm days. As for why water just isn't slinging off earth like the rest of us is due to this thing called gravity.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    1. :bscow: They were teaching the Earth was round for centuries. Hell, we had GLOBES in the 1400s! IDK where you heard that, but it's loony.

2. When something is a question of fact, not opinion, then yes. Spreading falsehoods should not be allowed in places where impressionable minds might take it seriously. Yeah, yeah, "freedumb of speech." So go ahead and make your own site. But do NOT expect a major public site to put up with it. They don't have to. Again, this is not a philosophical debate, nor a matter of opinion. This isn't a "both sides" issue. There's fact, and then there's military grade BS.

3. YES. They proved it by the movement of shadows. AND were accurate (for their time) calculating the equator! Something that CANNOT be done using a flat earth model.

:facepalm:

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    This is how globetrotters believe seasons happen.

960x0.gif

They believe the tilt of the axis moves 21.5° to 24.5°. So that puts the northern hemisphere closer to the sun in the summer to make it warmer. Which also explains longer days.

However let's put it into a scale for you. Let's bring the size of earth to the scale of a basketball. That makes the moon a tennis ball and would be 20'ish away. And the sun would be a diameter of 200' and 3 miles away...... now majority find that hard to believe that basketball tilt of 3° makes it hotter and cooler.

Screenshot_20220624-020600_Samsung Notes.jpg

16. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    1. Not loony. There's still people over 80 that will tell you their grandparents would tell them their school taught them it was flat..... I'll try to find the article. But i why to say even Wikipedia mentions about how vast majority didn't believe it until early 1900's.

2. Getting so mad about freedom of speech, eh?.... guess if you were around when it was taught flat, you would be saying to hang the globalist?

3. Again just because the shadow moves farther and shorter away at the exact same time the next day, supports also that the sun is getting closer and further away from the north pole....
    giphy.gif

It's supporting both claims.

17. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    To be fair, gravity is not scientifically proven as a fact. It's still just a theory.

Even Einstein argued against Newton law of gravity. Einstein believed it to be more of mass and volume is how you got gravity.

Also I'm sure you're familiar with a rail gun and a block 1 sea sparrow.

block_1_seasparrow_missle_laserbeam_no_curvature_target.jpeg perspective-navy_railgun_lineofsight_curvature_water.jpg

Neither of those should work on a globe. And if you say a rail gun drops 8" per mile exactly. Then you would be supporting the theory of the earth is just a downward slobe.

Now another theory is the earth is a lot bigger of a globe than what we know, and nasa doesn't know how to come out saying they lied. Which then would make the rail gun and etc work.

18. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    Ok. I'm going to stop you right there. "Theory" as a scientific term does NOT mean what you're implying. It's not a speculative guess. It's the best understanding we have based on all known observations. Like any scientific fact, it is testable, and verifiable. And also like any scientific fact, it can be altered should any new discovery be made. But until or unless new information becomes available, it is considered fact. Let me rephrase that, as it could still be confusing: Even if new discoveries are made, it won't be disproved, just refined. No one is going to one day say "Welp! E=MxC(squared) is wrong!" But there could one day be a more complicated and refined calculation taking something else into consideration. It didn't mean Einstein was wrong. Just that there was something he couldn't know about yet.

Lay people use the term theory loosely meaning supposition (guess). That's not how it is used in the scientific world. That would be closer to a hypothesis. But even a scientific hypothesis isn't just a wild guess. More of an educated one.

A scientific "law" only describes what happens. But not how or why it does. The how and why is where the Theory comes in. A hypothesis can become a theory. But a theory will never become a law. That's a misconception. They're used in different ways.

And yes, there are gaps in our knowledge. Smaller gaps than before, but some theories have room for refining. We just don't have the ability, yet, to do better testing. Gravitational theory works for the most part. It does get wonky in some specific areas. Not wrong. Just not yet refined enough. Like, for example, in some of Einstein's Theories. He didn't say they're wrong exactly. Just that it doesn't quite work on a quantum level. But, for that matter, Einstein's theories have lately been shaken up a bit with new findings. Everything seems to break down on a subatomic level. But that's all for people far more educated and intelligent than I am. I mean, 100 years ago, we barely understood how atoms work. In 100 years, who knows?

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. Ray D

Oct 18, 2011
    1. Again, :bscow:. Show me a text book that says it from that period used in public schools. For that matter, show me the wiki link, as I seem to be unable to find it. Sure, it mentions some people advocating for it. But that's not the same as it being the accepted lesson taught in schools. Certain religious institutions may have taught it - but I'll bite my tongue on that one. Board rules and all that. I mean, my own church jailed Galileo for saying the Earth wasn't the center of the universe.

2. Not mad at all about it. I'm simply arguing that a privately owned website has every right to ban misinformation. It's not a conspiracy. It's an attempt to keep things ACCURATE. Shout it from the rooftops. Write to your editor. Make your own website. The government isn't going to lock you away or fine you. THAT is what free speech means. You're free to say almost anything you want without legal repercussions. But you don't have the right to use someone else's property to do so.

3. Sure, the shadows move in both cases. BUT, you cannot get the same measurement of the equator. That's why it matters.

Oh, and uh... memes aren't citations. ;)

20. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    I do know the moon is made of cheese

• Hilarious Hilarious x 3
  21. forgotten1

forgotten1 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2022
    Fact 2
    Curly was the Best Globetrotter
    Fact 3
    It actually was water some people called it feathers

• Hilarious Hilarious x 1
  22. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    It's not considered fact. Until new stuff comes out, it's still just a scientific theory. So stop adding words to it that are not there.

Again even Einstein argued against Newton theory of gravity and had his own..... freaking Einstein bro.

23. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021

I'll be moving on real quick, simply because the new world order society has banned information that supports flat earth. You can call it misinformation all you want. But it's people like you that got people killed in the past because you wanted everyone to believe like you..... point and case your own church jailed Galileo.

So with moving on. As I pointed out the shadow is accepted as both. But with YouTube banning, you only know about it accepting your belief. And it wasn't until I got you to think just a little, that you understood that the shadow works on flat earth with how the sun moves in and out.

You can believe your ball holds water with its gravity, while it spins 24,000 mph all you want. But until you can recreate it, they're going to be questioned.

24. Mashburn

Apr 30, 2021
    https://www.space.com/17661-theory-general-relativity.html

Screenshot_20220624-070054_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220624-070156_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220624-065740_Chrome.jpg

I watch this stuff more and more every year get thrown out of the internet. Yet nasa even used Space-time.

You think it's all OK to ban things, simply because it's what you don't believe. But you ignore that it is rewriting history and rewriting the truth.

The first two images are from space.com. and you can watch in about 5-10 years stuff like that won't be found. I remember when i was a young buck that would laugh at someone for having a different point of view. And at that time you could find articles that Einstein was supporting flat earth, and watch YouTube videos discussing it. Now you can't.

So watch in 5-10 years Einstein space-time and einstein's law of special relativity, won't be taught the truth of what he said in 1900s.

And don't ask me to prove it was once there. You're the one that is OK with things being banned and removed from this new world order society you live in.

25. strummerfan

strummerfan Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    New world order society? Ladies and gentlemen we have a wingnut

• Winner Winner x 2